Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread: BB: We are going to make a regional

1. Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by RaginScotsman View Post
    Let’s just beat LATURD first. If last week’s performance at home was any indication of how this series will go, playing them on the road could be depressing. Go 4-1 or 5-0 this week, then start with the regional talk.
    We play better on the road.
    Another bizzare thing about this team.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Im struggling with this.
    Do people really think Maggard is going to "force" Robe to fire someone? Even entertaining that idea, do people really think that wouldn't be a huge mistake?

Robe knows what he needs to do. As much as I like Bryan, if he were to try to "force" Robe to do anything, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Having said that, I don't for one second believe that's going to happen.
    Agree. Maggard is an administrator. If he is dictating who our head coach hires and fires we are toast.

3. Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    Agree. Maggard is an administrator. If he is dictating who our head coach hires and fires we are toast.
    And if you look at his track record, especially since he's been here, he has not conducted his business that way. He puts leaders in positions, and he trusts them to do their job.

I thought Talbot showed what he was last year. But I do understand the reasons he was brought back this season. Now, we have all the evidence we need. Robe knows JT has run his course.

Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Im struggling with this.
    Do people really think Maggard is going to "force" Robe to fire someone? Even entertaining that idea, do people really think that wouldn't be a huge mistake?

Robe knows what he needs to do. As much as I like Bryan, if he were to try to "force" Robe to do anything, I'd be pretty disappointed.

Having said that, I don't for one second believe that's going to happen.

(And btw, I know you have some access to people that matter. I'm genuinely curious if that's what they think)
    People I know want him gone yesterday some will cut back on donations and tickets to prove a point ( Worked to remove Hud & Scotty ) Admin needs to approaches it by saying do you need more money for a better staff we want this program to continue to dominate the sunbelt and will provide you with whatever you need to do so

5. Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    No it won't. Robe controls Talbots fate, whether we make a regional or not is irrelevant.

If I were to make an honest assessment of our hitting over the last 4 years it would be substandard. That aspect of the game has been our downfall in that timespan. But in order for Robe to replace him, he would have to find a guy who fits in the type of system Robe wants to play.

Deggs was an anomaly not the norm under Robe. So I wouldn't expect another aggressive hitting coach to be hired under Tony.
    The 6 million dollar question is, what established hitting coach will want to come here?

If the current recruiting and baseball philosophy continues, its pitching (with extra spots allocated), defense, then hitting. If we get lucky enough to get a lock down defender with adequate batting skills, and one good batter to stick in the DH spot, that is what the batting coach has to work with. Otherwise, it's develop small ball.

With Deggs, we were lucky enough to hire someone who was basically untapped and out of baseball. The tap opened up at the right time (player wise) and it worked wonderfully.

We tried to get the same thing with Talbot, hoping he was coming from the same tap and we see where we are.

So, where are the Cajuns going to find the young or experienced superstar coach that is willing to try to advance his career under these circumstances? And even if they find him, does he have a real chance to succeed?

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    .So, where are the Cajuns going to find the young or experienced superstar coach that is willing to try to advance his career under these circumstances? And even if they find him, does he have a real chance to succeed?
    All Robe has to do is point to Deggs.

I think the key issue here is turning away from rehab projects and second chances to younger up and comer coaches. That, falls on Robe.

7. Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    All Robe has to do is point to Deggs.

I think the key issue here is turning away from rehab projects and second chances to younger up and comer coaches. That, falls on Robe.
    Let's move past the money issue with Deggs and get to the bottom line - if Deggs were to come, is Robe going to give up enough recruiting spots to make the batting line up effectively better?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    No it won’t. Robe controls Talbots fate, whether we make a regional or not is irrelevant.

If I were to make an honest assessment of our hitting over the last 4 years it would be substandard. That aspect of the game has been our downfall in that timespan. But in order for Robe to replace him, he would have to find a guy who fits in the type of system Robe wants to play.

Deggs was an anomaly not the norm under Robe. So I wouldn’t expect another aggressive hitting coach to be hired under Tony.
    Anamoly? I know you don't follow baseball as much as you do other sports, but the best offensive season the Cajuns ever had was 2005 when everyone in the lineup hit over .300 and the team hit .327.

John Szefc was here for six years. The Cajuns hit over .300 as a team in five of the six. They averaged about a .460 slug and stole an average of 80 bases a year.

John Szefc was a helluva hitting coach.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    That he was. When Lucroy was here from 05-07, our bats were lethal.

I can only imagine where we would be if we had bats like that today.

Szefc was really good and underrated while he was here. Look at what he's done since he left. Look at our offense, outside the two Deggs seasons, since he left.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    That he was. When Lucroy was here from 05-07, our bats were lethal.

I can only imagine where we would be if we had bats like that today.
    We be hosting regionals, most likely.

12. Default Re: BB: We are going to make a regional

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    We be hosting regionals, most likely.
    For shiggles, we went back and applied the national AVERAGE in BA, OBP, Runs scored and SLUG to our schedule. Assuming we got the same pitching results, our record would be 31-10. And when you think about the games we've given away, one way or another, that's about right.

PS - RP Posters, please spare me the "you can't just apply numbers blah blah blah" Like I said, it was just for fun.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Anamoly? I know you don't follow baseball as much as you do other sports, but the best offensive season the Cajuns ever had was 2005 when everyone in the lineup hit over .300 and the team hit .327.

John Szefc was here for six years. The Cajuns hit over .300 as a team in five of the six. They averaged about a .460 slug and stole an average of 80 bases a year.

Deggs was an anomaly, if it wasn’t for his personal issues we never get him. He was associate head coach at 2 SEC powers and in line for a much bigger gig. That won’t happen again. Szefc came from Marist, he wasn’t proven at the highest level. Szefc was a really good coach but was still a risk or unknown/unproven. Coaching wise, Deggs was about as close to can’t miss as you can get.

Grabbing a guy like Deggs is very rare. But at the same time, that doesn’t mean that there’s more coaches out there who can give us numbers that match the national batting average. That would be a HUGE improvement.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Szefc was really good and underrated while he was here. Look at what he's done since he left. Look at our offense, outside the two Deggs seasons, since he left.
    and yet a number of people on this board would consistently trash him even after I showed them the numbers. One of my favorite coaches to come through the program for sure.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thread Information