Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread: 2019 Mississippi River

Default Re: OT: Mississippi River Aquapocalypse 2019

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    We REALLY need a few weeks of no rain for the river basin before snow melt reaches us.

If we don't dry out, and we get a Tropical system to sit over us for a few days, those levees are toast.
    That would help but it appears the weather pattern is a storm every 4 to 6 days that drops rain or snow.

Here is a map of the flooded areas from the Great Flood of 1927.

Attached Images Attached Images  

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    I just saw some pictures and read some stuff on other sites. But if weather allows, I am going to fly up there on Monday and get pictures of my own.
    Did this happen?

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Did this happen?
    I’ve flown up and down the river twice this week and I haven’t spotted them. But the water is extremely high. Many of the elevated camps on Lake Mary have water in them.

Mississippi River Meander Belts, from a set of maps created in the 1940s.

What happens if the ORCS fails:

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/la/geolo.-ocr-small.pdf

The Fisk Report, that triggered the creation of the ORCS:

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/climate/.952-report.pdf

What happens if the ORCS fails:

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/la/geolo.-ocr-small.pdf

The Fisk Report, that triggered the creation of the ORCS:

https://biotech.law.lsu.edu/climate/.952-report.pdf
    Your linked came from inbred Baton Rouge redneck school. I refuse to open them and believe anything that’s in them!!

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunrunner View Post
    Your linked came from inbred Baton Rouge redneck school. I refuse to open them and believe anything that's in them!!
    Field trip for the truly nerdy:

Project Flood and the Mississippi River Flood control design:

Field trip for the truly nerdy:
    I guess I'm nerdy. I found that a very interesting read. Touring the ORCS and that area is on my weekend discovery list. I'd like to do it while the river is at or near flood stage.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post

Here is a graph that shows the increase in frequency of extreme one day precipitation events over the past 100 years.

Those crazy librul scientists and Rob Perillo said that one of the effects of Climate Change was more extreme weather. This means more water falling at one time, which means more water traveling down the Mississippi at one time.

In 1927 a flood of that magnitude was considered a 100 year flood. In 2019, it is more like a 5 or 10 year flood.

Like I said in my first post. This will be the new normal. Get used to it. I hope and pray the Army Corps of Engineers is preparing for it.
    “A 100 year flood” doesn’t mean what you seem to think it means.

The floods of 1935 and 1947 rivaled 1927 for river stage.

What we see now is driven by physical changes to the land drained by the river as well as to the river itself, some (most?) man made. This process has been going on at an accelerated rate since long before we burned carbon.

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    I guess I'm nerdy. I found that a very interesting read. Touring the ORCS and that area is on my weekend discovery list. I'd like to do it while the river is at or near flood stage.
    I’ve been over it a few times, never in flood stage. Planning a trip over the next few weeks with another fellow nerd

Quote Originally Posted by BeauCajun View Post
    FYI

I'm not aware of any official tours being conducted during high river stages, maybe but I doubt it. If you just want to see the areas at high river stages, drive through Morganza on Hwy 1, over the Morganza Control Structure, and continue north on Hwy 1, then turn right on Hwy 15 which will take you to the Old River Complex. As long as traffic is still being allowed over the Low Sill structure you will be able to get an idea of how mighty the Mississippi is. Black Hawk Plantation is a few miles north of the ORCS's which is the upstream limit of the USACE New Orleans District authority. From there Vicksburg District takes over.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    FYI

I'm not aware of any official tours being conducted during high river stages, maybe but I doubt it. If you just want to see the areas at high river stages, drive through Morganza on Hwy 1, over the Morganza Control Structure, and continue north on Hwy 1, then turn right on Hwy 15 which will take you to the Old River Complex. As long as traffic is still being allowed over the Low Sill structure you will be able to get an idea of how mighty the Mississippi is. Black Hawk Plantation is a few miles north of the ORCS's which is the upstream limit of the USACE New Orleans District authority. From there Vicksburg District takes over.
    I did that back in 2011 when they were opening morganza spillway. The river was almost up to the road on the river side. I wanted to stop and take photos but there was no place to park AND the strictly prohibited parking in the area unless an emergency. It was scary.

Quote Originally Posted by mahtoo View Post
    FYI

Thanks for the info. That was my plan to take a driving tour of the area. I've never been in that part of the state. North of False River and east of Marksville.

Page 11 of 43 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 21 . LastLast

Thread Information