Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread: Crowd estimate for Basketball Senior Night.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    I think people with young ones don’t see it as worth it anymore.
    The young ragin cajun card is only$100. Very cheap and they can attend every event with that card. That's just another excuse

Default Re: Crowd estimate for Basketball Senior Night.

Quote Originally Posted by crazycajun View Post
    That’s news to me and i follow every athletic account. One of our best teams ever and attendance never really increased. We have had higher attended games in recent years Before they closed the top with extremely mediocre teams. For a family of 4 to drop $40 just to get in and the little ones barely pay attention i think has turned a segment of people away. We can either look at things that have changed or just chalk it up to “people don’t care anymore” attendance has gone down since the upgrade and new rules even with a 26-4 conference champion that is the most fun to watch since 2005.
    Out of curiosity, what does it cost for a family of 4 to get into a baseball game?

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I don't agree with #'s 6 and 3 at all. Please don't throw the economy at me. Please. I didn't renew my season tickets because I was fed up to a degree with Marlin's lack of progress. I'll admit it, however, I've been to about 8 home games thus far and am going tonight. The problem is that people were tired of our program treading water while Baseball and Solftball were building new stadiums and excitement. You don't see any problems with people going spend money on tailgating spots, tickets, concessions etc. for baseball? No. The economy is not the problem.

Anti-climactic? According to everyone here and their reasons for losing interest in basketball is lack of winning. Well, if people really want a winner, they would love to go see us drum up on teams. No? Sure, it will always add some excitement to go see us play a top team at home but I don't think our attendance "suffers" because we are destroying people. Are we now telling our players "We want you guys to win every game but just don't win by too much or I'll be bored"?
    You must be ignorant of the economic reality in this city. There are lots of people not spending money on things, myself included. It isn’t hard to see at UL either. Remember the years long waiting list we had for tailgating spots? Last I heard we had something like 70-80 available this season. Remember the years long season ticket waiting list we had for baseball? You can call up UL and buy as many as you want today.

And that’s just UL. Restaurants, golf courses, and other entertainment options are all struggling big time. Damn near everyone I know who was working in Oil and Gas is making substantially less money than they were before the bust — like 1/3 to 1/2. That fun money ain’t there anymore.

And about the anti-climatic thing, I’m not saying it is keeping 2,000 people away. But it absolutely matters. Like I said in my post it is death by a thousand cuts. When you’ve got the conference championship locked down there are no “big” games. Less people are going to show up.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Seeing your post made me reflect on this issue. I would definitely agree that apathy and cost are big factors in attendance numbers. I believe the apathy is due to a couple of factors: 1) only one NCAA tournament appearance in Marlin’s tenure; and, 2) Sunbelt conference. As far as Marlin, I would equate him to Bustle and Hud in the sense that they were the right coaches at the right time, but not the coaches to get UL to the level that we believe we should be. I like Marlin as a person and am very happy for him and the team for the tremendous season they are having, but let’s be honest, this is a very weak conference and in the chances that the team has had to get quality wins, they have been not only beat, but blown out. If they were to get in the NCAA’s and win a game or two, I would say that Marlin deserves another couple of years, but if they don’t, I would like to see another coach at the helm.

As far as (2), as stated above, the Sunbelt is extremely weak as a whole and has been for some time. Nobody wants to see those teams come to the dome.

On a personal note, I do not like watching games at the dome. I know they have made recent changes to make it a more intimate experience, and those changes are great, but it still doesn’t match the feel and intensity that Blackham had. If the university ever had the money, I would prefer a new stadium where Blackham now sits with the same capacity and intimacy.

As you stated, I think money/cost is a big factor as well. The oilfield has not returned and entertainment dollars are on the short side for a lot of people.

Having said all of the above, I hope this team goes far in post season and I’m very proud of them for what they have accomplished thus far.
    LOL. You are right about Marlin but we may not get him for another couple of years if this one continues on its path. If this team were to make the tournament and win a game or two, his name would be a hot name on the open market. See Chris Beard from a couple years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    You must be ignorant of the economic reality in this city. There are lots of people not spending money on things, myself included. It isn’t hard to see at UL either. Remember the years long waiting list we had for tailgating spots? Last I heard we had something like 70-80 available this season. Remember the years long season ticket waiting list we had for baseball? You can call up UL and buy as many as you want today.

And that’s just UL. Restaurants, golf courses, and other entertainment options are all struggling big time. Damn near everyone I know who was working in Oil and Gas is making substantially less money than they were before the bust — like 1/3 to 1/2. That fun money ain’t there anymore.

And about the anti-climatic thing, I’m not saying it is keeping 2,000 people away. But it absolutely matters. Like I said in my post it is death by a thousand cuts. When you’ve got the conference championship locked down there are no “big” games. Less people are going to show up.
    LOL. You are the true economist. The funny thing is that these spending figures you are claiming come with no actual figures. You are speaking in general terms. I'm not saying the economy is where it was 4 years ago but I'm also not saying that its "struggling". My understanding is that baseball season tickets are at a near all time high. They are averaging nearly as much as basketball. How much does it cost for season tickets to that? I'm not sure because I don't do baseball.

