Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by BrockMeaux View Post
    That's close to $70 million today. But yeah, I could live with that.
    Since were talking about $60 million now 5 years ago to do the proposed renovations in the master plan, $70 million is right in that neighborhood.

I can see a really nice, brand new stadium at the corner of Bertrand/Congress, that resembles McNaspy (bricked, with all those arches), and that also fits in nicely with the Tigue, and even the Cajun Dome.

Default Re: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    What is LSU doing? I'm sure many areas in Tiger Stadium don't meet code. Are they going to tear it down? How about all of the other old classic stadiums in the country. Are they being torn down? Just curious; why just us?
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if we just rebuild the upper deck and don't do anything to the lower bowls at this time, then we can leave them as is?

So here's what I know.

Cajun Field is in worse shape than people realize. I won't go into specifics but there are significant structural issues. There's basically no chance we'll keep the same structure. This may even be true for the East side because it also has significant structural problems. We will have to act on this not out of want, but necessity. We are very close to safety hazard territory here. Because of this, I would expect us to have a new stadium sooner rather than later. I just hope we can come up with enough funds to do it the right way.

I don't know how likely this is, but there is hope that the issues are so significant that state emergency funds may be on the table to help pay for any new renovations. Our neglect could actually work out in our benefit.

4. Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Do not even take that Yulmen has to be one of the ugliest most dysfunctional stadiums I have ever gone to
    I must've been really drunk that game because I thought it was something we should have.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We could reasonably do this: Capatilize on an exciting football season, start a grass roots capital campaign with pronounced goal. Take it public once that goal is met. Penny sales tax on tourism and restaurants. Like was mentioned before, the new stadium could be a real asset to the city, so I would think it would get substantial support.

We're not getting student fees, we're not getting gobs of money from our conference and we have a small window to make a splash. While I understand people don't want to pay taxes, the airport is a blueprint for how these things get done. A specific, statutory tax could accomplish that. For the record, I don't see these new taxes being passed in Lafayette. If we couldn't agree on capital improvements to our 60+ year old schools, I don't see another increase in property tax getting traction.
    Any hotel or tourism penny sales tax would have to be voted on by the State Senate. I brought this suggestion up with Dr. Savoie and Mayor Joey Dural at the press conference when the Facility Plan was announced. I don't see support for it, with the current state budget shortfall.

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    What is LSU doing? I'm sure many areas in Tiger Stadium don't meet code. Are they going to tear it down? How about all of the other old classic stadiums in the country. Are they being torn down? Just curious; why just us?
    I'm pretty sure LSU got around it by not touching the lower bowl. Technically the upper decks are considered separate structures.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    UCF estimated cost to build there stadium in 2006 was 45 million. They spent 54 million. Stadium has capacity of 45,000.

To make it pleasing to the eye brick it all the way up so it is hiding the erector set. Probably would go well with the baseball stadium, and track and field.

This stadium is actually in really bad shape. They're about to spend 14 million to repair rust and corrosion. Please no erector set.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    I'm pretty sure LSU got around it by not touching the lower bowl. Technically the upper decks are considered separate structures.
    That makes sense. I wish we could do that , but in our case the lower bowl has structural issues so we would have to address both right?

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Maybe I'm wrong, but if we just rebuild the upper deck and don't do anything to the lower bowls at this time, then we can leave them as is?
    I'm sure that something could be worked out but that still does not do away with the fact that there are major maintenance issues to deal with. You also end up trying to market two very different venues. One that is state of the art with nice seating and one that is approaching 50 years old with inadequate maintenance.

This stadium is actually in really bad shape. They're about to spend 14 million to repair rust and corrosion. Please no erector set.
    In person, it looks cheap as hell.

Other than financial reasons, I'm hoping we can rebuild in place, so we don't get the erector set design.

yeah it is the minimum i think we could accept

Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

This is exactly what I'd like to see in a new stadium.

We don't need a bigger stadium. We need a better stadium. To me, a big time stadium doesn't mean lots of seats. It means first class amenities. Suites, premium seating, good architecture, etc. Just like our baseball stadium. Keep it at around 30,000 seats and leave room to expand to 35,000.

Quote Originally Posted by facelessjonmoon View Post
    In person, it looks cheap as hell.

Other than financial reasons, I'm hoping we can rebuild in place, so we don't get the erector set design.
    A good compromise is the system that was used to build the grandstand at the Tigue. This is also the system that has been utilized in a number of other collegiate/pro venues. You utilize a structural steel skeleton with pre-cast concrete. That way you get the cost savings of the "erector set" but the "feel" of a concrete structure. It also decreases construction time. Now Lamson Park is a full erector set and I totally agree that is not what we want.

This is exactly what I'd like to see in a new stadium.

We don't need a bigger stadium. We need a better stadium. Keep it at around 30,000 seats and leave room to expand to 35,000.
    In my opinion, for various reasons, it needs to be around 40,000 but I certainly agree with you on that design. I don't think we will ever need a stadium bigger than 40,000 capacity.

15. Default Re: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Agree. 40-50k is the way to go. Attendance trends across the country are down, and that will not change. Not because the sport's popularity is going down, but because people are staying home for convenience and the TV product is so good.

We need to focus on top notch amenities and convenience, IMO.

Which I assume is the reason for the feasibility study.

Page 7 of 49 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 17 . LastLast

Thread Information