Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    As we discussed, this year has been a real exception for UL from an RPI standpoint. Again, I’d much rather play UL in BR than those teams. However, that doesn’t justify a trip to Lafayette.
    Like I said before, its too logical but I know what just about every fan will think. However, there is more emphasis on winning on the road and OOC than in years past. Don't you think playing in Lafayette would fit this criteria while potentially helping both schools in the RPI category? Like VOB said, it could potentially make that a Q1 win which is directly what the committee was looking at for at large bids and seedings.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Note, the 2014 team with two NBA players on it from Louisiana finished in the Top 100. I understand the reluctance of LSU to come here. However, in recent years they have refused to even play us in Baton Rouge. That was the decision of Coach Jones and I don't know what Coach Wade will think of this going forward. Maybe we play more often in Baton Rouge going forward. Perhaps they are reluctant to give us that payday for some reason and would prefer the guarantee goes to a school like Nicholls. Coach Marlin thought LSU opening the refurbished CajunDome in December 2016 with funds going towards the flooding relief would have been great for both schools. Apparently the Tigers seriously considered this but never followed through. Perhaps it was because Coach Jones knew he was on the hot seat. Overall, I think LSU would benefit by playing more true out of conference road games as that would help prepare them for SEC play. This year they played only ONE of those. I have a hard time giving complete respect to schools that don't play true out of conference road games (LSU is only one of dozens of those). The Cajuns do have a good recruiting class coming in so they may be more consistently competitive in future years and playing in such an environment would be a low cost way to prepare the Tigers for conference play. That is the benefit of such a game for LSU. No you don't owe us anything and I understand your administration does things they believe is of benefit only to you as that is their job.
    Again Mike, this is too logical for it to be put into practice.

Note, the 2014 team with two NBA players on it from Louisiana finished in the Top 100. I understand the reluctance of LSU to come here. However, in recent years they have refused to even play us in Baton Rouge. That was the decision of Coach Jones and I don't know what Coach Wade will think of this going forward. Maybe we play more often in Baton Rouge going forward. Perhaps they are reluctant to give us that payday for some reason and would prefer the guarantee goes to a school like Nicholls. Coach Marlin thought LSU opening the refurbished CajunDome in December 2016 with funds going towards the flooding relief would have been great for both schools. Apparently the Tigers seriously considered this but never followed through. Perhaps it was because Coach Jones knew he was on the hot seat. Overall, I think LSU would benefit by playing more true out of conference road games as that would help prepare them for SEC play. This year they played only ONE of those. I have a hard time giving complete respect to schools that don't play true out of conference road games (LSU is only one of dozens of those). The Cajuns do have a good recruiting class coming in so they may be more consistently competitive in future years and playing in such an environment would be a low cost way to prepare the Tigers for conference play. That is the benefit of such a game for LSU. No you don't owe us anything and I understand your administration does things they believe is of benefit only to you as that is their job.
    That would be awesome. I hope that Wade does agree to bring the series back. If UL starts winning more consistently, a home and home would be great! I love seeing them play more frequently in baseball.

4. Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

As we discussed, this year has been a real exception for UL from an RPI standpoint. Again, I’d much rather play UL in BR than those teams. However, that doesn’t justify a trip to Lafayette.
    I miss the LSU visits during the Bo Lamar and Andrew Toney years.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    Yep.

I have been watching UL basketball since Marvin Winkler was playing. This team is decent and pretty deep, and I love watching them play, but they are not in the top 10 all time.
    I would agree with that but I do think they are in the Top 20 when healthy.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    None. Look, there's banter going on but UL does not have as many good wins as LSU. I will not deny that one bit. LSU, when looking back earlier at their schedule for this year, surprised me with some of the wins they've had during the season. I remember seeing the Houston game on TV. I also remember seeing them beat Michigan although that was not the same Michigan team at that time but nonetheless, they beat them and should get credit. BUT, LSU with all these good wins has also ____ the bed numerous times this season and that really tells me they've been inconsistent. UL has not. That is what I'm hoping to see on Wednesday. LSU stumble a bit and us play like we did pretty much the entire conference season.
    You nailed it. LSU has been up and down. Anything can happen in one game. Vegas has it pegged LSU - 4 and that’s pretty tight!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I miss the LSU visits during the Bo Lamar and Andrew Toney years.
    It would be great to see Louisiana basketball bust back onto the National scene. LSU, UL, Tulane have all had some great success in the past.

