Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Expectations

Default Re: Basketball Expectations

I think a lot of people are forgetting about Jerekius Davis. I expect him and Cedric Russell to be monsters next year. Our spacing was good last year and were ranked very high in assists to baskets scored. I don’t know what happened to Marquetti at the end of the year but if he can get back to his mid season form we won’t see that big of a step back. Ga. St will be the team to beat but the conference as a whole was pretty damn terrible last year. If we don’t finish top 2 I will be very surprised.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Expectations should be high at least to a degree. We still have the best PG in the conference coming back. If Stroman can work a perimeter shot into his arsenal this year, he could have a great year. Marquetti needs to be more consistent and will have to be a playmaker for us all the time and Gant will need to be that rim protector this year. Biggest question is how do you replace Bartley. If Russell can step his game up this year, we may be a very similar team to last year. We will also need new guys to step up and lead. Not sure we really have that at this point. I expect us to be fun to watch again but don't know if we have the depth and talent at guard as well as leadership to replicate last year.
    I think Jeremey Hayes is going to have to make up for a big chunk of what Bartley did. If he can just give us 60% of Bartley's production and then let Marquetti, Russell, Davis etc step up for the rest that would be great. I really want to see if Russell can develop other parts of his game. I remember him hitting a couple of runners in the lane during the NIT game which was a good sign. He needs to be able penetrate and draw some contact as well, last year he only shot 8 FTs all season. I hate to say but last year Russell was basically Hayward Register 2.0, albeit with a better shooting %. I listened to that hour that Marlin recently spent on the radio with Jay last night and found it interesting that he mentioned a possible Redshirt for either Gladney or Lafayette, which makes me think there is still a possibility of getting another big man who can contribute next year with the scholarship that recently opened up.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by RcL8 View Post
    I think a lot of people are forgetting about Jerekius Davis. I expect him and Cedric Russell to be monsters next year. Our spacing was good last year and were ranked very high in assists to baskets scored. I don’t know what happened to Marquetti at the end of the year but if he can get back to his mid season form we won’t see that big of a step back. Ga. St will be the team to beat but the conference as a whole was pretty damn terrible last year. If we don’t finish top 2 I will be very surprised.
    Davis has a nagging back injury that will limit him, likely the rest of his basketball playing days. I expect him to contribute, but I doubt he’s ever a consistently reliable option.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Davis has a nagging back injury that will limit him, likely the rest of his basketball playing days. I expect him to contribute, but I doubt he’s ever a consistently reliable option.
    So both him and miller?

5. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Expectations should be high at least to a degree. We still have the best PG in the conference coming back. If Stroman can work a perimeter shot into his arsenal this year, he could have a great year. Marquetti needs to be more consistent and will have to be a playmaker for us all the time and Gant will need to be that rim protector this year. Biggest question is how do you replace Bartley. If Russell can step his game up this year, we may be a very similar team to last year. We will also need new guys to step up and lead. Not sure we really have that at this point. I expect us to be fun to watch again but don't know if we have the depth and talent at guard as well as leadership to replicate last year.
    I’m gonna take exception with your evaluation. Stove is the straw that stirred this offense and his defense was exceptional.

You simply can’t look at his production and say yeah that’s it. He was an instant game changer.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    I think Jeremey Hayes is going to have to make up for a big chunk of what Bartley did. If he can just give us 60% of Bartley's production and then let Marquetti, Russell, Davis etc step up for the rest that would be great. I really want to see if Russell can develop other parts of his game. I remember him hitting a couple of runners in the lane during the NIT game which was a good sign. He needs to be able penetrate and draw some contact as well, last year he only shot 8 FTs all season. I hate to say but last year Russell was basically Hayward Register 2.0, albeit with a better shooting %. I listened to that hour that Marlin recently spent on the radio with Jay last night and found it interesting that he mentioned a possible Redshirt for either Gladney or Lafayette, which makes me think there is still a possibility of getting another big man who can contribute next year with the scholarship that recently opened up.
    Is that interview available online. Out of town and missed it?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    All of the ESPN1420 locally produced shows are on their SoundCloud page.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Here is the link, I am out of the area as well so I appreciate that they archive these.

http://espn1420.com/louisiana-basketball-coach-bob-marlin-espn1420-interview-audio/

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I’m gonna take exception with your evaluation. Stove is the straw that stirred this offense and his defense was exceptional.

