Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mississippi River

Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The Wilcox is about 4000-5000 feet in the Natchez area, and 6000 feet or so across much of Mississippi south of Jackson and north of Hattiesburg. Also approximations from a rusty memory.
    Not familiar with much below the Chicot and Evangeline aquifers as I am interested in finding drinking water. I would not doubt it though, as both aquifers get deeper and somewhat thicker as they progress south. The Evangeline Aquifer is brackish north of Lafayette and is flat out salty the closer you get to the Gulf of Mexico. Likewise for the Chicot but it gets Brackish near Abbeville and further south. The Chicot Aquifer really gets messed up around salt domes though. Very irregular water quality. I guess due to the eruption of the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    Not familiar with much below the Chicot and Evangeline aquifers as I am interested in finding drinking water. I would not doubt it though, as both aquifers get deeper and somewhat thicker as they progress south. The Evangeline Aquifer is brackish north of Lafayette and is flat out salty the closer you get to the Gulf of Mexico. Likewise for the Chicot but it gets Brackish near Abbeville and further south. The Chicot Aquifer really gets messed up around salt domes though. Very irregular water quality. I guess due to the eruption of the dome.
    The Chicot aquifer runs all the way to the GOM, right? About what depths are we talking about for this Aquifer?

3. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

This is a photograph of the wood chips that were recovered from 123 feet to 154'. They are very light and the strands are very flexible.
    Amazing. Could a study determine the type of wood?

(Also, Antarctica is rising at the rate of 1.6 inches a year. Due to ice melt some say.)

Back on topic: For a tree to survive the decaying process, whether upright or in a water rush current heap. Don't you think some sort of sediment protection would be involved. Probably followed by immense pressure.

I can't see tree matter surviving (not decaying) in ether manner with a slow sinking process.

4. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Doesn’t decay, rot require oxygen. Probably used up rather quickly.

5. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Doesn’t decay, rot require oxygen. Probably used up rather quickly.
    That would rule out gradual was my Q/prem

This all reminds me of my 7th grade science class: we went outside (on a beautiful spring day) on the football field and had big blue trays of sand and that we could set at different angles. There was a hose at the top of the trays that let us also control the flow of water.

From there we were able to create mini 'rivers' and watch how the courses changed, forming ox-bow rivers etc. I remember realizing that what had happened at False river, where friends had a camp that we'd go skiing and hang out.

It was a great lesson and one that has stuck with me all these years.

This is a photograph of the wood chips that were recovered from 123 feet to 154'. They are very light and the strands are very flexible.
    We found similar wood chips when the water well folks dug my well at home. I think the chips were found around 150' down. I was amazed to find them. I'm about 200' off the bank of the Vermilion in Vermilion Parish.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    The Chicot aquifer runs all the way to the GOM, right? About what depths are we talking about for this Aquifer?
    That's correct. That is why the Chicot Aquifer is brackish south of Abbevile. The Chicot Aquifer has variable depth and thickness. In some places it is divided into the upper chicot and lower chicot with a clay break between. You can reach a sand as high as 35 feet deep but it is usually not water bearing. It can be almost 500 feet deep and 400 feet thick in some parts. I just completed a well near Loureauville that was almost 500 feet deep with a static water level of 11.0 feet. Almost an Artisian well. It produces a boat load of water.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    We found similar wood chips when the water well folks dug my well at home. I think the chips were found around 150' down. I was amazed to find them. I'm about 200' off the bank of the Vermilion in Vermilion Parish.
    North of Abbevile I'm thinking or it would be salt water that deep.

That's correct. That is why the Chicot Aquifer is brackish south of Abbevile. The Chicot Aquifer has variable depth and thickness. In some places it is divided into the upper chicot and lower chicot with a clay break between. You can reach a sand as high as 35 feet deep but it is usually not water bearing. It can be almost 500 feet deep and 400 feet thick in some parts. I just completed a well near Loureauville that was almost 500 feet deep with a static water level of 11.0 feet. Almost an Artisian well. It produces a boat load of water.
    I'm on a east/west ridge (24' elevation) between Milton & Youngsville.

North of Abbevile I'm thinking or it would be salt water that deep.
    That is correct. About 7 or so miles north at Woodlawn.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Amazing. Could a study determine the type of wood?

(Also, Antarctica is rising at the rate of 1.6 inches a year. Due to ice melt some say.)

Back on topic: For a tree to survive the decaying process, whether upright or in a water rush current heap. Don't you think some sort of sediment protection would be involved. Probably followed by immense pressure.

I can't see tree matter surviving (not decaying) in ether manner with a slow sinking process.
    Isostatic rebound.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

CharlieK--Trying to send you a pm. Clean your box bro

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    CharlieK--Trying to send you a pm. Clean your box bro
    Done.

Well, here is today's nugget for the global warming crowd to fret about.

https://www.theatlantic.com/technolo.-trash/584131/

Page 8 of 43 FirstFirst . 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 18 . LastLast

Thread Information