Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Default Re: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Stadium is already big enough.

Default Re: Could the Ragin' Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

People who are thinking we should build a new stadium. McKinney, TX just built a 70 million dollar stadium concrete already has cracks!

https://www.texasmonthly.com/the-cul...tball-stadium/

Quote Originally Posted by HoustonCajun View Post
    How critical is protection from the West sun? Yes, it is very hot. Bu, LSU has 50,000 people facing the West sun. Texas has the same and both have more day games than we do. It doesn't affect their numbers.

I hope current capacity still stays at 40,000. It will set us apart from all of the G5 schools with 20,000 - 30,000 seat stadiums. Houston and UCF have 40,000 seat stadiums and several P5 schools have stadiums in the 40,000 range, i.e. TCU, Utah, Washington State, Vanderbilt, Northwestern, Syracuse, and Boston College. IMO, it creates a different perception of our program and will allow for our scheduling of P5 schools. It will also set us up for the long term rather than dropping to say 35,000 and having to consider expansion in a few years.

Also, 14,000 season tickets should not be insurmountable. We have over 500,000 people in the Acadiana area and we are creating new excitement with a new coaching staff. It is much more costly to buy season tickets at LSU, for example, and they have, what about 70,000. Surely, 14,000 is doable. So, the economy is not hurting them. And, the economy is booming and will get even better. A great time to seek more season tickets holders, more RCAF members, and fund raising for the stadium.
    Economy is far from booming in Lafayette. Oil price at 60 plus dollars per barrel is not enough to get deep water moving and the shelf is played out. My former company made three separate deals to unload shelf properties in the last two years and I don't believe one of those companies has drilled a well yet on properties formerly owned by a major. West Texas is booming but not Louisiana. We need a land play to boom to really get the economy moving again. LSU and Texas are completely different than we are. They are schools that have a legitimate chance to win the whole thing or get to a significant bowl. Going to meaningful games there is a historical tradition. You can't compare any mid major to two of the richest athletic programs in the nation. The sun is a major factor considering that it is mostly students who sit on that side and fewer of those have interest in athletics in every class. We don't need to give them an excuse to not attend. At the Boise game a couple of years ago, we had people needing medical attention due to the sun. Even the early season 6 PM games have many people coming in later on that side due to the sun. You could build the new press box on that side which would provide some relief.

4. Default Re: Could the Ragin’ Cajuns be getting a new football stadium?

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    McNaspy just for 4 games
    Field of Dreams or Memories?

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I know I will never change your mind, but empty stadiums do not give off a good impression. Why we would build a stadium with 40,000 seats and have it half empty? I agree with you that we can grow our season ticket base, but having a larger stadium would incentivize people not to buy season tickets. You have to create a demand first.
    Current capacity is around 40000. By Maggard's comments this morning, there is no way it will be increased and will likely go down in the new design. As in the basketball coach extension situation, his opinion counts exponentially more than any poster here. As far as P5 schools visiting here, I don't know if that will happen again in my lifetime. That is regardless of our stadium or quality of our program. If it does, it will be a school like Kansas State once again and we only drew 17000 for them. 14000 season tickets may be doable but it is a challenge this season. The best we ever did was 12000 in the strong Hud years and the economy was much stronger then. I do like the fact a challenging goal has been set but it is unrealistic to think that can be easily attained. We will have to have more support from surrounding parishes with most of those folks strong LSU fans. Even if they don't go to Tiger Stadium, they stay home on Saturdays to watch LSU or other SEC games. Don't doubt the difficulty of life as a mid major today. Let's not give up or say the task is impossible. Just realize the challenge is significant.

Mike, we are in agreement 100%. One way to decrease capacity and increase comfort is to add chair backs. They cram a lot of numbers onto the metal benches and putting chairs would remove several seats per row. It is kind of mind boggling people here do not see the trends in college football. Even the LSU and Texas’s of the world have over reached. Go on their message boards and you will see all the people lamenting about empty seats, tailgaters not going in and people leaving at halftime. This is the new normal. LSU is lucky because they have a few high profile games that keep people from not dropping their tickets. As long as we are in the SBC or CUSA we need to have a small seating capacity that is fan friendly and markets itself as a fun family activity. If we start winning big I have no doubt the students will jump on the bandwagon, but sadly most will stay outside the stadium unless there is a compelling reason to go in.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    I know I will never change your mind, but empty stadiums do not give off a good impression. Why we would build a stadium with 40,000 seats and have it half empty? I agree with you that we can grow our season ticket base, but having a larger stadium would incentivize people not to buy season tickets. You have to create a demand first.
    Our stadium currently seats 41,423. 40,000 seats would be a smaller stadium, not larger. Cajun Field doesn't feel too big right now does it?

Our stadium currently seats 41,423. 40,000 seats would be a smaller stadium, not larger. Cajun Field doesn't feel too big right now does it?
    If you take the same stadium and bring up to code and add chair backs it won’t seat that many. You won’t be able to have as many rows and the seats will be wider.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    If you take the same stadium and bring up to code and add chair backs it won’t seat that many. You won’t be able to have as many rows and the seats will be wider.
    All we need is about 35k GOOD seats. No bleachers and a doggie park. Thats it

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    All we need is about 35k GOOD seats. No bleachers and a doggie park. Thats it
    I agree

Yes it does at times. Even when we have a good crowd that is the case.

Some of you talk about needing additional seating for the future. Why do you feel like the future is going to result in more fans? Concrete evidence is asked to support your answer.

We haven't needed more seating in 30 plus years, why now?

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    Some of you talk about needing additional seating for the future. Why do you feel like the future is going to result in more fans? Concrete evidence is asked to support your answer.

We haven't needed more seating in 30 plus years, why now?
    My thing is to attract people, we need to create the best environment for our fan base, 35k is about right, but you always want to make sure that if the need ever arises that we are able to expand.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin9221 View Post
    My thing is to attract people, we need to create the best environment for our fan base, 35k is about right, but you always want to make sure that if the need ever arises that we are able to expand.
    But having a game once every 5 years that meets our stadiums capacity shouldn't be the driving force. 25,000 seats to me would be sufficient and let those "high capacity" games once every half decade turn people away.

We have excess capacity now and that won't change anytime soon. So get rid of it.

Quote Originally Posted by BananaHammock View Post
    But having a game once every 5 years that meets our stadiums capacity shouldn't be the driving force. 25,000 seats to me would be sufficient and let those "high capacity" games once every half decade turn people away.

We have excess capacity now and that won't change anytime soon. So get rid of it.
    To me just get rid of the top deck and just put in the suites, PB etc. and bowl in the SEZ, then put a canopy over the entire structure. That way we can have all the perks that a big stadium has. Plus we can try to maybe get a semi-pro soccer, concerts etc. at CF. Then try to add more chair back seats. We have to make it luxurious for the people who are going to the game ( Quality over Quantity).Win Win if we ever need to expand just expand on the visitor side and that is it.

Page 39 of 49 FirstFirst ... 29 36 37 38 39 40 41 42 ... LastLast

Thread Information