Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    Ok, they pick each other . A lot of players that want to pick a certain university aren’t picked by the coach . And certain players the coach picks , the kid goes somewhere else.

Point of conversation, EXPECTATIONS ,
    Be at the top of the conference, an NCAA tournament qualifier on a consistent basis ,No excuses ,WIN.
    I will not argue that our basketball Resources compete very well in our league. However, nationally we have two main issues. One is that all the big boys play 90 percent of their non conference games at home while we play less than 40 of our D1 non conference tilts at home. 2nd, many of the major schools have their games televised over major networks while we are lucky to get on ESPN 3. Both pf those are factors in recruiting, especially the TV pArt. Softball does not have to worry about the TV comparison which works in their favor. Comparing our program to Gonzaga or Loyola of Chicago is not realistic as those are private schools that don’t play football. If you don’t understand how some of these financial issues affect collegiate athletics, just look at data in more detail when you get time. All that being said, i agree that basketball should be at the top more often in our league. I actually understand the view of some that we should dominate the SBC. Until the late season health issues popped up we did last season. This coming season will tell us if we can do that consistently. As far as the coaching staff is concerned, regardless of your concerns or others, Dr. Maggard has made the decision an extension is warranted. Does not matter how many times you or anyone else posts that is a mistake, he will not change his mind. That means Bob Marlin be coach here for the next 3 to 5 years. Therefore I will focus on other aspects of the program as we have no impact on the staff. That does not mean it is not appropriate to question their decisions or competency as that is a reason message boards exist.

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

My expectations for basketball next season are quite low.

I think losing the leadership of Bryce, Stove, and Bartley will be too much to overcome.

Although the 3 transfers are very good players, they don't have the fire that Stove and Bryce had. I hope someone steps up and becomes that leader.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I will not argue that our basketball Resources compete very well in our league. However, nationally we have two main issues. One is that all the big boys play 90 percent of their non conference games at home while we play less than 40 of our D1 non conference tilts at home. 2nd, many of the major schools have their games televised over major networks while we are lucky to get on ESPN 3. Both pf those are factors in recruiting, especially the TV pArt. Softball does not have to worry about the TV comparison which works in their favor. Comparing our program to Gonzaga or Loyola of Chicago is not realistic as those are private schools that don’t play football. If you don’t understand how some of these financial issues affect collegiate athletics, just look at data in more detail when you get time. All that being said, i agree that basketball should be at the top more often in our league. I actually understand the view of some that we should dominate the SBC. Until the late season health issues popped up we did last season. This coming season will tell us if we can do that consistently. As far as the coaching staff is concerned, regardless of your concerns or others, Dr. Maggard has made the decision an extension is warranted. Does not matter how many times you or anyone else posts that is a mistake, he will not change his mind. That means Bob Marlin be coach here for the next 3 to 5 years. Therefore I will focus on other aspects of the program as we have no impact on the staff. That does not mean it is not appropriate to question their decisions or competency as that is a reason message boards exist.
    Mike, the extension is meaningless insofar as determining Marlins future here. If he does not win, he will be gone. Now, he certainly has the opportunity to stay for as long as he wants; but in order to do that he will have to win at the same or better level as in the past 8 years. And he will have to do so against a significantly improved schedule.

The days of it being enough to run a clean program and be mediocre are over. I think you may be right about him being here 3 more years, as the new scheduling initiative is not fully in effect next season and it will take at least 1 or 2 seasons to evaluate his performance against a better schedule.

CajunMike, thanks for the info . I want ALL SPORTS at UL to do well . My EXPECTATIONS are tops in the league yearly not occasionally. Get into tournament consistently not once or twice in 10 years .
    You didn’t answer my questions about facilities. How do we rank amongst our Sun Belt foes? What about coaches pay in basketball?

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    CajunMike, thanks for the info . I want ALL SPORTS at UL to do well . My EXPECTATIONS are tops in the league yearly not occasionally. Get into tournament consistently not once or twice in 10 years .
    You didn’t answer my questions about facilities. How do we rank amongst our Sun Belt foes? What about coaches pay in basketball?
    Our basketball playing facility is best in league. Our practice facility is nowhere near that however as they generally use the Moncla facility. That may be worst situation in league. Coaching salary situation will likely be near top of league following extension. I am not sure of that however. VO is right in that extension does not guarantee the long term as a coach can always be bought out if success does not occur. I am not as confident as he however that the current staff cannot make that happen. Schedule should be more difficult but some of those games will be at home which will be different. Truth is none of us can predict the future for sure. We can say with confidence the staff will remain largely intact for the next three years so focus should be on something else for now.

