Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

I think if your Maggard you extend his contract 3 years don't raise his base salary in compensation you forgo a buyout & give Marling a chance to earn more with better incentives.

50K Win at LSU bouns would be something we need to add to Football & basketball contracts (250K for football)

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    RPI takes in strength of schedule.

Here are the best RPI finishes for the Cajuns since joining the Sun Belt

2004-05 47 (Robert Lee)
    1993-94 48 (Marty Fletcher)
    2017-18 65 (Bob Marlin)
    Pretty sure 2004-05 RPI doesn’t reflect the vacated wins.

3. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

But we fans count them because no intentional violations were committed. NCAA was too vague.

RPI takes in strength of schedule.

Here are the best RPI finishes for the Cajuns since joining the Sun Belt

2004-05 47 (Robert Lee)
    1993-94 48 (Marty Fletcher)
    2017-18 65 (Bob Marlin)
    Would you say those comparisons are a bit skewed when comparing the make up of the conference during each coaches tenure? It's not exactly apples to apples when you consider the strength of the conference with a Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico State, a very good South Alabama or UNO programs in the earlier years. These are all good seasons by any standards, but to VO's points, Marlin played the worst schedule and weakest conference SRS.

2004-2005 47 (Robert Lee) SBC Record 171-156 .523% SRS. -2.66 (UL SRS) 6.2 (SOS) #122
    1993-94 48 (Marty Fletcher) SBC Record 148-135 .523% SRS. -1.18 (UL SRS) 5.7 (SOS) #109
    2017-18 65 (Bob Marlin) SBC Record 201-194 .509% SRS. -2.95 (UL SRS) 7.6 (SOS) #156
    2002-2003 55 (Jessie Evans) SBC Record 172-154 .528% SRS .87 (UL SRS) 7.9 (SOS) #131

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb.nces/sun-belt/

5. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Point is using 350 as a total isn’t fair. There’s likely to be 400 in a few years so being in top 200 is average. Marlin has consistently avoided challenging scheduling, but loves to boast winning percentage. He’s a bogus coach with bogus resume.
    From a human body talent standpoint, gauging the top 125 in basketball is about like gauging the top-25 in football.

Football has 5 times the players.

Quote Originally Posted by Balanced_view View Post
    those are good stats, and impossible to dismiss. however about being a indicator of improved wins, i would ask are we expecting his future teams to be more talented and greater depth than the years you listed. all we heard was how much better (talent & depth) last years team was, and Marlin finished 1st in conference, now he still didn't win many if any good rpi games i give you that( he also didn't have many opportunities), but would Marlin having good teams moving forward, and having more opportunities against higher rpi teams lean to getting more wins. would you agree?
    You are assuming that he will have more talent and ultimately better teams moving forward. That is where I bridge this gap between both sides of this argument. I, too, have been critical of Marlin's record and overall conference success rate especially when coupled with his extensions and pay raises but i also understand that the program is more stable than when he got here. With all that said, I'm still most critical of his ability to recruit. Last year was the first time we've had that type of depth and high level talent in this program under his guidance and that was largely due to transfers. I'm still critical of his ability to sell himself and our program to the mid to top level athletes in our own state and region.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You are assuming that he will have more talent and ultimately better teams moving forward. That is where I bridge this gap between both sides of this argument. I, too, have been critical of Marlin's record and overall conference success rate especially when coupled with his extensions and pay raises but i also understand that the program is more stable than when he got here. With all that said, I'm still most critical of his ability to recruit. Last year was the first time we've had that type of depth and high level talent in this program under his guidance and that was largely due to transfers. I'm still critical of his ability to sell himself and our program to the mid to top level athletes in our own state and region.
    I am less concerned with his recruiting than with his in game coaching. Our half court offense is putrid. We have poor ball movement and virtually no movement away from the ball, and our spacing is worse than horrible. To his credit, we have generally been pretty good defensively.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Would you say those comparisons are a bit skewed when comparing the make up of the conference during each coaches tenure? It's not exactly apples to apples when you consider the strength of the conference with a Western Kentucky, Middle Tennessee, New Mexico State, a very good South Alabama or UNO programs in the earlier years. These are all good seasons by any standards, but to VO's points, Marlin played the worst schedule and weakest conference SRS.

