Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Quote Originally Posted by bballholic View Post
    Thanks. LSU has competed with and beaten some good teams at home. Should be a fun game to watch.
    Have they beaten any good teams on the road, besides Michigan early in the year?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Since RPI encompasses every tangible aspect of the W/L record, there should be no need for a seeding/invite committee.
    It does not.

?
    Hey little fella, what ID do you post on over at TD?

?
    This year's team is not close to one of our best ever. Not even close. Its a solid team who is fun to watch with good chemistry and is certainly one of the most complete teams we've had in the last 15 years or so but this team isn't even as good as the Tiras Wade, Orien Greene and Dwayne Mitchell team in 05 I believe.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Have they beaten any good teams on the road, besides Michigan early in the year?
    They also beat Ark and A&M on the road. Name me one better road victory put up by UL this year? Or any win for that matter?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    This year's team is not close to one of our best ever. Not even close. Its a solid team who is fun to watch with good chemistry and is certainly one of the most complete teams we've had in the last 15 years or so but this team isn't even as good as the Tiras Wade, Orien Greene and Dwayne Mitchell team in 05 I believe.
    Exactly, this isn’t a top 5 UL team of all-time, doubtful for top 10. Just a good group of players that dominated a poor league.

UL Basketball Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Let's see, Didn't LSU just come play UL in baseball at their house? That actually makes sense because UL is routinely ranked and LSU can benefit from the game. This is probably the first time in a while UL has finished top 100 in basketball. Why would LSU give up the gate at home to travel 57 miles to play a team that will probably have no positive effect on their RPI or post-season positioning? There is literally no upside. I guess LSU owes it to you? Should they come in football too?
    UL would have been the 4th best RPI team on LSU's non conference schedule this year, behind Michigan, Houston and Marquette; and the RPI boost from playing LSU would likely have pushed UL ahead of Marquette. Playing UL in Lafayette, assuming the Tigers won, would have been a quadrant 1 win. So there is a significant upside to playing UL instead of Alcorn or Samford or Tennessee Martin, and that would have been true every year for the last 5 years, though this would have been the best of those years.

Went check it out. UL's worst RPI in the last 5 years was 145, LSU's worst was 195. LSU had a better RPI than UL 3 out of the 5 years. I would consider games between the two beneficial to both teams every year in the last 5.

8. Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Should have used "trollholic" on this board!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I don’t post there but I do browse for a good laugh from time to time. Thanks for asking.

10. Default Re: LSU/UL NIT matchup

Let’s see, Didn’t LSU just come play UL in baseball at their house? That actually makes sense because UL is routinely ranked and LSU can benefit from the game. This is probably the first time in a while UL has finished top 100 in basketball. Why would LSU give up the gate at home to travel 57 miles to play a team that will probably have no positive effect on their RPI or post-season positioning? There is literally no upside. I guess LSU owes it to you? Should they come in football too?
    IberiaCajun didn't mention location, just play period.

You know, like;
    Stephen F. Austin
    Sam Houston
    North Florida

They also beat Ark and A&M on the road. Name me one better road victory put up by UL this year? Or any win for that matter?
    None. Look, there's banter going on but UL does not have as many good wins as LSU. I will not deny that one bit. LSU, when looking back earlier at their schedule for this year, surprised me with some of the wins they've had during the season. I remember seeing the Houston game on TV. I also remember seeing them beat Michigan although that was not the same Michigan team at that time but nonetheless, they beat them and should get credit. BUT, LSU with all these good wins has also ____ the bed numerous times this season and that really tells me they've been inconsistent. UL has not. That is what I'm hoping to see on Wednesday. LSU stumble a bit and us play like we did pretty much the entire conference season.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    UL would have been the 4th best RPI team on LSU's non conference schedule this year, behind Michigan, Houston and Marquette; and the RPI boost from playing LSU would likely have pushed UL ahead of Marquette. Playing UL in Lafayette, assuming the Tigers won, would have been a quadrant 1 win. So there is a significant upside to playing UL instead of Alcorn or Samford or Tennessee Martin, and that would have been true every year for the last 5 years, though this would have been the best.
    As we discussed, this year has been a real exception for UL from an RPI standpoint. Again, I’d much rather play UL in BR than those teams. However, that doesn’t justify a trip to Lafayette.

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    UL would have been the 4th best RPI team on LSU's non conference schedule this year, behind Michigan, Houston and Marquette; and the RPI boost from playing LSU would likely have pushed UL ahead of Marquette. Playing UL in Lafayette, assuming the Tigers won, would have been a quadrant 1 win. So there is a significant upside to playing UL instead of Alcorn or Samford or Tennessee Martin, and that would have been true every year for the last 5 years, though this would have been the best of those years.
    This is all logical but we all know that LSU will never do this. The brass do not want to hear the ____storm they will get from the fans and boosters if they were to agree to such unreasonable circumstances.

Let's see, Didn't LSU just come play UL in baseball at their house? That actually makes sense because UL is routinely ranked and LSU can benefit from the game. This is probably the first time in a while UL has finished top 100 in basketball. Why would LSU give up the gate at home to travel 57 miles to play a team that will probably have no positive effect on their RPI or post-season positioning? There is literally no upside. I guess LSU owes it to you? Should they come in football too?
    Note, the 2014 team with two NBA players on it from Louisiana finished in the Top 100. I understand the reluctance of LSU to come here. However, in recent years they have refused to even play us in Baton Rouge. That was the decision of Coach Jones and I don't know what Coach Wade will think of this going forward. Maybe we play more often in Baton Rouge going forward. Perhaps they are reluctant to give us that payday for some reason and would prefer the guarantee goes to a school like Nicholls. Coach Marlin thought LSU opening the refurbished CajunDome in December 2016 with funds going towards the flooding relief would have been great for both schools. Apparently the Tigers seriously considered this but never followed through. Perhaps it was because Coach Jones knew he was on the hot seat. Overall, I think LSU would benefit by playing more true out of conference road games as that would help prepare them for SEC play. This year they played only ONE of those. I have a hard time giving complete respect to schools that don't play true out of conference road games (LSU is only one of dozens of those). The Cajuns do have a good recruiting class coming in so they may be more consistently competitive in future years and playing in such an environment would be a low cost way to prepare the Tigers for conference play. That is the benefit of such a game for LSU. No you don't owe us anything and I understand your administration does things they believe is of benefit only to you as that is their job.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    IberiaCajun didn't mention location, just play period.

You know, like;
    Stephen F. Austin
    Sam Houston
    North Florida
    He actually did discuss location on page 3.

Page 4 of 35 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 . LastLast

Thread Information