Our basketball playing facility is best in league. Our practice facility is nowhere near that however as they generally use the Moncla facility. That may be worst situation in league. Coaching salary situation will likely be near top of league following extension. I am not sure of that however. VO is right in that extension does not guarantee the long term as a coach can always be bought out if success does not occur. I am not as confident as he however that the current staff cannot make that happen. Schedule should be more difficult but some of those games will be at home which will be different. Truth is none of us can predict the future for sure. We can say with confidence the staff will remain largely intact for the next three years so focus should be on something else for now.
    Out of curiosity.what makes a practice basketball gym top notch?.Moncla is full court.several goals.locker room.what else is needed?.

It is not court we play on and is 1' short of regulation. While there is a locker room, they don't have full fledged showers. Players generally dress before practice and probably shower back at their apartments. Coaches offices are also in Dome which is different from practice facility. These are inconveniences and not an excuse for lack of success. Other resources make up for this and we are in better overall shape than most SBC teams.

8. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Our SOS this past year was 156, not 206. There are about 350 D1 teams. Therefore 175 is the halfway point. There was a previous point made that Coach Marlin like Coach Bustle does not like the recruiting limelight. The limelight point is correct but Coach Marlin very much enjoys the recruiting process.
    Totally fake stats Mike. Only about 100 teams matter at all in college basketball. Additionally about 50 teams have been added in the last thirty years. Believe me nobody rates teams not considered top 100 as mattering.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Totally fake stats Mike. Only about 100 teams matter at all in college basketball. Additionally about 50 teams have been added in the last thirty years. Believe me nobody rates teams not considered top 100 as mattering.
    Not sure what your point is. I would say only 30 teams really matter as far as a chance of winning it all.

10. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Not sure what your point is. I would say only 30 teams really matter as far as a chance of winning it all.
    Point is using 350 as a total isn’t fair. There’s likely to be 400 in a few years so being in top 200 is average. Marlin has consistently avoided challenging scheduling, but loves to boast winning percentage. He’s a bogus coach with bogus resume.

11. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Point is using 350 as a total isn’t fair. There’s likely to be 400 in a few years so being in top 200 is average. Marlin has consistently avoided challenging scheduling, but loves to boast winning percentage. He’s a bogus coach with bogus resume.
    So you are saying that Dr. Maggard is negotiating an extension with a "bogus coach with bogus resume?" Please get the word and your analysis to Dr. Maggard before he embarrasses himself and this university.

12. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    So you are saying that Dr. Maggard is negotiating an extension with a "bogus coach with bogus resume?" Please get the word and your analysis to Dr. Maggard before he embarrasses himself and this university.
    Bobby is a great con man. We’ll see how well he performs over the next four to five years. Don’t expect another regular championship, and who knows maybe he’ll win a tournament trophy again. Expect many 5th-8th place finish in at best a mediocre conference. If that’s not bogus I don’t know what bogus is.

Bobby is a great con man. We’ll see how well he performs over the next four to five years. Don’t expect another regular championship, and who knows maybe he’ll win a tournament trophy again. Expect many 5th-8th place finish in at best a mediocre conference. If that’s not bogus I don’t know what bogus is.
    Man.I’ve never thought Marlin to be a world beater.but considering he’s finished outside the top 4 once since coming to UL.that’s a pretty bold prediction.

Sir, your Marlin bashing is tiresome. The man just won 27 games and a conference championship. He has built a solid foundation for this program to thrive. Could he perform better against better competition? Sure, but to say he is a bogus coach is beyond ridiculous. Get over yourself.

UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    Sir, your Marlin bashing is tiresome. The man just won 27 games and a conference championship. He has built a solid foundation for this program to thrive. Could he perform better against better competition? Sure, but to say he is a bogus coach is beyond ridiculous. Get over yourself.
    Marlins non conference regular season record vs top 200 RPI teams is 19-35 in his tenure at UL. Only two years in his UL career has his team had a winning record vs teams with RPI of 101-200. Go ahead and defend that if you want, but that is pitiful. I will post his conference finishes and his conference record vs top 200 RPI in the morning.

Page 7 of 19 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread Information