Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, when we were discussing this at length during the season, why does this scenario have to be either/or? Why does it have to be winning regular season with a lot of wins and no NCAA birth or the other way around? I've been vocal about this for some time now. I want to create consistency in our program that will start attracting good young players, particularly from our own state. You build that by winning and you start by winning and dominating your conference.

We had a great year this year. We won a ton of games and ran into some health issues late in the year that helped derail us. We ultimately fell short of our goal but we still automatically qualified for the NIT and put on an exciting game to say the least.

If we go with the model of win a few but somehow qualify for the NCAA, its just going to be a quick shot in the arm but it does nothing to create a winning focus in the program. To me, there is nothing harder in college basketball than winning your conference outright. That is a great accomplishment. Its done over a large sample and you can't hide behind soft schedules or playing tough teams at home. Its home and home and you have to get things done on the road if you want to prove you are a champion.

Build the program by building a winning culture and the tournament appearances will follow but success does not have to be either/or. If you focus on winning conference titles I promise that some NCAA appearances will follow and therefore, better seeds in the tournament when you do get there.
    Winning cures all. Couldn't agree more.

With that being said, consistency is the key here. There's a few fans out there who I've spoken to who think that this past season was a one and done, and that we will be back to our usual 18-19 win records. We have to build on this past year and continue to win more games and put ourselves in a good position to compete for more conference titles. Also, beating a P5 or two would tremendously help.

I know some people will say I'm comparing apples to oranges when I bring this up, but the only way we will bring a P5 to the Cajundome will be through consistent winning and name recognition. In the diamond sports, we tend to host past national champions and teams who make it to the CWS not just because of who we are, but also because we leverage ourselves to be competitive from a RPI and SOS standpoint. When those teams come to our house, we can still beat them; and they won't get affected as bad on their own RPI and SOS. Unfortunately for basketball, that is not the case. A #206 SOS isn't attractive to other teams. We have to start winning consistently before getting that respect that we want.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Winning cures all. Couldn't agree more.

With that being said, consistency is the key here. There's a few fans out there who I've spoken to who think that this past season was a one and done, and that we will be back to our usual 18-19 win records. We have to build on this past year and continue to win more games and put ourselves in a good position to compete for more conference titles. Also, beating a P5 or two would tremendously help.

I know some people will say I'm comparing apples to oranges when I bring this up, but the only way we will bring a P5 to the Cajundome will be through consistent winning and name recognition. In the diamond sports, we tend to host past national champions and teams who make it to the CWS not just because of who we are, but also because we leverage ourselves to be competitive from a RPI and SOS standpoint. When those teams come to our house, we can still beat them; and they won't get affected as bad on their own RPI and SOS. Unfortunately for basketball, that is not the case. A #206 SOS isn't attractive to other teams. We have to start winning consistently before getting that respect that we want.
    Our SOS this past year was 156, not 206. There are about 350 D1 teams. Therefore 175 is the halfway point. There was a previous point made that Coach Marlin like Coach Bustle does not like the recruiting limelight. The limelight point is correct but Coach Marlin very much enjoys the recruiting process.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Our SOS this past year was 156, not 206. There are about 350 D1 teams. Therefore 175 is the halfway point. There was a previous point made that Coach Marlin like Coach Bustle does not like the recruiting limelight. The limelight point is correct but Coach Marlin very much enjoys the recruiting process.
    https://www.cbssports.com/collegebas.l/rankings/sos

SOS of 206

RECORD VS. TEAMS RANKED IN THE CBSSPORTS.COM RPI

NO. 1-25 0-1

NO. 26-50 0-0

NO. 51-100 0-1

NO. 101-200 11-3

NO. 200+ 14-1

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    "High Level Recruits"?? I don't know about that. I guess it depends on your reference point for definition of high level. I think we did OK but we've already lost one of them and our best incoming player is going to be sidelined all year.
    With all due respect, you must not have a clue about the level of talent we have sitting on our bench right now. We’re set up to be a top 100 RPI team for the next few years.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    With all due respect, you must not have a clue about the level of talent we have sitting on our bench right now. We’re set up to be a top 100 RPI team for the next few years.
    We might have the talent but is the schedule setup to be a top 100 rpi team

I recall beating Kansas St in football at Cajun Field in front of about 12000 people . I think Bustle was the coach .

Expectations should be same as softball. Win conference every year for 15 out of 16 years and win conference tournament 14 out of 16 years . Advance to regionals and super regionals and World Series .
    Basketball- win conference 15 out of 16 years and win conference tournament 14 out of 16 years , make NCAA tourney and on occasion win a couple to 3 games in the tournament . Same for FOOTBALL,BASEBALL, VOLLEYBALL, SOCCER, TRACK ,TENNIS , GOLF , ALL SPORTS . NO PASSES BECAUSE THAT PARTICULAR SPORT ISNT IMPORTANT.

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    I recall beating Kansas St in football at Cajun Field in front of about 12000 people . I think Bustle was the coach .
    Yep.was raining cats and dogs though.

It was raining but it was a big win .
    Name a basketball big win , rain or no rain

Quote Originally Posted by tank View Post
    It was raining but it was a big win .
    Name a basketball big win , rain or no rain
    I think it’s debatable that the state of K-States football team at that time was comparable to Marlin beating LaTech couple years back when the series started.Tech was winning a lot of games and was flirting with Top 25 status.my memory could be off though.can’t think of any other solid wins outside of beating GA State to make the dance

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    CBS vs A sketchy sports betting site

People need to get over this idea of “big” wins.

ULM beat Alabama a few years ago. Their program still sucks ___.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    People need to get over this idea of “big” wins.

ULM beat Alabama a few years ago. Their program still sucks ___.
    I think everyone wants Big wins.in addition to games we’re supposed to win.

Page 3 of 19 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 13 . LastLast

Thread Information