Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Marlins non conference regular season record vs top 200 RPI teams is 19-35 in his tenure at UL. Go ahead and defend that if you want, but that is pitiful.
    Shocker seeing you here.

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    Shocker seeing you here.
    Mrs. Marlin, you really shouldnt read this board.

Very original

The landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically since Marlin took control. Being in the SBC means we are as irrelevant as the SLC or any other lower conference. This has made scheduling and recruiting more difficult. All in all I think Marlin has done a mediocre job until a couple of years ago. Last years team was talented and entertaining. That team is the blueprint for what he needs to do in the future. Mix in solid HS players with P5 transfers looking for an expanded role. The key will be to make sure the transfers are not malcontents and can handle playing team basketball. It worked great last year. I think Marlin deserves to see he can replicate it.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    The landscape of college basketball has changed dramatically since Marlin took control. Being in the SBC means we are as irrelevant as the SLC or any other lower conference. This has made scheduling and recruiting more difficult. All in all I think Marlin has done a mediocre job until a couple of years ago. Last years team was talented and entertaining. That team is the blueprint for what he needs to do in the future. Mix in solid HS players with P5 transfers looking for an expanded role. The key will be to make sure the transfers are not malcontents and can handle playing team basketball. It worked great last year. I think Marlin deserves to see he can replicate it.
    I agree he should be allowed to see if he can replicate it. I just am extremely dubious about his ability to do so; particularly if the schedule improves.

As promised yesterday: Marlin's in conference record at UL vs top 100 RPI teams is 7-15, and vs RPI 101-200 it is 28-35. His conference finishes in chronological order are T2, 4, 8, 3, 4, 4, T6, 1.

That 54-86 record overall vs top 200 is a pretty good indicator that Bob's teams won't do well if our scheduling improves.

I agree he should be allowed to see if he can replicate it. I just am extremely dubious about his ability to do so; particularly if the schedule improves.

As promised yesterday: Marlin's in conference record at UL vs top 100 RPI teams is 7-15, and vs RPI 101-200 it is 28-35. His conference finishes in chronological order are T2, 4, 8, 3, 4, 4, T6, 1.

That 54-86 record overall vs top 200 is a pretty good indicator that Bob's teams won't do well if our scheduling improves.
    those are good stats, and impossible to dismiss. however about being a indicator of improved wins, i would ask are we expecting his future teams to be more talented and greater depth than the years you listed. all we heard was how much better (talent & depth) last years team was, and Marlin finished 1st in conference, now he still didn't win many if any good rpi games i give you that( he also didn't have many opportunities), but would Marlin having good teams moving forward, and having more opportunities against higher rpi teams lean to getting more wins. would you agree?

7. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

The truth is probably somewhere in the middle.
    which is exactly where iurnbadketball program has been for almost a decade.

8. Default

Apparently I have Mrs. Marlin’s private cellphone number!! Nice!

If Marlin’s team would have went to the Big Dance, won the conference, and the opening round game you’d still be salty.

It wasn’t very long ago you were complaining about a lack of conference championships. Marlin wins one and old VO moves the goal posts. Stay salty my friend!

9. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Man.I've never thought Marlin to be a world beater.but considering he's finished outside the top 4 once since coming to UL.that's a pretty bold prediction.
    I apologize for calling him bogus. Just oversold.

Here's a question? Postulate this? Bob Marlin doesn't exist, we're looking for a new head coach. We see a fellow with Bob's UL exact resume, and Maggard makes him either the top or second best paid coach in the league. Not the SHSU resume, the UL resume. How many are excited?

10. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post

Here's a question? Postulate this? Bob Marlin doesn't exist, we're looking for a new head coach. We see a fellow with Bob's UL exact resume, and Maggard makes him either the top or second best paid coach in the league. Not the SHSU resume, the UL resume. How many are excited?
    Probably depends where that coach is coming from.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    If it is the exact resume, he would be coming from a conference similar to the Sun Belt.

12. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    Well he's got one NIT bid, a NCAA tournament winner bid on 8 years. I'm gonna say a middle of the pack conference much like the SBC.

Regardless you're excited about this postulated hire?

Quote Originally Posted by BraveCajun View Post
    Apparently I have Mrs. Marlin’s private cellphone number!! Nice!

If Marlin’s team would have went to the Big Dance, won the conference, and the opening round game you’d still be salty.

It wasn’t very long ago you were complaining about a lack of conference championships. Marlin wins one and old VO moves the goal posts. Stay salty my friend!
    I have not moved the goal post. He still has won only 1 Championship and only 1 conference tournament in 8 years. He still has a terrible record vs top 100 teams, a really bad record vs 101-200 teams and a schedule in which a third of his Division 1 games out of conference are against teams with RPI of 201 or worse. I have acknowledged that in the 2 good years of the 8 he has been here he has had a winning record vs the top 200. 2 out of 8 isn't acceptable to me, no matter how good those 2 are (and in this case neither was spectacular).

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post

Probably not many.as I stated in another thread.here’s to hoping he’s like Matt Bragga (being he isn’t going anywhwre).long gap between postseason appearances.but when he made it back.he did so with a bang.

RPI takes in strength of schedule.

Here are the best RPI finishes for the Cajuns since joining the Sun Belt

2004-05 47 (Robert Lee)
    1993-94 48 (Marty Fletcher)
    2017-18 65 (Bob Marlin)

Page 8 of 19 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread Information