Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread: Bb Final: Louisiana 2, Nicholls 1

Default Re: Bb Final: Louisiana 2, Nicholls 1

Quote Originally Posted by ragincajun10 View Post
    You sound like someone who wasn't at the game last night. I'm here to tell you, there was 4,900 actual butts in the seats and the place was absolutely packed.

Nobody is quitting on this team and fans are still showing up in droves. Quit with the lies about "not enough people care anymore."
    I was talking about the basketball game. Someone said they were going to skip the baseball in Houston on Saturday to be at the Dome to watch Senior Night. My comment was meant to compliment him but throw out the caveat that not enough people care about basketball anymore to reach the attendance of the old days. Sorry for bringing that up in a baseball thread. I know many have gravitated to that sport in recent years due to post season success.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    I was talking about the basketball game. Someone said they were going to skip the baseball in Houston on Saturday to be at the Dome to watch Senior Night. My comment was meant to compliment him but throw out the caveat that not enough people care about basketball anymore to reach the attendance of the old days. Sorry for bringing that up in a baseball thread. I know many have gravitated to that sport in recent years due to post season success.
    If things keep on like they are, maybe more might start following Basketball.

MY 2 cents (FWIW) I think Coach Robe needs to make a decision. Does he want to coach college baseball or does he want to preach. Don't get me wrong, I love how he handles the young men while they are here. They definitely, leave better people then what they were when they got here. But on field performance has suffered these past several years and something is definitely wrong or something has changed. For sure 2 and 2 are not adding up to 4 on the baseball team. I used to enjoy listening to the games while working in my yard, it's not that way any more.

These are our records for the past 5 years
    43-20
    58-10
    42-23
    43-21
    35-21
    If you look at Robes career the 58-10 was a huge outlier. What we have done since Bab took over day to day duties is have the most successful 5 year fun in our history. If you look further you will see Robe coached teams have had 7 seasons with 30 or fewer wins. Even when you take out the first two years when he had to completely rebuild the program, he still had 7 seasons worse than last year. Yes we are struggling at the plate but it is way to early to say we are in decline or that we have a coach who is not 100% committed. Just a little perspective.

4. Default Re: Bb Final: Louisiana 2, Nicholls 1

Quote Originally Posted by Rougarou View Post
    Interesting story. In 2013, when Deggs first came on, he told Robe to "keep that guy away from my hitters". The person he was speaking of was Bab.
    Multiple voices should be avoided at all cost.

A singular message is crucial.

Split learning time between bunting and hitting can have a similar confusing result.

There are no perfect answers.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    43-20
    58-10
    42-23
    43-21
    35-21
    If you look at Robes career the 58-10 was a huge outlier. What we have done since Bab took over day to day duties is have the most successful 5 year fun in our history. If you look further you will see Robe coached teams have had 7 seasons with 30 or fewer wins. Even when you take out the first two years when he had to completely rebuild the program, he still had 7 seasons worse than last year. Yes we are struggling at the plate but it is way to early to say we are in decline or that we have a coach who is not 100% committed. Just a little perspective.
    Small sample size yields poor perspective.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    43-20
    58-10
    42-23
    43-21
    35-21
    What is your history with baseball? Honest question.

Simply pointing to record does not tell the story of hitting trends. We have declined in almost every measurable statistic the last 3 years. I agree that it’s early and baseball is a funny game, but you can’t possibly say that this team is showing signs of being an improved offense.

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Small sample size yields poor perspective.
    I counter with Malcolm Gladwell's book Blink.
    It shats all over the notion of large sample size and even lays out a compelling case as to why small sample sizes can actually be more accurate when judging things. Initial eye test, instinct, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    I counter with Malcolm Gladwell’s book Blink.
    It shats all over the notion of large sample size and even lays out a compelling case as to why small sample sizes can actually be more accurate when judging things. Initial eye test, instinct, etc.
    As a former auditor, a small sample is only valid when it is representative of the entire sample.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    What is your history with baseball? Honest question.

Simply pointing to record does not tell the story of hitting trends. We have declined in almost every measurable statistic the last 3 years. I agree that it’s early and baseball is a funny game, but you can’t possibly say that this team is showing signs of being an improved offense.
    Did I say we are showing signs? We are showing nothing on offense. I am just pointing out historical trends. I have followed UL baseball since 88 and am probably more critical than most fans. I Just know that we have a well respected program that can compete with the elite of college baseball year in and year out. What else could we ask for and what other men’s program can we say that about? If football or basketball were even close to as good as baseball everyone here would be spooging on themselves. Yes, the lack of hitting is becoming a trend, but history has told us that Robe can right the ship. Looking forward to this weekend!!

Quote Originally Posted by HelmutVII View Post
    If things keep on like they are, maybe more might start following Basketball.

MY 2 cents (FWIW) I think Coach Robe needs to make a decision. Does he want to coach college baseball or does he want to preach. Don't get me wrong, I love how he handles the young men while they are here. They definitely, leave better people then what they were when they got here. But on field performance has suffered these past several years and something is definitely wrong or something has changed. For sure 2 and 2 are not adding up to 4 on the baseball team. I used to enjoy listening to the games while working in my yard, it's not that way any more.
    The basketball team deserves more support regardless of what baseball does. I heard some people at basketball tonight who also have baseball tickets comment they won't go as frequently until some hits come off the bat. Baseball still has a long way to go. Too early to write them off. However the concern is valid.

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    Wait a cotton picking minute, I thought we were a small school that has no chance against the big boys? Which is it? Or are you just trying to play the part?
    Basketball this year has equaled the good baseball years. Regular season wise at least. Of course to really be noticed they have to go dancing and win a game. They also have to have multiple strong years like baseball has had for people to become regular supporters again. Baseball went to Super Regionals in 14 and 15 along with regional finals in 16. That is why they have more of a following now than any other sport. It is more difficult to have post season success in basketball as at large bids are not really available to southern mid majors and half the country has little focus on baseball due to the weather.

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst . 6 7 8 9

Thread Information