Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

1. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    An RPI of 61 says they massively outperformed their SOS.
    I know margin of victory is not figured into RPI, but they beat the crap out of most of there schedule. At one point I believe they covered the spread like 9 games in a row and like 12 of 13.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    K-State had been to bowl games in recent seasons under Coach Snyder. They might have been down, but they were certainly the best win for UL since the Texas A&M game. Tech had not been to any NCAA tournaments, but they are a rival and the game had more meaning from that perspective.
    K state had back to back losing seasons before 2009. It was also Snyder's first year back with program.

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Final NCAA report had OOC SOS at 175. Total SOS at 217.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    K state had back to back losing seasons before 2009. It was also Snyder's first year back with program.
    I stand corrected on Snyder, I had forgotten he retired and came back. But my point on K-State stands. They went to bowl games in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006 under Prince and the same team and QB went to a bowl under Snyder the next season in 2010 year after UL beat them at Cajun Field.

I don't compare that win to a MBB victory over a state rival Louisiana Tech that has not seen a an NCAA Tournament in years. It's a win over a rival, happy we won.

I stand corrected on Snyder, I had forgotten he retired and came back. But my point on K-State stands. They went to bowl games in 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003, 2006 under Prince and the same team and QB went to a bowl under Snyder the next season in 2010 year after UL beat them at Cajun Field.

I don't compare that win to a MBB victory over a state rival Louisiana Tech that has not seen a an NCAA Tournament in years. It's a win over a rival, happy we won.
    K-State was a good win, not trying to downplay it.but I don’t think Tech got enough credit for how good they were when our series started with them, even without making the Dance.I would say Tech was a higher ranked team in D1 at that time in their respective sport.versus where K-State was ranked at the time we played them.pure guessing on my part though related to rankings.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    K-State was a good win, not trying to downplay it.but I don't think Tech got enough credit for how good they were when our series started with them, even without making the Dance.I would say Tech was a higher ranked team in D1 at that time in their respective sport.versus where K-State was ranked at the time we played them.pure guessing on my part though related to rankings.
    In all fairness to Coach Marlin, had he not beaten Louisiana Tech in that game, we would still be talking about it today. Now, I understand K-State wasn't ranked but let's be honest in that UL, which was a program was still considered 100-120 ranked program beat a Big 12 team. Let's remember that this was a UL program that had not went to a bowl game in 35 years. That is the context in which that win should be viewed, what were considered at that time?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Jay Walker said 156 on his show the other day. Maybe that was the out of conference strength of schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    Expectations should be same as softball. Win conference every year for 15 out of 16 years and win conference tournament 14 out of 16 years . Advance to regionals and super regionals and World Series .
    Basketball- win conference 15 out of 16 years and win conference tournament 14 out of 16 years , make NCAA tourney and on occasion win a couple to 3 games in the tournament . Same for FOOTBALL,BASEBALL, VOLLEYBALL, SOCCER, TRACK ,TENNIS , GOLF , ALL SPORTS . NO PASSES BECAUSE THAT PARTICULAR SPORT ISNT IMPORTANT.
    Very difficult to compare other sports to softball. Softball resources are similar to are far superior to most of the teams in the nation. That is not true for any other sport.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Winning cures all. Couldn't agree more.

With that being said, consistency is the key here. There's a few fans out there who I've spoken to who think that this past season was a one and done, and that we will be back to our usual 18-19 win records. We have to build on this past year and continue to win more games and put ourselves in a good position to compete for more conference titles. Also, beating a P5 or two would tremendously help.

I know some people will say I'm comparing apples to oranges when I bring this up, but the only way we will bring a P5 to the Cajundome will be through consistent winning and name recognition. In the diamond sports, we tend to host past national champions and teams who make it to the CWS not just because of who we are, but also because we leverage ourselves to be competitive from a RPI and SOS standpoint. When those teams come to our house, we can still beat them; and they won't get affected as bad on their own RPI and SOS. Unfortunately for basketball, that is not the case. A #206 SOS isn't attractive to other teams. We have to start winning consistently before getting that respect that we want.
    I agree. We need to play better teams and actually beat some of them and learn to compete on that level. That will prepare us for conference and hopefully we can become a consistent contender/winner in conference. I don't prescribe to the 3 days in March routine that many fans do. I feel that playing and beating better teams as well as winning conference will set us up to make more NCAA tournaments and get us a better seed. I also think it will attract us to more higher level talent which will be the building block for a better program.