The funny thing is you calling others ignorant of anything when you make generalizations at best. In regards to the waiting list for tailgating spots, you think people who often tailgate in groups and split costs aren't able to do it anymore or do you think people were fed up with what they've seen in the football program over the last 3 years? I'd say the latter had more to do with it as that is exactly where I was with my support.

The anti-climactic thing is just honestly funny. I can't believe people think this way. You think that because the race is wrapped up early, nobody wants to go? That is absurd. People are always clamoring for a winner. That would be like the biggest paradox in sports culture. "Hey, the team is winning every game. Let's not go because we know they will win". But when we lose its "We are stooped in mediocrity and I won't go until we commit all resources to winning". LOL. You are funny.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Please don't take this personally, but when we as fans hear things from coaches that are factors in what we perceive to be weaknesses, we get ____ed and say he's making excuses. Damn near everyone on this board is guilty.

Social media presence could be better. But the same staff that was understaffed BEFORE social media became so important hasn't grown. That is being addressed.

Our fans criticize scheduling all the time. See this past football season. But in Hud's first year, we had one non conference home game and that was against Nicholls. It's been proven time and time again over the last 15 years that home basketball scheduling doesn't increase attendance. The change in membership has been a factor. Wish WKU and MTSU were still here.

And, did you just suggest our attendance would be better if we LOST more so the league race would be more exciting? Gotta admit, that's a first.

My point, which you responded to is, people will always have a reason. "I'll go when concessions are cheaper" or fill in the blank

That kind of reminds me of "I'll give more when we fire Scott Farmer." Some here promised to write a check the day he was fired. The RCAF is still waiting.

For those who want a reason NOT to go, there will always be reasons.
    I feel like you missed my entire point. It isn’t about making excuses for UL. Actually, it’s the opposite.

If Maggard is doing his job he should be identifying the obstacles that are keeping people from showing up to games (like I did in my post) and try to find ways to eliminate those obstacles. That’s all I’m saying.

“And, did you just suggest our attendance would be better if we LOST more so the league race would be more exciting? Gotta admit, that's a first.”

^On the other hand, that’s definitely not what I said.

I feel like you missed my entire point. It isn’t about making excuses for UL. Actually, it’s the opposite.

If Maggard is doing his job he should be identifying the obstacles that are keeping people from showing up to games (like I did in my post) and try to find ways to eliminate those obstacles. That’s all I’m saying.

“And, did you just suggest our attendance would be better if we LOST more so the league race would be more exciting? Gotta admit, that's a first.”

^On the other hand, that’s definitely not what I said.
    OK, so I do want to make sure we are all clear on what your point is. You are saying that the downturn in the oilfield is what is keeping our attendance numbers down along with being too good? I'm not asking this to be condescending but I want to be very clear before I make my next point.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    LOL. You are the true economist. The funny thing is that these spending figures you are claiming come with no actual figures. You are speaking in general terms. I'm not saying the economy is where it was 4 years ago but I'm also not saying that its "struggling". My understanding is that baseball season tickets are at a near all time high. They are averaging nearly as much as basketball. How much does it cost for season tickets to that? I'm not sure because I don't do baseball.

The funny thing is you calling others ignorant of anything when you make generalizations at best. In regards to the waiting list for tailgating spots, you think people who often tailgate in groups and split costs aren't able to do it anymore or do you think people were fed up with what they've seen in the football program over the last 3 years? I'd say the latter had more to do with it as that is exactly where I was with my support.

The anti-climactic thing is just honestly funny. I can't believe people think this way. You think that because the race is wrapped up early, nobody wants to go? That is absurd. People are always clamoring for a winner. That would be like the biggest paradox in sports culture. "Hey, the team is winning every game. Let's not go because we know they will win". But when we lose its "We are stooped in mediocrity and I won't go until we commit all resources to winning". LOL. You are funny.
    Want sources? Sure. I have no problem when people are skeptical. Here you go. No generalizations. Raw Data. The economy in Lafayette sucks. People are hurting because of it.

GDP is down about 30% from it's peak.
    https://www.opendatanetwork.com/enti._gdp?year=2016

Family income is down 12% over the past 3 years (not adjusted for inflation.)
    http://www.deptofnumbers.com/income/.ayette/#family

We lost 16,500 jobs in 2015-2016. The economic outlook still doesn't look great.
    http://allianceswla.org/Images/Inter.%20excerpt.pdf

P.S. I like how you attack me for using generalizations then spend the rest of your post using antecdotes to prove your points. LOL. You are funny.

Want sources? Sure. I have no problem when people are skeptical. Here you go. No generalizations. Raw Data. The economy in Lafayette sucks. People are hurting because of it.

We lost 16,500 jobs in 2015-2016. The economic outlook still doesn't look great.

P.S. I like how you attack me for using generalizations then spend the rest of your post using antecdotes to prove your points. LOL. You are funny.
    I agree that the economy is a factor. A big one. Only thing I don't understand is why hasn't baseball been affected. Can anyone answer that?