You simply can’t look at his production and say yeah that’s it. He was an instant game changer.
    Thing last year was we had a healthy Stove most of the year. I cannot remember how many times as a junior he tried to dunk and missed while last year wasn’t an issue.

Next man up needs to be the attitude since it worked last year. Keep the ‘mo going.

10. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Thing last year was we had a healthy Stove most of the year. I cannot remember how many times as a junior he tried to dunk and missed while last year wasn’t an issue.

Next man up needs to be the attitude since it worked last year. Keep the ‘mo going.
    another key is Hardy getting it together with his 3 point shooting and improved defense hope his 2 years here will project to his stepping up!

11. Default Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post

Right, I’m recalling we lost a perfect season to the last place team when Stove was injured. I’m not recalling a lot of missed dunks, but remember not being embarrassed by a bad ULMOST team with a game winning mid court shot.

Are you saying Stove wasn’t that straw, then maybe we can give it to Washington and Bartley. Yeah there’s not a man coming aboard who’s equal to any of those three currently for the 18/19 season. Maybe Russell will be equal in another season. Miller-no, Davis-no. Freshman and JUCO- highly unlikely.

Right, I’m recalling we lost a perfect season to the last place team when Stove was injured. I’m not recalling a lot of missed dunks, but remember not being embarrassed by a bad ULMOST team with a game winning mid court shot.

Are you saying Stove wasn’t that straw, then maybe we can give it to Washington and Bartley. Yeah there’s not a man coming aboard who’s equal to any of those three currently for the 18/19 season. Maybe Russell will be equal in another season. Miller-no, Davis-no. Freshman and JUCO- highly unlikely.
    Bartley was a completely different player from his Jr to Sr seasons.Davis has never gotten the minutes to prove he can be reliable night in night out.Hopefully Russell can improve a lot on an impressive Freshman campaignif Miller can understand he’s not Paul Pierce, he could play a similar role as Washington.hopefully someone steps up and takes that big leap like Bartley did last year

13. UL Basketball Re: Basketball Expectations

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Bartley was a completely different player from his Jr to Sr seasons.Davis has never gotten the minutes to prove he can be reliable night in night out.Hopefully Russell can improve a lot on an impressive Freshman campaignif Miller can understand he's not Paul Pierce, he could play a similar role as Washington.hopefully someone steps up and takes that big leap like Bartley did last year
    Miller, and Davis both have recurring back issues. Bartley was everything his junior year that he was his senior year, the difference is Stroman preference as a distributor than Jay Wright. Now maybe Stroman becomes more of Barkley and in effect Jay Wright. But then who's the distributor?

No there's no way we're nearby as good, or deep in the coming year. Not a chance.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    Well, this kid would really have to be special to be able to fill the gap of Bartley. Bartley was conference MVP caliber this past year and he was our most consistent player all year both offensively and defensively. I agree about Russell last year and I like him a lot but I view him more as a perimeter guy who will hit open shots and benefit from a Stroman getting in the lane and getting kickouts to Russell. Bartley scored from all levels last year and was a good finisher at the rim which helped when his shot was not going down. Marquetti may be more in line to fill that gap than any other guard we have.

I don't think that redshirting Gladney or Lafayette will necessarily mean we are bringing in someone else as I think we are regardless with the loss of McCoy but I think it means more that we have depth in the frontcourt that will allow us to redshirt one of them.

Stove's defense was exceptional but I will take exception to your comment on his offense. Stove played less than half the game on average. Offensively, this team was stirred by 4 guys consistently with instant infusion from several different sources, Stove being one of them. He was really good in transition and got to the foul line but our offensive output was really controlled by 4 guys all year. He was not one of them.

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread Information