Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mississippi River

1. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Fascinating

Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    See the image below for an over view of the ORCS/ Morganza complex. ORCS complex is in the upper portion of the image and is located by a push pin. It consists of three structures. Starting upstream there is the hydro power plant, the low sill structure (this is where they had the failure during the 1973 event) and the Auxiliary Structure. These three structures discharge to a channel heading west. This channel forms a "tee" at the location where the Red River Ends and the Atchafalaya river begins. A little further downstream on the Mississippi River are the Old River Locks. This is where navigation between the Mississippi and the Atchafalaya takes place. Further downstream on the Mississippi at the middle of the bottom of the photo is the Morganza spillway. This is where a majority of the water is diverted during a flood event.

This location is where prehistory and history took place. It is also a place where history might be written. We may live to see it, maybe not. If the ORCS fails I would think that Simmsport would be a good place not to be. Just sayin.
    In addition to the 3 structures you listed would be the Overbank Structure located between the Low Sill and the Hydro Plant. It's a similar structure to Bonnet Carre with a fixed sill elevation and needles to be manipulated to allow maximum flow.

In addition to Simmesport are also Melville and Krotz Springs which are protected somewhat by ring levees, however any major threat to them would happen only after a failure of the west Atchafalaya River levee as they are all outside of the Morganza Floodway. Not a good place to be anyway as you say.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    In addition to the 3 structures you listed would be the Overbank Structure located between the Low Sill and the Hydro Plant. It's a similar structure to Bonnet Carre with a fixed sill elevation and needles to be manipulated to allow maximum flow.

In addition to Simmesport are also Melville and Krotz Springs which are protected somewhat by ring levees, however any major threat to them would happen only after a failure of the west Atchafalaya River levee as they are all outside of the Morganza Floodway. Not a good place to be anyway as you say.
    You are correct. I figured you would add additional information that I may have left out, thanks. Below is a closer image of the ORCS complex. It goes without saying the fifth element in the ORCS complex are the levees.
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Below is a Google Image of the area just north of the ORCS complex. It shows many Ox Bow lakes, and Ox Bow scars of previous paths of either the Red or Mississippi rivers.

6. Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

I think they need to understand the significance of salt water intrusion up the Mississippi River up to Baton rouge (Possibly). This should not be underestimated as the amount of coastal erosion would be extreme. The salt water would kill all, what is now, native vegetation and result in bare soil that would easily erode. Also, the cities that rely on the Mississippi for drinking water would have to modify their water treatment plants to remove salt from the water.
    When I read this it got me thinking, if the Mississippi River did take the route of the Atchafalaya River, what would the coast line look like over time say 25 years later?

Quote Originally Posted by RaginCajun77 View Post
    When I read this it got me thinking, if the Mississippi River did take the route of the Atchafalaya River, what would the coast line look like over time say 25 years later?
    It’s already growing out of the Wax Lake Outlet and the Atchafalaya Delta. It’s really the only place in Louisiana gaining ground.

This is the wax lake outlet and the mouth of the Atchafalaya river

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    I'm thinking corn, soy beans, wheat, beef and pork prices will be going up this summer. I don't think they will be able to plant much in the flooded areas.

I'm thinking corn, soy beans, wheat, beef and pork prices will be going up this summer. I don't think they will be able to plant much in the flooded areas.
    I have grave concerns about the cost of pork bellies (aka bacon). :-)

I have grave concerns about the cost of pork bellies (aka bacon). :-)
    Cue the Trading Places Gif's.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Cue the Trading Places Gif's.

On the other hand Beef and Pork might go down because they will be forced to sell because feed will be expensive.

In another thread the talk of flood insurance came up and thought I would post a few things here.

The majority of homes flooded in the U.S. are NOT in a 100 yr. flood plain. It is important to understand your risk. Unfortunately realtors, builders, and our government aren't very good at doing this. They simple tell you "you aren't in a flood zone and don't have to have flood insurance". The truth is much more complicated. IF your property is a foot above base flood elevation then hey your good right? Not exactly; and a lot of property in the Lafayette area is like that. Many developers built up their property to that height. It is like walking a tight rope.

Bottom line is look up the flood maps online and see what your TRUE risk is for flooding. If you are one of those who isn't far above the base flood you should be concerned. IF you are say 20-25 feet above base flood then maybe your risk isn't that big of a deal. With that said flood insurance for most people outside of the 100 yr. plan isn't very expensive.

In another thread the talk of flood insurance came up and thought I would post a few things here.

The majority of homes flooded in the U.S. are NOT in a 100 yr. flood plain. It is important to understand your risk. Unfortunately realtors, builders, and our government aren't very good at doing this. They simple tell you "you aren't in a flood zone and don't have to have flood insurance". The truth is much more complicated. IF your property is a foot above base flood elevation then hey your good right? Not exactly; and a lot of property in the Lafayette area is like that. Many developers built up their property to that height. It is like walking a tight rope.

Bottom line is look up the flood maps online and see what your TRUE risk is for flooding. If you are one of those who isn't far above the base flood you should be concerned. IF you are say 20-25 feet above base flood then maybe your risk isn't that big of a deal. With that said flood insurance for most people outside of the 100 yr. plan isn't very expensive.
    I'm lucky enough to be in that 20-25 feet number you listed. The roadways might be impassable to the house, but the house should be OK.

What I think I saw in the last flooding event in the Youngsville area was related to all the new subdivisions disrupting the previous slopes that led to the drainage systems in place. Could I maybe be right on that?

Page 14 of 43 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 24 . LastLast

Thread Information