Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The Great Brawl revisited at DonsPen.com

UL Baseball The Great Brawl revisited at DonsPen.com

www.Donspen.com is up with another blog, this time on Boulanger and Co. and the Great Brawl

Default Re: The Great Brawl revisited at DonsPen.com

Thank you for this, Don. People need to read this and see that Tony inherited a really good program when he arrived, and has maintained it. I tire of folks acting like Robe built a program from nothing.

I agree that Boulanger had to go, but I would love to have someone leading our team with the aggressive offensive philosophy that Bo had.

3. Default Re: The Great Brawl revisited at DonsPen.com

Don, this is great stuff. Those years were some of my earliest memories of Cajun baseball. I miss that brand of baseball very much. Bring back the hate.

"I’m in a pile with a lot of others and I see Gary Haught pounding on somebody and I’m thinking, Jeez, that’s our Friday night pitcher.”

Quote Originally Posted by donallen View Post
    www.Donspen.com is up with another blog, this time on Boulanger and Co. and the Great Brawl
    Thanks Don. I talked to Papos Ramos when he visited here in Lafayette recently and attend a Diamond Club Luncheon. Shockingly he remembered me after all these years, but I remember those games and that was the beginning of really good UL Baseball. I didn't care about UL Baseball before those early teams with Coach Bo and Papos Ramos.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Thank you for this, Don. People need to read this and see that Tony inherited a really good program when he arrived, and has maintained it. I tire of folks acting like Robe built a program from nothing.

I agree that Boulanger had to go, but I would love to have someone leading our team with the aggressive offensive philosophy that Bo had.
    VO, once we were put on probation, there were a number of scholarships lost and players transferred out. It was not a good time for UL Baseball when Coach Robichaux took over the program. Sure, Coach Boulanger had this program going to regionals but this program was crushed after the NCAA sanctions.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    VO, once we were put on probation, there were a number of scholarships lost and players transferred out. It was not a good time for UL Baseball when Coach Robichaux took over the program. Sure, Coach Boulanger had this program going to regionals but this program was crushed after the NCAA sanctions.
    Those were great teams to watch. They played tough. But some of the juco guys only went to class in the fall. There were no progress reports on their spring studies!! It was the Wild West

Robe had the tradition of winning to build on but not much else.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    I remember that period well. It was similar to what happened in softball this year. Boulanger loaded up the moving van one night and was gone. The NCAA hit us with a couple of years probation and scholarship reductions.

Bo did stuff at the end. He got fired. Let's not pretend he didn't at least have a beef with the admin.

The style of ball played by Bo's teams and Bo's style of management are the absolute best and most fun version of baseball there is. The fact that wouldn't fly today is not a good thing.

Now, that '91 regional was, before Omaha, the most epic time for Cajun baseball. That was back in the old 8 team regional days and we made it through the losers bracket to the final day only to lose to lsubr because we absolutely ran out of pitchers.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    Bo did stuff at the end. He got fired. Let's not pretend he didn't at least have a beef with the admin.

The style of ball played by Bo's teams and Bo's style of management are the absolute best and most fun version of baseball there is. The fact that wouldn't fly today is not a good thing.

Now, that '91 regional was, before Omaha, the most epic time for Cajun baseball. That was back in the old 8 team regional days and we made it through the losers bracket to the final day only to lose to lsubr because we absolutely ran out of pitchers.
    Yes, we know there was no money coming from Authement at the time. I spoke to Bo several times about helping raise money, but all of those initiatives we discussed were shot down by Doc.

Don,
    Just want you to know that I REALLY like reading your blogs. I appreciate and truly enjoy your style! Everything you write is good stuff! Thank you.

Who the hell is this Juan Bautista that is referenced in paragraph 1?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Who the hell is this Juan Bautista that is referenced in paragraph 1?
    Jose

Ramos is the greatest hitter to ever put on a Cajun uniform. His flair for the dramatic made him all the more compelling. I remember leaving the BR regional thinking that was the greatest hitting display I had ever seen.

14. Default Re: The Great Brawl revisited at DonsPen.com

What happened to get us sanctioned?

Don.I’ve asked this before without anyone remembering. A dust up a home plate, think Kelly was the coach and a pizza was involved. That’s all I recall.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information