Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread: Cajun Corner "Baseball 2018"

1. Default Re: Cajun Corner "Baseball 2018"

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Lochridge didn't hit at LSU either.

Hopefully we'll see Fontenot back at dh this weekend. Stover doesn't hit much but he's a plus plus defender at 1B.

(LSU) Lochridge .229 12-10 35 10 8 3 0 2 10 17 .486 4 2 9 0 .318 3 0 0-0

Hunter
    .230 46-46 183 22 42 8 3 3 31 65 .355 7 8 36 0 .285 2

As a freshman Lockridge hit as well at LSU as Kasuls is hitting now (average) and 5 of his 10 hits were for extra bases (2 HR and 3 doubles) with a slugging % 130 points higher and OB percentage of 30 points higher.

I say give him another chance.

Default Re: Cajun Corner "Baseball 2018"

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    (LSU) Lochridge .229 12-10 35 10 8 3 0 2 10 17 .486 4 2 9 0 .318 3 0 0-0

Hunter
    .230 46-46 183 22 42 8 3 3 31 65 .355 7 8 36 0 .285 2

As a freshman Lockridge hit as well at LSU as Kasuls is hitting now (average) and 5 of his 10 hits were for extra bases (2 HR and 3 doubles) with a slugging % 130 points higher and OB percentage of 30 points higher.

I say give him another chance.
    And that's fair.

But I'm still going with Fontenot at DH and Stover at 1B.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Oh, I agree, but it isn't any worse than any of the others that have been inserted in that role. What I don't understand is why is Tony not at least giving him a chance like he is the others. Unless his back is really bothering him, I can't figure it out.
    I don’t think you can say Tony hasn’t given people chances. They have tried everyone and no one has seized the opportunity. 32 abs is more chances than anyone hitting 125 can reasonably expect at a legit d1 program

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    I don't think you can say Tony hasn't given people chances. They have tried everyone and no one has seized the opportunity. 32 abs is more chances than anyone hitting 125 can reasonably expect at a legit d1 program
    How is he even on the team? Was he hitting everything thrown at him last fall and now he can't win a sorority house pillow fight? WTF. Can you imagine the scrubs they actually cut?

How have we turned into the absolute worst assessors and coaches of offensive talent ever, except MAYBE St. Peters.?

Well I think we underestimate the pressure these hitters went threw the first month of the season. If u listened to Lahare on Robes show the other night he made mention of how rough it was because everyone was struggling at one time. We all know hitting is more mental than physical. And when you have 7,8,9 guys all struggling at oncethe best coach in the world can’t fix that. A lineup with one or two guys in the tank is fixable. And entire line up struggling.there is a whole lot of looking around for the answers. And that’s where the pressure begins to build.

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Well I think we underestimate the pressure these hitters went threw the first month of the season. If u listened to Lahare on Robes show the other night he made mention of how rough it was because everyone was struggling at one time. We all know hitting is more mental than physical. And when you have 7,8,9 guys all struggling at oncethe best coach in the world can't fix that. A lineup with one or two guys in the tank is fixable. And entire line up struggling.there is a whole lot of looking around for the answers. And that's where the pressure begins to build.
    So they are all tulips. Wonderful. They didn't volunteer for combat in eastern Afghanistan, like John Coker. It's a baseball game.

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    So they are all tulips. Wonderful. They didn't volunteer for combat in eastern Afghanistan. It's a baseball game.
    Im not disagreeing about that. But everyone we inserted in the lineup at every position we were looking for answers basically failed. So we are playing with guys that are the lesser of two evils

Quote Originally Posted by lifetimecajun View Post
    Im not disagreeing about that. But everyone we inserted in the lineup at every position we were looking for answers basically failed. So we are playing with guys that are the lesser of two evils
    Then, we have a recruiting problem. It's either that or a coaching issue.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Then, we have a recruiting problem. It's either that or a coaching issue.
    Or both.

At this point, with everything this team has been through, whatever happens.happens.

I can see it going either of these ways:

-Team finishes poorly and gets booted from the conference tournament early

-Team goes on a good run to finish the season AND makes a strong showing in the tournament which gets them a postseason regional bid. And who knows what can happen from there. Fresno State was in that same position in 2008, and ended the season as National Champions. Crazier things have happened.

At this point, with everything this team has been through, whatever happens.happens.

-Team goes on a good run to finish the season AND makes a strong showing in the tournament which gets them a postseason regional bid. And who knows what can happen from there. Fresno State was in that same position in 2008, and ended the season as National Champions. Crazier things have happened.
    Anything and can, and sometimes does happen in amateur baseball. Not sure more pressure is the answer we have been looking for. The second half run is sweet, but I prefer to take the rest of the season one game at a time.

Funny you bring up Fresno St. I was thinking a lot about that team earlier this year in hopes that our hitting would turn it around somewhat. After reading your post, I did some research and found Fresno's stats for that year. Team BA - .300; OBP - .393; SLG - .452; HR - 84
    They had 5 guys in the lineup that hit .300 or better, but the big number is the 84 HR's. 4 guys had double digit HR's with 3 guys at 6 or better. While we have guys that visually look as though they can hit it a mile, their mechanics and approach tell a much different story.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    I like the possibility of Lochridge, but he was hitting 0.125 in 32 AB's.
    He’s had 32 AB’s in 17 games. That’s less than 2 a game. And then only 17 games. So he was getting 3 or 4 at bats a week, max. I’d expect more than .125 but you can’t expect much better than .250 with that type of inconsistent playing time. IMO.

Fun fact - the major league ph batting average last year was .216 w/STL hitting exactly .300 as the highest of all teams.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Funny you bring up Fresno St. I was thinking a lot about that team earlier this year in hopes that our hitting would turn it around somewhat. After reading your post, I did some research and found Fresno's stats for that year. Team BA - .300; OBP - .393; SLG - .452; HR - 84
    They had 5 guys in the lineup that hit .300 or better, but the big number is the 84 HR's. 4 guys had double digit HR's with 3 guys at 6 or better. While we have guys that visually look as though they can hit it a mile, their mechanics and approach tell a much different story.
    Yeah, it's safe to say that their team was light years ahead of ours with their bats.

What's funny is that their team barely made it to the conference tournament, won that. Then, they got into the Long Beach regional as a #4 seed, won that, took the last two out of three against Arizona State in the Tempe Super Regional, before going on that run in Omaha.

Their regular season record29-27

Bil's thread here has really taken off.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 LastLast

Thread Information