K-State had been to bowl games in recent seasons under Coach Snyder. They might have been down, but they were certainly the best win for UL since the Texas A&M game. Tech had not been to any NCAA tournaments, but they are a rival and the game had more meaning from that perspective.
    Tech had not lost at home for a few years until the Cajuns beat them in 2014. They had not lost an OOC game at home since then until we beat them in December. Those were very big wins. They had also won the CUSA regular season championship twice in that span. I would still rate the K State football win higher as that came against a school from a major conference.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    K-State was a good win, not trying to downplay it.but I don’t think Tech got enough credit for how good they were when our series started with them, even without making the Dance.I would say Tech was a higher ranked team in D1 at that time in their respective sport.versus where K-State was ranked at the time we played them.pure guessing on my part though related to rankings.
    The K-State win was a better notch in our belt than the basketball win over LaTech. It made sportscenter and wins like that are what raise the eyebrows of good recruits and people around the region. Granted, you are right that the win against Tech was really good for us but it didn't move the needle like the football win over K-State did, especially a Bill Snyder coached K-State team.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    With all due respect, you must not have a clue about the level of talent we have sitting on our bench right now. We’re set up to be a top 100 RPI team for the next few years.
    OK, I'll take the bait and ask you to please point out your criteria for "High Level Recruits" that we have on our bench, especially when we lose major talent after this year and how they will ensure we have a top 100 team? Kobe Julien, by all accounts is the real deal and we will like him here. Nobody knows what to expect with Gladney and we just lost a big as he transferred out. We may have a really nice player here or there but where is the core of the highly rated team you speak of going to come from? An overweight, under the rim post player who thinks he Boogie Cousins?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    OK, I'll take the bait and ask you to please point out your criteria for "High Level Recruits" that we have on our bench, especially when we lose major talent after this year and how they will ensure we have a top 100 team? Kobe Julien, by all accounts is the real deal and we will like him here. Nobody knows what to expect with Gladney and we just lost a big as he transferred out. We may have a really nice player here or there but where is the core of the highly rated team you speak of going to come from? An overweight, under the rim post player who thinks he Boogie Cousins?
    Julien is the star of the class. He outplayed the Smart kid who signed with LSU more than once in his HS career. Only reason he did not have more "stars" was because he was leaning in our direction all along. Very unfortunate he suffered an injury as he would have been heavily relied on as a freshman. His injury is why we signed a JUCO guard and I have high hopes for him. Amongst the freshman being brought in, the point guard from Texas (think his name is Wesley) is one they believe can make an impact. Staff has said they won't have the concern at point when Stroman goes out this coming season as they now have a competent backup. That is encouraging as Stroman tends to commit silly fouls at times.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Julien is the star of the class. He outplayed the Smart kid who signed with LSU more than once in his HS career. Only reason he did not have more "stars" was because he was leaning in our direction all along. Very unfortunate he suffered an injury as he would have been heavily relied on as a freshman. His injury is why we signed a JUCO guard and I have high hopes for him. Amongst the freshman being brought in, the point guard from Texas (think his name is Wesley) is one they believe can make an impact. Staff has said they won't have the concern at point when Stroman goes out this coming season as they now have a competent backup. That is encouraging as Stroman tends to commit silly fouls at times.
    Again Mike, I have no doubt we will have competent players. The debate is whether they are considered "High recruits". Outside of Julien, I don't think any of them are so I'm not sure where Rebel's argument is, especially when he's stating that they will be the reason we are a top 100 ranked team in the near future. We will need a lot more talent brought in to achieve that after this year. Stroman, Gant and Marquetti are high level guys who could play for P5 teams and already have. We will REALLY miss them when they are gone.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Very difficult to compare other sports to softball. Softball resources are similar to are far superior to most of the teams in the nation. That is not true for any other sport.
    I don’t follow you . Please explain “Softball resources are similar or superior to most teams in the nation . “

Page 5 of 19 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information