Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

1. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Having read Adidas numbers has anyone yet seen the ESPN numbers? It's been 18 months, seems like they would have leaked by now.

Interesting "MAC verdict" quote/warning from this article: https://swcroundup.com/news/2018/3/2.he-bottom-line

"The Sun Belt can't allow ESPN to do to it, what ESPN did to the MAC, relegating games to weekdays, destroying attendance, and marginalizing the product."

Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    I think the point is it would be nice if they stopped putting our potential big games on work nights. If we go into that game 4-1 and it would be on a Saturday night we would have had a large crowd that could have kickstarted a turnaround in attendance from the non die hard fans. I hate these weeknight games.
    Yeah, I am driving down from Fort Worth for the game. I would have loved to have brought a couple of my grandsons to the game, but they have homework to do and their bedtime on school nights will not allow it. We have griped about weekday games for years, so I don't think anything will change.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    Yeah, I am driving down from Fort Worth for the game. I would have loved to have brought a couple of my grandsons to the game, but they have homework to do and their bedtime on school nights will not allow it. We have griped about weekday games for years, so I don't think anything will change.
    Alabama and Texas can't change TV times We have no chance in hell

4. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    That is not what the tiguah's say!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by CharlieK View Post
    Oh I know. It's that thinking that is killing attendance. Seems like a long term bad business move.
    It is a bad, long term business move.

If we were to beat GeoSou and play App the following Saturday, we would have 30k in Cajun Field. THAT is building your brand where it matters most.in your own footprint.

6. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Only a team that could earn more money from consistent Saturday attendance could afford to walk away from midweek games.

Alabama can't afford to walk away from $40 million.

I'm trying to find the actual financial benefit to Sun Belt schools from this package.

We will still have a large crowd of we win Saturday. But yes, we need to find a way to get back to Saturday Night in THE Swamp.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunNation View Post
    It is a bad, long term business move.

If we were to beat GeoSou and play App the following Saturday, we would have 30k in Cajun Field. THAT is building your brand where it matters most.in your own footprint.
    Espn only cares about their business not ours.

9. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Only a team that could earn more money from consistent Saturday attendance could afford to walk away from midweek games.

Alabama can't afford to walk away from $40 million.

I'm trying to find the actual financial benefit to Sun Belt schools from this package.
    Not only is this an attendance killer, it’s in a bad week. Every year these midweek SBC games are marketed during MLB playoffs. So many casual fans are going to the MLB games.

10. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Not only is this an attendance killer, it’s in a bad week. Every year these midweek SBC games are marketed during MLB playoffs. So many casual fans are going to the MLB games.
    This is the game ESPN wants. ESPN gets what ESPN wants.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    .and it is time for the SBC to tell ESPN to pound sand.

12. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

Don't disagree, but all this bickering while under contract is utterly useless.

13. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

They want program filler content for free.

They are in constant search of the very best filler programing.

14. Default Re: Sunbelt/ESPN deal

It’s UL & App State now, but the SBC is always in this bad two weeks. Beggers can’t be choosers.

Someone posted recently that the league’s contract with ESPN goes to 2028. Agree week night games are terrible for home attendance but this is a situation in which we have absolutely no influence for the time being. We need to work with ESPN to adjust the situation so as weeknight games are limited to 2 per year per team.

Page 11 of 13 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 LastLast

Thread Information