Thread: UL Falls In Heartbreaking 71-68 Decision To UTA In SBC Semifinals

1. UL Basketball UL Falls In Heartbreaking 71-68 Decision To UTA In SBC Semifinals

Kaelon Wilson sank a pair of free throws with 1:19 remaining and added a key offensive rebound in the final seconds as No. 4-seeded UT Arlington claimed a 71-68 victory over the Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns in the Sun Belt Conference Men's Basketball Championship semifinals on Saturday at Lakefront Arena.

The rest of the story

LOUISIANA AC

Default Re: UL Falls In Heartbreaking 71-68 Decision To UTA In SBC Semifinals

So, where to next?

Louisiana Quotes
    Head Coach Bob Marlin
    Opening Statement:
    “Great basketball game. We played a team that won the league last year and was picked to win the league this year, and we were picked fifth, and beat the double figures the last two games we played them. They did a great job today and benefitted from some good breaks late in the game. We never got in a rhythm offensively. I felt like when we went up four, we had a chance to get a little bit of separation, but we missed a shot and missed a couple of block-outs as well and gave them some second opportunities. We fought back and I thought we had the game in control. From that standpoint it is disappointing, but I am proud of our team and what we accomplished this year. It’s the best record in school history, and we are not going to let a couple of bad breaks in the last minute take away from my love for this basketball team and what they have accomplished over the past year. I am proud of our seniors and they are devastated. We fought and I really like the way our guys competed.”
    Jakeenan (Grant) didn’t play. How much did that impact the game?
    “He wasn’t there so, it’s hard to say. But he is athletic, and the Newcomer and Defensive Player of the Year in the league. Hamilton had some buckets early and scored 12 points, so maybe he could have done some of the same for us. It affected our rotation not having him out there.”
    What was the difference in the comeback you guys had against them earlier in the season and today?
    “We made shots at Arlington. Justin Miller was big for us and scored a lot, but we also made some shots. We shot too many early in the game and couldn’t get one in in the second half.”
    Do you think the starters got a little winded with the lack of depth?
    “I thought their guys were more tired than us. We fussed at our guys, I took Marcus (Stroman) out and put Cedric (Russell) in. Cedric is young and he’s learning to run the plays, but we wanted to go, we thought we had them on the ropes right there and felt like they were tired.”
    Sophomore Forward Justin Miller
    On the way that they answered every time you guys tied or took the lead.
    “They are a good basketball team. They won the league last year and they have players on their side who can make the plays and at the end of the game, we just had to break away like we usually do at the end of the second half, and we just couldn’t get the stop.”
    Talk about your mentality in the second half.
    “Coach talked to us at halftime and said that a couple of guys could have big second halfs like we did in the season before we got here. I just felt like since JaKeenan (Grant) was out, I had to do what I had to do for the team.”
    Senior Forward Bryce Washington
    On the way that they answered every time you guys tied or took the lead.
    “No, if you look at their roster, they have seven seniors and have a veteran team. We knew it was going to be a hard-fought battle from the jump. I think the biggest lead of the game was seven, eight. It was always a two-three possession game, and we work on that in practice a lot. Neal hit two timely shots, Hervey hit a tough shot with four seconds on the clock on the inbound – they stepped up. It was big and I felt like we contained them to a point, but they just hit timely shots and the x-factor was Kevin Wilson, so you’ve got to give credit where credit is due.”
    Talk about the second-half intensity.
    “I felt like we had intensity from the tip, but coming out of the second half, down three – we’ve been in this position before and just had to stay poised. It’s my job to keep everyone poised – it’s a game of runs.”
    What was the difference with the rebounding battle in the last couple of minutes?
    “They got the big rebounds and that’s my fault. He wanted it more than me and that’s the worst part that hurts. That’s my job and that’s the one spark that could have had a difference in the game, and that’s not what a senior does. But that’s life and you learn from it.”
    http://www.sunbeltsports.org/news/20.ship-game.aspx

Bryce Washington is a special young man. He may not be the most talented basketball player but one can not deny his hustle and love for the game. It was fun to watch him play these past four years. He is not the reason the team lost. He is such a competitor. You don't get as many rebounds as he does (among the Louisiana and SBC career leaders) without desire and hard work.
    I will miss not watching him play. He has represented the university and the conference well.
    If you watch the post game comments, you will see that his opponents have the utmost respect for him. I wish him well.
    Good luck in the NIT.
    Go Cajuns!

When Washington got his nose smashed early in the game at first I was concerned then was hopeful he would get mad and take over the game. UTA’s big man held him in check. We really needed to go to the rim more to get him in Gould trouble.

Main point from these comments is that the cajun seniors are devastated. As CajunT said this happens in life and you learn to deal with it. Yes it was not fair that two of our main guys really could not go and we had few calls go our way. Lots of things happen to all of us that are not fair and we learn to plow ahead. Something tells me that these guys will do the same as they move on.

Yes, sorry for the Seniors, but every so slight shot at NCAA and better shot at NIT. These young men have learned how to be warriors and will take it to whomever they play next!

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    Yes, sorry for the Seniors, but every so slight shot at NCAA and better shot at NIT. These young men have learned how to be warriors and will take it to whomever they play next!
    ZERO chance at NCAA.
    100% chance at NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by DaddyCajun View Post
    Regular season champs who do not win their conference tournament automatically go to NIT these days.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Regular season champs who do not win their conference tournament automatically go to NIT these days.
    Especially those not in a P5 conference.

Thread Information