2004-2005 47 (Robert Lee) SBC Record 171-156 .523% SRS. -2.66 (UL SRS) 6.2 (SOS) #122
    1993-94 48 (Marty Fletcher) SBC Record 148-135 .523% SRS. -1.18 (UL SRS) 5.7 (SOS) #109
    2017-18 65 (Bob Marlin) SBC Record 201-194 .509% SRS. -2.95 (UL SRS) 7.6 (SOS) #156
    2002-2003 55 (Jessie Evans) SBC Record 172-154 .528% SRS .87 (UL SRS) 7.9 (SOS) #131

https://www.sports-reference.com/cbb.nces/sun-belt/
    During the time UL has been in the Sun Belt, the league was rated as high as 13 and as low as 20. But the RPI is based, as I said, in strength of schedule. Remember, the Cajuns RPI last year before stubbing its toe against LR was in the 30's.

Point is using 350 as a total isn’t fair. There’s likely to be 400 in a few years so being in top 200 is average. Marlin has consistently avoided challenging scheduling, but loves to boast winning percentage. He’s a bogus coach with bogus resume.
    I only used the 350 Number to indicate out pre season SOS was above the mid line. Too bad Tech, Iowa, and Richmond had down years. In an effort to improve this our university lef the effort to bring in Mark Adams. Should be better in future.

10. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

He lost every big game except LTU. Regardless of how his record drove the RPI. That’s why we had zero chance of an at large, bad loses to almost every single top 100, 50, 25 team.

He lost every big game except LTU. Regardless of how his record drove the RPI. That’s why we had zero chance of an at large, bad loses to almost every single top 100, 50, 25 team.
    At the time, game at UTA was big. Game at Georgia Southern was also as it kept us in first place following disappointment

12. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Bottom line Mike, their RPI rank weren't in top 100 when we played them. He lost convincingly to Ga State the best team in the SBC. He's lost to them on a 2/1 ratio his entire career.

If I were looking for a basketball coach for UL Bob wouldn't make an interview list. Yet we're giving him a raise, and extension for one good year in four.

It's not like somebody is trying to steal him away.

We’re now guaranteed a decade of mediocrity or possibly worse.

During the time UL has been in the Sun Belt, the league was rated as high as 13 and as low as 20. But the RPI is based, as I said, in strength of schedule. Remember, the Cajuns RPI last year before stubbing its toe against LR was in the 30's.
    Which is why the SOS schedule last season sits at #156 with an RPI of 65. Stubbing his toe to Little Rock is part of the body of his work. Like I said, I don't join people in saying Marlin has to go and 27 win seasons don't grow on trees, but his best season was against a poor schedule, mainly because of the poor conference teams outside of the top 4 programs. VO has been consistentley accurate on that point outside of your other disagreements.

Bottom line Mike, their RPI rank weren't in top 100 when we played them. He lost convincingly to Ga State the best team in the SBC. He's lost to them on a 2/1 ratio his entire career.

If I were looking for a basketball coach for UL Bob wouldn't make an interview list. Yet we're giving him a raise, and extension for one good year in four.

We're now guaranteed a decade of mediocrity or possibly worse.

I have no expectations in Basketball anymore. Gave up my tickets and I’m now all in for football. That’s the only thing that matters anyway.

We’re now guaranteed a decade of mediocrity or possibly worse.
    I am not referring to RPI when I said those games were big. I was referring to their importance to the conference race. Most teams in our league don’t get any good teams to go to their place which impacts RPI so I don’t pay as much attention to that as some. Last year you were highly confident the best they would do was fourth and you were wrong about that. It is possible you are also wrong about what the future will bring both next season and the ones thereafter. I understand you and some orhers do not support the extension and you have some data to back that view. I don’t think however anyone was suggesting firing the coach of the year in the league and the state. We would have had to make the decision next year anyway and he chose to make it now. However there are not nearly enough of you with that opinion to impact Dr. Maggard’s decision here. I bet Dr. Maggard has not had one person tell him to his face the extension should not occur. I could be wrong on that but he is proceeding regardless. Therefore it is time to accept the fact the staff is staying and focus on supporting the team.

Page 9 of 19 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 . LastLast

Thread Information