Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Our staff is going to err on the side of caution with Miller. But if he is cleared, he will play. Stalcup will see more minutes on Saturday because of the matchup with Alabakas. That won't have anything to do with Miller's situation.

Don't think for one second our game with Monroe will be anything like the one in Lafayette. These guys play very well at home. We will have our hands full. We will need Miller.

2. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

I think our depth will show during the conference tournament, specifically if we are the #1 seed. The reason for this is we go 8 strong if every one is healthy, but we can get quality minutes from Stalcup, Davis and Hardy if need be. We will get 2 byes, I think if we are the #1 seed, meaning our first game will be against teams that have either be playing their second or possibly third game when they face us. The reality is that on many teams in the SBC Hardy, Davis and Stalcup would get a ton of regular season minutes. Since we are playing 2 games a week at most, I don't think we need to use our 9/10/11 ranked players that much. But if we have to play 2 or 3 games in 3 days, then that would be when we would want to see the depth. I think while we are playing the Thursday/Saturday schedule we are 8 deep. 5 starters, Stove, Miller and Russell, then we have the ability to get a few minutes based on matchups with Davis, Hardy, Stalcup as well as even throwing Broussard into the mix. The other disappointing issue is Kadavion Evans, I am pretty sure when signed the expectation was that he was going to be able to contribute.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginDave View Post
    I think our depth will show during the conference tournament, specifically if we are the #1 seed. The reason for this is we go 8 strong if every one is healthy, but we can get quality minutes from Stalcup, Davis and Hardy if need be. We will get 2 byes, I think if we are the #1 seed, meaning our first game will be against teams that have either be playing their second or possibly third game when they face us. The reality is that on many teams in the SBC Hardy, Davis and Stalcup would get a ton of regular season minutes. Since we are playing 2 games a week at most, I don't think we need to use our 9/10/11 ranked players that much. But if we have to play 2 or 3 games in 3 days, then that would be when we would want to see the depth. I think while we are playing the Thursday/Saturday schedule we are 8 deep. 5 starters, Stove, Miller and Russell, then we have the ability to get a few minutes based on matchups with Davis, Hardy, Stalcup as well as even throwing Broussard into the mix. The other disappointing issue is Kadavion Evans, I am pretty sure when signed the expectation was that he was going to be able to contribute.
    There is no double bye anymore. That changed last year.

Top four teams get byes into the quarters. All 12 teams qualify for the tournament.

4. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post

Top four teams get byes into the quarters. All 12 teams qualify for the tournament.
    My bad, but even so becomes more important. With us playing multiple games in multiple days, the fact that we can possibly go 10 deep gets even more critical.

5. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

"Everybody gets a trophy" comes home to roost.

Clemson just beat North Carolina, hopefully that will help us a good bit.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    "Everybody gets a trophy" comes home to roost.
    Wrong.

The reason they're taking all 12 now is because the schedules aren't balanced. If you took the top eight, there are some that wouldn't qualify who had to play the best teams twice, while a team above them only played them once.

I've gone to a lot of conference tournaments. I like the all inclusive better.

8. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Wrong.

The reason they're taking all 12 now is because the schedules aren't balanced. If you took the top eight, there are some that wouldn't qualify who had to play the best teams twice, while a team above them only played them once.

I've gone to a lot of conference tournaments. I like the all inclusive better.
    Everybody gets a trophy because of Sun Belt inadequacy.

Regular season malfunctions do not justify a complete (yet stacked) reset.

9. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Can you imagine the NFL letting everyone into the playoffs because a certain division had the best teams and the bottom of the division had to play them twice?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Can you imagine the NFL letting everyone into the playoffs because a certain division had the best teams and the bottom of the division had to play them twice?
    Reason for all teams going to tourney is that it gives teams something to play for late in the season. Each team tries to improve where they hope to be playing best ball in March. Otherwise, many would pack it in and just go through the motions once they are out of it. For some that would start in late January. At least regular season winner now gets NIT if they stumble in conference tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    Clemson just beat North Carolina, hopefully that will help us a good bit.
    Nope, moved down 1 to 56.

We're only half way home at 9-0. There is a lot of ball left to play, and the back half of the schedule is much harder. I'm not even taking this Saturday for granted.

12. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Nope we actually moved up last night from 55 to 54.

My opinion is that we are looking too much at tournament wins and sweet 16. Obviously those things should be goals but the biggest thing that needs to be accomplished is building a consistent winner. Little Rock had their tournament win and where are they now? We need to have the consistency of being able to make tournament and NIT trips. That will be when we are able to start taking those big next steps.

Quote Originally Posted by Clutch0364 View Post
    My opinion is that we are looking too much at tournament wins and sweet 16. Obviously those things should be goals but the biggest thing that needs to be accomplished is building a consistent winner. Little Rock had their tournament win and where are they now? We need to have the consistency of being able to make tournament and NIT trips. That will be when we are able to start taking those big next steps.
    Marlin last 3 classes have been pretty good hopefull we keep building on that

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Marlin last 3 classes have been pretty good hopefull we keep building on that
    I agree. This season is great but I am excited about the next few years with 3 starters returning and a solid recruiting class coming in.

Page 13 of 15 FirstFirst . 3 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

Thread Information