Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mississippi River

Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Back on topic, I’ve heard that ACoE has notified landowners to remove movable property out of the Morganza Spillway. I haven’t confirmed this, so it may just be rumor at this point but I think with the degradation of the levee up around Blackhawk Plantation they may need to relieve som pressure.

tRump's rollbacks are not helping.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    Back on topic, I’ve heard that ACoE has notified landowners to remove movable property out of the Morganza Spillway. I haven’t confirmed this, so it may just be rumor at this point but I think with the degradation of the levee up around Blackhawk Plantation they may need to relieve som pressure.
    Go to the your favorite APP store and download USACE Vicksburg APP. It will give you access to lots of valuable information. The Mississippi river stages are predicted to drop after the 15th of March at most stations along the lower reaches of the river. It really needs to do this because once snow melt starts it will probably come up again. The app has a link to twitter feed and river stages.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    This is the e-log of the well. It shows overburden to about 130, the wood from 130 to about 158 and sand to 217. Below 217 is a break point of clay/silt that separates the Chicot Aquifer above from the Evangeline Aquifer below. I did some test wells south of this location and found the Evangeline Aquifer to be brackish so we were not interested in exploring any deeper.
    huh?

Go to the your favorite APP store and download USACE Vicksburg APP. It will give you access to lots of valuable information. The Mississippi river stages are predicted to drop after the 15th of March at most stations along the lower reaches of the river. It really needs to do this because once snow melt starts it will probably come up again. The app has a link to twitter feed and river stages.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Back on topic, I've heard that ACoE has notified landowners to remove movable property out of the Morganza Spillway. I haven't confirmed this, so it may just be rumor at this point but I think with the degradation of the levee up around Blackhawk Plantation they may need to relieve som pressure.
    You have any info on the degradation of the levee?

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    You have any info on the degradation of the levee?
    I just saw some pictures and read some stuff on other sites. But if weather allows, I am going to fly up there on Monday and get pictures of my own.

Where is Blackhawk Plantation?

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Concordia Parish. On the river

10. UL 1984, 1999 . . . . Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

This shows where it’s at

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Bl...4776e053?gl=us

11. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

However, if you look at the NOAA/NWS experimental forecast (which goes out 16 days of expected weather vs 2 days) it shows that the river starts to drop but immediately reverses and starts to rise again. This is due to the forecasted weather for this weekend. I would assume the official forecast will reflect the long term change in the next few days.

From my completely pedistrian view, this does not look good at all. Red River landing will be at least 12ft above flood stage for over 3 weeks. That has to take a toll on the levees. If there are more rain events in the Mississippi valley or warmer weather that increases snow melt then the river at RR could push all time levels. I really think they will have to open Morganza.

https://www.weather.gov/lmrfc/experi...sissippi_plot#

Quote Originally Posted by cypremort View Post
    However, if you look at the NOAA/NWS experimental forecast (which goes out 16 days of expected weather vs 2 days) it shows that the river starts to drop but immediately reverses and starts to rise again. This is due to the forecasted weather for this weekend. I would assume the official forecast will reflect the long term change in the next few days.

From my completely pedistrian view, this does not look good at all. Red River landing will be at least 12ft above flood stage for over 3 weeks. That has to take a toll on the levees. If there are more rain events in the Mississippi valley or warmer weather that increases snow melt then the river at RR could push all time levels. I really think they will have to open Morganza.

Correct, but I think we need to be thankful for any lowering of river stages we can get right now. Any lowering of the water surface will give us some breathing room. A little bit of something is better than a lot of nothing.

Quote Originally Posted by cypremort View Post

In the recipe that leads to a failed ORCS, and the Mississippi changing course, we are following it to the letter, so far.

Weather pattern remains same until snow melt, then we get a Tropical system in May.

We're basically almost to the point of being a TS away from absolute catastrophe this nation has never seen.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    In the recipe that leads to a failed ORCS, and the Mississippi changing course, we are following it to the letter, so far.

Weather pattern remains same until snow melt, then we get a Tropical system in May.

We're basically almost to the point of being a TS away from absolute catastrophe this nation has never seen.
    Familiar with the Swiss Cheese model? It normally applies to human systems but would be applicable to these situations. If the rainfall in the upper watershed occurs in this time span rather than that time span, or if the lower watershed is affected by a Gulf storm or if ... When enough holes line up, that catastrophe occurs.

A few miles north of the Old River complex.

Page 9 of 43 FirstFirst ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 19 ... LastLast

Thread Information