Did you not say one of the reasons attendance isn't better is because we ran away with the league race? Did you not say more people would go if the race was tighter.

My paraphrasing is simply another way of saying what you said.

Again, I never said that the economy was as good or better but to say that "Families just don't want to spend anything" is a bit misleading since cost of living continues to go up and the average price of homes are at record numbers at close to $250,000. I see a lot of Cadillacs and Mercedes being driven around town. But besides that point, the 80's were the real oil bust time wouldn't you agree? I was young in the 80's but I remember people saying that 40% of lafayette moved out of town. However, if you look at our attendance in 1986, we were in the top 70 and averaged nearly 7,000 fans per game. How do you explain that? I'll post the link below. This is at a time where we are more dependent on Oil than now where our local economic dependence on Oil is estimated to be around 70%. Now we are estimated to be about 35-40% dependent on Oil with the emergence of other markets, the legal sector and ever growing Medical sector bringing in higher paying jobs. So, if the oil downturn (its certainly not a bust), which is less impactful than what we saw in the 80's,is playing such a large part in our attendance, why didn't we see the same thing in the mid 80's?

http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_bask.ttend/1986.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Seeing your post made me reflect on this issue. I would definitely agree that apathy and cost are big factors in attendance numbers. I believe the apathy is due to a couple of factors: 1) only one NCAA tournament appearance in Marlin’s tenure; and, 2) Sunbelt conference. As far as Marlin, I would equate him to Bustle and Hud in the sense that they were the right coaches at the right time, but not the coaches to get UL to the level that we believe we should be. I like Marlin as a person and am very happy for him and the team for the tremendous season they are having, but let’s be honest, this is a very weak conference and in the chances that the team has had to get quality wins, they have been not only beat, but blown out. If they were to get in the NCAA’s and win a game or two, I would say that Marlin deserves another couple of years, but if they don’t, I would like to see another coach at the helm.

As far as (2), as stated above, the Sunbelt is extremely weak as a whole and has been for some time. Nobody wants to see those teams come to the dome.

On a personal note, I do not like watching games at the dome. I know they have made recent changes to make it a more intimate experience, and those changes are great, but it still doesn’t match the feel and intensity that Blackham had. If the university ever had the money, I would prefer a new stadium where Blackham now sits with the same capacity and intimacy.

As you stated, I think money/cost is a big factor as well. The oilfield has not returned and entertainment dollars are on the short side for a lot of people.

Having said all of the above, I hope this team goes far in post season and I’m very proud of them for what they have accomplished thus far.
    Marlin has not performed in the matter we are used to?

OK, let's see:

If we win the tournament, that will be two NCAA in eight years
    Paschal had two in seven years
    Fletcher had two in eleven years.
    Evans had two in seven years
    Lee had one in six years.

And, here's another thing: We've been in the Sun Belt for 27 seasons. How many times have the Cajuns been the outright regular season champion.

This is the first one. THE FIRST ONE
    (We had the best record in 04, but they only recognized division champions then.)

And, while doing this, Marlin is graduating kids at a higher rate than anyone in memory.

I'm not for giving him a lifetime contract, but your perception does not equal our reality.

I'm glad you aren't the AD. And, speaking of which, Maggard LOVES Marlin.

Did you not say one of the reasons attendance isn't better is because we ran away with the league race? Did you not say more people would go if the race was tighter.

My paraphrasing is simply another way of saying what you said.
    I did say that.

You’re the one who twisted that into “.our attendance would be better if we LOST more.” That’s not paraphrasing, that’s misrepresentation.

If you want to criticize something I write by all means go for it. But please attack what I wrote and not a strawman you created.

Marlin has not performed in the matter we are used to?

OK, let's see:

If we win the tournament, that will be two NCAA in eight years
    Paschal had two in seven years
    Fletcher had two in eleven years.
    Evans had two in seven years
    Lee had one in six years.

And, here's another thing: We've been in the Sun Belt for 27 seasons. How many times have the Cajuns been the outright regular season champion.

This is the first one. THE FIRST ONE
    (We had the best record in 04, but they only recognized division champions then.)

And, while doing this, Marlin is graduating kids at a higher rate than anyone in memory.

I'm not for giving him a lifetime contract, but your perception does not equal our reality.

I'm glad you aren't the AD. And, speaking of which, Maggard LOVES Marlin.
    You are comparing Marlin to guys who had a much smaller field for the tournament so there were less spots to take up for the same number of teams. You also had coaches who won some big games on the road and got some big teams at home. I would say that Marlin has underperformed but I don't want to take away from the season he has had this year. I'm all in and he has my support.

The rest of your argument has merit. You also have to understand that many people's perceptions of Marlin were based on years prior to this one. Multiple NBA players, higher expectations only to never really challenge even for the league top 2 or 3, tons of turnover all while being the highest paid coach in the conference. There were many reasons to be skeptical.

Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 . LastLast

Thread Information