Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Shoot the open shot.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Shoot the 10 footer.
    Over the 3 defenders within a couple of feet.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Shoot the open shot.
    Shoot the J.Shoot it! Shirts vs blouses

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    Last year the field goal percentage from 2-point range averaged 50.4% for all Div 1 teams. The 3-point FG percentage average for all teams was 35.2%.

There were 265 NCAA Div 1 teams that shot 33.3% or better from three point range. So from a strict statistical standpoint it looks like the 3 pt. shot wins over a 2 pt. shot but as we all know that doesn't tell the whole story. The numbers are extremely close and teams will really need to figure out their own strengths and weaknesses. I do believe it makes a lot of sense to do a statistical analysis of your team and base your style of play to some extent on that analysis. It would make sense that a team with strong 3 pt. shooters would play a different game than teams who play "big" inside and play well at the free throw line.
    Correct. I guess the major point in all of this is shot selection. The example I used early on was a general example but I've seen it occur over and over as well, particularly at the NBA level. Also, the last 4 or 5 national champions have not been particularly lethal from 3 point range. Villanova has been ranked in the top 50 most years in 3pointers made but UNC and even Duke back in 15 were not strong 3 point shooting teams. They won those titles with rebounding and good inside play.

I think the 3 point shot is becoming a hotter topic for the smaller schools who can make up for lack of athletes and size inside but the inside game is not going to die off anytime soon.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Also, GS roster is full of world class players that make their system look easy And they hang their hat on sharing the basketball
    Exactly. I think too many people are out there trying to mimic their style but don't have the personnel to do it. The pelicans are one team that comes to mind. The thing is, the Warriors have the type of players and shooters to flourish in this system but they are not just a perimeter team which many people forget about.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Exactly. I think too many people are out there trying to mimic their style but don't have the personnel to do it. The pelicans are one team that comes to mind. The thing is, the Warriors have the type of players and shooters to flourish in this system but they are not just a perimeter team which many people forget about.
    Ran into a cajuns staff member today. He said many of the kids who come to their camp think they are Steph Curry. They all want to shoot from 35 feet. They have to teach the kids there is only one Steph Curry.

Ran into a cajins staff member today. He said many of the kids who come to their camp think they are Steph Curry. They all want to shoot fron 35 feet. They have. To teach the kids there is only one Steph Curry
    Dream killers ;-)

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Ran into a cajins staff member today. He said many of the kids who come to their camp think they are Steph Curry. They all want to shoot fron 35 feet. They have. To teach the kids there is only one Steph Curry

This a HUGE problem. Kids jack up 3s, miss 9, hit the 10th and think they have accomplished something. If my players EVER grabbed a ball and ran behind the line to throw up a shot, they would run until I got tired.

This is the main reason so many kids have funky shooting stroke and footwork. They are not strong enough to get the ball to the rim without throwing it there.

9. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Agreed

Looks like we play Kansas Nov 16th this year we lose by 40

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Looks like we play Kansas Nov 16th this year we lose by 40
    I believe we may play Tennessee as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    I believe we may play Tennessee as well.
    I rather that than playing Louisiana college at home

Those two games are part of the MTE we are playing in. We'll also have an away game and a home game against a like opponent (someone like us).

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Those two games are part of the MTE we are playing in. We'll also have an away game and a home game against a like opponent (someone like us).
    Staff member I spoke to said fans will be pleased with the two other schools that we will play as part of the MTE. However, there is one holdup. Neither wants to come here so they are both pushing for those two games to be played on "neutral courts". We don't think they will be allowed to do that however and what Willis said is likely to occur. One of those will be away and one will be here.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Note the MTE allows you to play 31 games instead of the normal 29. We will still play two non D1 games at home to hopefully bring us to 15. We are still looking for one more D1 home game. We likely will have 16 on the road. That means we play 29 (13 home-16 road) D1 games which are used in RPI-just like teams that don't play in an MTE and don't have non D1 games. Not that RPI means as much anymore.

Page 15 of 19 FirstFirst . 5 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 . LastLast

Thread Information