Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13

Thread: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

1. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    It’s not about the money. If you’re not on mass television do you really matter? We’re in this contract for the handful of Saturday games, and mid week games on the ESPN network.
    I don't think "mass television" has the positive effect it once did.

You can (in theory) own your own broadcast these days (the technology is there) and still get "mass television" with road games.

Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Compensation has already been agreed to in the contract. No way ESPN changes that. It will be 8 years before we can even discuss that. Next time Jay has the commissioner on I would like him to ask how we can honor the contract and minimize the no. of times teams don't have Saturday October home games and the no. of times a team is on during the week 3 times in one year.
    My comment was somewhat in jest.

We (IMO) agree to these midweek games to get tv exposure; that exposure value is rated higher than the potential lost revenue from lower attendance.

The MAC plays a lot of games on Tuesday nights; I wonder what they think of it and how their attendance is affected.

Maybe Boomer can dig up some info!

3. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by moorecajun View Post
    the potential lost revenue from lower attendance.

The MAC plays a lot of games on Tuesday nights; I wonder what they think of it and how their attendance is affected.
    https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/3/2.he-bottom-line

According to the link, it has hurt the MAC. It's the part that's a warning/worry for the Sun Belt

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/3/2.he-bottom-line

According to the link, it has hurt the MAC. It's the part that's a warning/worry for the Sun Belt
    People complain about the midweek games but it's a necessary evil to be able to watch your team on TV across all sports Did anyone watch the Memphis and Navy game place was packed on a weekday

5. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    People complain about the midweek games but it's a necessary evil to be able to watch your team on TV across all sports.
    That is the sales pitch.

There are other untried models

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    People complain about the midweek games but it's a necessary evil to be able to watch your team on TV across all sports Did anyone watch the Memphis and Navy game place was packed on a weekday
    if I might rebuttal respectfully, Lannister; the Memphis/Navy game was Thursday night slot which may have accounted for their attendance. The closer you schedule to the weekend, the better. Unless it is a ranked vs ranked matchup, then I doubt the day of the week will matter.

The disruption in being able to "watch" your team is well under way and over the next decade will change the landscape drastically.

I believe that you will see a lot more content being "self produced". Traditional televison will be dead in the next 10-15 years.

Today it isn't uncommon to be able to watch a 12 year olds baseball game online live.

I'll give you an example of just how incredibly far things have progressed for sports video. For soccer there is a company called Trace ( traceup.com ) that has a video training/review system that is now in use and being utilized by major league teams all the way down to youth travel teams. You can get all the equipment and 30 games filmed and analyzed for $3300.00

It uses a robot camera (extended height tripod mount), sensors worn by players, and AI to automatically film the game and create clips for every player. These clips are automatically generated by the software and sent out as a report to coaches and players. It is very detailed and is done with no human intervention other than setting up the tripod camera system.

The point is that it is getting incredibly easy and inexpensive to create high level video/online content for live sporting events. Definitely a market disruption. Now whether or not that is a good or bad thing is yet to be seen.

Quote Originally Posted by Grantvb View Post
    if I might rebuttal respectfully, Lannister; the Memphis/Navy game was Thursday night slot which may have accounted for their attendance. The closer you schedule to the weekend, the better. Unless it is a ranked vs ranked matchup, then I doubt the day of the week will matter.
    I disagree a Friday night game would have far less people than a Wednesday night game in the south

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post
    The disruption in being able to "watch" your team is well under way and over the next decade will change the landscape drastically.

I believe that you will see a lot more content being "self produced". Traditional televison will be dead in the next 10-15 years.

Today it isn't uncommon to be able to watch a 12 year olds baseball game online live.

I'll give you an example of just how incredibly far things have progressed for sports video. For soccer there is a company called Trace ( traceup.com ) that has a video training/review system that is now in use and being utilized by major league teams all the way down to youth travel teams. You can get all the equipment and 30 games filmed and analyzed for $3300.00

It uses a robot camera (extended height tripod mount), sensors worn by players, and AI to automatically film the game and create clips for every player. These clips are automatically generated by the software and sent out as a report to coaches and players. It is very detailed and is done with no human intervention other than setting up the tripod camera system.

The point is that it is getting incredibly easy and inexpensive to create high level video/online content for live sporting events. Definitely a market disruption. Now whether or not that is a good or bad thing is yet to be seen.
    That's freaking awesome technologyand so simple.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajun90 View Post

Maybe I’m missing your point but i find it very hard to believe that Espn and the National networks won’t be showing college football and basketball every weekend and every weeknight for hoops in 15 years

11. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

&

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Maybe I’m missing your point but i find it very hard to believe that Espn and the National networks won’t be showing college football and basketball every weekend and every weeknight for hoops in 15 years
    Here is the dealwe need to go all out as a communitymake it a BIG DEALcall off school at 12 and let employees off early let all elem, mid, and high school students in for $1-$5 bucks.getting the picture?

No here's the deal. If you are an elite team in the belt and have to play one or two week night games then you get some ----ing priority to have the best available Saturday for a home game in OCTOBER! Instead of 3 in November with 2 of those encompassing Thanksgiving. Are you listening sun belt? Change it or Lose it!!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I don't think "mass television" has the positive effect it once did.

You can (in theory) own your own broadcast these days (the technology is there) and still get "mass television" with road games.
    In a world where there is no ESPN contract, there are a multitude of options for getting our product on TV/internet that do not require the midweek BS.

The best solution is to make a new conference ASAP.

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Just look at ESPN's business model. They are cutting cost wherever they can. Attendance is down across the board at all sports events. The "reason" that the networks and ESPN have been successful is because they have historically been the only ones with the capabilities to produce and distribute the content.

That is no longer true. For example; I was at a soccer game out of town last night and two friends sitting next to me were watching LCA and another game on their phones. I've watched club soccer games livve in high def multiple times. The point is that it is easy and inexpensive to produce video content in this day and age and it will only get better over time. And I believe that the value of that ESPN "exposure" is going to become less and less of a positive moving forward.

Page 13 of 13 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13

Thread Information