Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Coach Marlin's Comments on new SBC Basketball Schedule Plan

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    They are looking at potentially bringing in a grad transfer. Someone visited last weekend.
    It would have been interesting to see the way McCoy could have developed over time, but being able to bring a grad transfer in probably will make this team better for next season.

Default Re: Coach Marlin's Comments on new SBC Basketball Schedule Plan

Back on track for the thread; I find it very difficult to believe the Marlin is excited about the new scheduling initiative. His pattern has been to weaken the schedule across the period of time he has been here. Part of that is not his fault, as he did not force MTSU and WKU out of the conference; but you will note that we have played neither of them since they left.

I will not be at all surprised if our record declines significantly as the schedule makes modest improvements. Maggard has given Marlin the rope he needs to pull the program up to a better level, or with which to hang himself. Regretably, the latter is a better bet.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Back on track for the thread; I find it very difficult to believe the Marlin is excited about the new scheduling initiative. His pattern has been to weaken the schedule across the period of time he has been here. Part of that is not his fault, as he did not force MTSU and WKU out of the conference; but you will note that we have played neither of them since they left.

I will not be at all surprised if our record declines significantly as the schedule makes modest improvements. Maggard has given Marlin the rope he needs to pull the program up to a better level, or with which to hang himself. Regretably, the latter is a better bet.
    Actually we were one of the big proponents of everything Mark Adams recommended in league meetings. Also, Dr. Maggard played a big part in bringing in Mr. Adams as a consulant to the SBC. Also, Dr. Maggard will try to help the basketball staff in improving the out of conference schedule. Future Record will translate more to talent being brought in than schedule change. Also, we are going to 20 conference games. That is 2/3 of the schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Actually we were one of the big proponents of everything Mark Adams recommended in league meetings. Also, Dr. Maggard played a big part in bringing in Mr. Adams as a consulant to the SBC. Also, Dr. Maggard will try to help the basketball staff in improving the out of conference schedule. Future Record will translate more to talent being brought in than schedule change. Also, we are going to 20 conference games. That is 2/3 of the schedule.
    Oh, I am absolutely certain Dr. Maggard is 100% in favor of improving our OOC scheduling and in favor of the flex scheduling in conference which will likely improve our in-conference schedule. I am just dubious about Marlin's ability to win against an improved schedule. When the new scheduling kick in, if he can maintain from last year, we might be a 20+ win program; if he reverts to his 8 year norm, we will be closer to 12 than 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Hatch View Post
    It would have been interesting to see the way McCoy could have developed over time, but being able to bring a grad transfer in probably will make this team better for next season.
    Have learned it is possible the guy who visited last weekend may have two years remaining and would have to sit out this coming season. A grad transfer may also be a possibility but bet that would be a different player than the guy who recently visited. Fairly certain that if someone is brought in it will be an inside player either way. Not at liberty to say more at this stage. Let me correct that, I don't really know much more other than the possible place the transfer may come from.

I’m starting to think VO doesn’t like Bob Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I'm starting to think VO doesn't like Bob Marlin.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post

Geez dude. Marlin pushed for this from the very beginning. I know that fact doesn’t fit the cynical narrative you’ve made up in your head, but it’s the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I’m starting to think VO doesn’t like Bob Marlin.
    It isnt that I dont like Marlin; it is just that I dont think he is a very good coach at the level we want to be.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    Geez dude. Marlin pushed for this from the very beginning. I know that fact doesn’t fit the cynical narrative you’ve made up in your head, but it’s the truth.
    Then he better start finding a way to consistantly win against top 200 RPI teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I don't doubt he's striving for a better schedule but he hasn't beaten the better opponents from any schedule he's had thus far. His record, as posted recently, against top 100 and 200 teams is absolutely atrocious. Not to mention that we have been relatively non competitive against the P5 we face every year. Even last year, our record against P5 teams was terrible and we didn't play the cream of the crop either.

Last year we beat a P5 team for the first time in 14 years. And, while Ole Miss was not good, Clemson was VERY good.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Last year we beat a P5 team for the first time in 14 years. And, while Ole Miss was not good, Clemson was VERY good.
    You said it. First time in 14 years! And its not like we play the cream of the crop every year. We are rarely even competitive in these games. I realize that Iowa was terrible it was a good start nonetheless. We need to do better against an Ole Miss, LSU and yes, even Clemson.

"Even last year, our record against P5 teams was terrible."

That's quoting you.

Since we hadn't won one in 14 years, I found "terrible" to be "laughable."

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    You said it. First time in 14 years! And its not like we play the cream of the crop every year. We are rarely even competitive in these games. I realize that Iowa was terrible it was a good start nonetheless. We need to do better against an Ole Miss, LSU and yes, even Clemson.
    In the first game of the Big 10 tournament, Iowa took Michigan to OT. Wolverines went on to make a deep run in the NCAA tourney

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information