Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

1. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    Where is it happening over and over every year? I would like to know their secret. Proximity would be the one factor I can think of.
    Antidotal, every year I read several teams message boards talking about a P5 visiting them. I'd call that over and over. When was the last time it happened here? Opening of the Cajun Dome. Quite a span of time I'd say.

Again I’d prefer we visit a good P5 program to bringing in Loyola NOLA, Louisiana College, and that ilk.

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

It has happened many times since the opening of the Dome.

Tennessee when Robert Lee was head coach is the last time I think.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Antidotal, every year I read several teams message boards talking about a P5 visiting them. I'd call that over and over. When was the last time it happened here? Opening of the Cajun Dome. Quite a span of time I'd say.

Again I'd prefer we visit a good P5 program to bringing in Loyola NOLA, Louisiana College, and that ilk.
    good anecdotal evidence

Again I’d prefer we visit a good P5 program to bringing in Loyola NOLA, Louisiana College, and that ilk.
    When it does happen, I bet the coach relationship is usually a factor. Here is an example of the difficulty we have with our scheduling. We were supposed to get a home game out of the MTE we are in which calls us to go to Kansas and Tennessee. However none of the other mid majors involved wanted to come here so we are likely to play two neutral court games as part of that tournament and we won't get any home games from it. I would also not object to playing an additional road game which brings in additional revenue and one less non D1 game. However the new contract with Learfield makes that difficult as we are required to have at least 14 home games as part of that agreement.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    good anecdotal evidence
    No, antidotal. Express Marlin-hate is the cure for everything!

6. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Hey, you're dead wrong. I've zero hatred for Marlin. I'm just not buying his annual load of crap.
    Again he’s had almost zero success vs top 100 RPI teams, and he’s never gonna change that until he plays more.

As for antidotal not going to convince you. I'm in agreement, but I don't care enough about what you think to dig up every website I've seen teams fans claiming to have a P5 visitor in their future. The fact is I'm not checking to see if they're telling the truth. That's why it's called antidotal.

7. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    It has happened many times since the opening of the Dome.

Tennessee when Robert Lee was head coach is the last time I think.
    So Jay, who swore off posting on RP, are there more? Georgia, and Tennessee don't seem like it's a common occurrence here. Hardly many.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

I'm not debating you. I just do not think it happens often enough to say 'others do it, why not Marlin?'
    I'm sure if you were to look up some P5 schedules, you would find statistical evidence to refute your anecdotal evidence.
    And the joke is -> anecdotal means "evidence" based on someone telling or retelling a story. An antidote is a cure for a toxin, etc.

Georgia (twice), Ole Miss, Mississippi State, Tennessee, Ohio State,, Texas Tech, Auburn.

Just off the top of my head.
    UMASS wasn't a power five. But they were the #1 ranked team in America.

10. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Yes UMass, and the rest Jay. Still UMass has never been P5. P5 has a much bigger meaning because they've become wealthy beyond reason. I just don't remember those others in the Dome.

Just trying to answer your question, Jerry. You said Georgia. And, I think I said UMASS has never been P5 before you did.

Yes UMass, and the rest Jay. Still UMass has never been P5. P5 has a much bigger meaning because they've become wealthy beyond reason. I just don't remember those others in the Dome.
    Florida State came in the first year of Jessie Evans. When Tennessee came, we barely drew over 3000 on a mid week December night. Of course we were poor that season and that was part of the reason for the poor support. If someone like Tennessee came now, after 5 straight winning seasons, I think we would draw well.

Who cares if UMASS was P5 or not? They were number 1 in the country. I'd take a VCU, Wichita State, San Diego State etc over a Vanderbilt or Georgia anyway.

14. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Who cares if UMASS was P5 or not? They were number 1 in the country. I'd take a VCU, Wichita State, San Diego State etc over a Vanderbilt or Georgia anyway.
    No doubt, I attended that game, and Memphis with Penny Hardaway. The argument has been we cannot get P5 here period. Also unlikely to get Big East, AAC, MWC, Atlantic 10. But specifically P5, and Big East because they're still a dominant basketball conference because of money and options they have.

So I had originally brought up only Georgia came to open the Dome. Jay quickly said many more and brought up another P5. Now it's clear I've forgotten all the P5, and other elite programs that visted. But all prior to almost a decade under Big Fish. Go ahead enjoy the forty point win over whoever he's renting a win from. Don't be too surprised when again he's not in the NCAA, and
    Unlikely NIT.

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

It is just remarkable how afraid power programs are of Bob Marlin. As soon as he got here they immediately stopped scheduling games here.

Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 15 16 17 18 19 LastLast

Thread Information