That would be awesome. I hope that Wade does agree to bring the series back. If UL starts winning more consistently, a home and home would be awesome. I love seeing them play more frequently in baseball.
    Note, this is our fifth consecutive winning season. Granted the years of 15-17 were not as good as 14 and 18. However, they were successful to some degree. The 2019 team will have the three transfers return, some decent backups returning, and a strong class coming in. Unfortunately our top guy (Kobe Julien) who competed well against your top recruit in HS (Smart) is injured and may have to redshirt. Still, the 2019 team has a chance to also be successful. What do you think of my point of the Tigers benefitting by playing more true out of conference road games? In my view they should play at least three of those. In years they play good competition in the exempt tournaments, they should at least play two.

They also beat Ark and A&M on the road. Name me one better road victory put up by UL this year? Or any win for that matter?
    Congratulations! Both of those teams are league games.

Note, this is our fifth consecutive winning season. Granted the years of 15-17 were not as good as 14 and 18. However, they were successful to some degree. What do you think of my point of the Tigers benefitting by more true out of conference road games? In my view they should play at least three of those. In years they play good competition in the exempt tournaments, they should at least play two.
    Scheduling under Johnny Jones was a joke. Will Wade is working on this and it will start to get better as soon as next season. I 100% agree a non-conf slate loaded with weak home games does you no good.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Congratulations! Both of those teams are league games.
    Thanks. I didn’t see where you specified in your question?

Thanks. I didn't see where you specified in your question?
    Not to downplay those wins, but I think his point was that those games are required by the conference you are in. I wondered why LSU struggled on the road so much following those two games. Did not make much sense. As far as we are concerned, we don't get the opportunity to play schools like that as many won't schedule us. I bet you did not know that schools such as USM, Tulane, Rice, Houston, etc. refuse to play us home and home. Even SLC schools such as Lamar and Stephen F. Austin have refused to play us home and home in the past. When people criticize our schedule, they don't realize the difficulty we face in completing a schedule.

Not to downplay those wins, but I think his point was that those games are required by the conference you are in. I wondered why LSU struggled on the road so much following those two games. Did not make much sense. As far as we are concerned, we don't get the opportunity to play schools like that as many won't schedule us. I bet you did not know that schools such as USM, Tulane, Rice, Houston, refuse to play us home and home. Even SLC schools such as Lamar and Stephen F. Austin have refused to play us home and home in the past. When people criticize our schedule, they don't realize the difficulty we face in completing a schedule.
    Again, I agree. The non-conf schedule will get better. Jones cared more about reaching 20 wins than he did the NCAA tourney. Also, the Cajundome on a Sat night with LSU in town would be a great environment.

Scheduling under Johnny Jones was a joke. Will Wade is working on this and it will start to get better as soon as next season.
    I edited an earlier post, but here it is again. In the last 2 years UL has had a better RPI than LSU. The three prior years LSU had a better RPI. In no year was the Cajuns RPI worse than 145; LSU was 195 last year. The RPI difference between the two has been modest, usually around 50 spots. Last year the Cajuns were 80 spots better, the year the Cajuns were 145, LSU was around 80 spots better. All in all, over the last 5 years anyway, home and home series would have been very beneficial to both teams.

15. Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

It would be great to see Louisiana basketball bust back onto the National scene. LSU, UL, Tulane have all had some great success in the past.
    Yeah but LSU declined to make the arduous trip then too.

Page 5 of 35 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 15 . LastLast

Thread Information