Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Default Re: MBB Game ON: Louisiana vs. Troy

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Coach Marlin agrees we have to be better to have success in post season. The turnovers are a concern as well as not finishing near the rim. Defensively we gave up too many baskets on straight line drives to the goal today. However, there were also lots of positives today. The contribution off the bench by Stove today was instrumental. I don't know if anyone in the league has a complete player as their sixth man as we do. He even made three straight layups. Despite the turnovers in the first half we had only four in the second and forced 20 by the Trojans. When the threes were not falling, we drove the ball to the lane and got the opposition in foul trouble where we cashed in. Looking at Thursday vs Saturday we note that two different guys had the hot hand and we fed that guy. As far as the no. of threes we take goes, the following point is one that needs to be paid attention to. We take lots of threes by design. Our staff has bought into the NBA analytical data indicating the mid range shot is of poor value. Therefore don't expect that to change. Even though we were only average there today overall, virtually all of the three balls were clean looks. What made it look worse is that we did not get as many offensive rebounds as usual. Personally I would like to see more mid range shots as I don't think we would get as many charges and we could get some free as close as five feet away.
    We also have guys who can make the three. I'm not a huge fan of shooting 25-30+ 3's per game but if you hit the glass well, you can really be effective. We have to do a better job of hitting the boards to make that philosophy effective. I agree that I'd like to take more mid range shots when they present themselves. A good shot is a good shot and they are always made at a higher percentage than just shooting deep shots and layups when they are not always well presented.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    And by no means are my comments meant to disparage or minimize anything this team is accomplishing. I’m all in.

I just get frustrated when we play like that. Projecting ahead, we can’t make these mistakes and go on these prolonged scoring droughts. We will not be able to compete with good teams that way. For those that are happy running through the SBC (not you Mike), I’m sorry my comments offend you. For the rest of us that want to do something special in March, these are points to be aware of.

I agree, there was plenty to be positive about yesterday. I just know these guys are capabale or playing a complete game, a next level of Cohesion and organizational offense. Taking care of the ball, not reaching in stupidly. I know what these guys are capable of and it’s frustrating to keep watching and waiting for that complete game we all know is coming.

That said, I’m ready to see how it shakes out.
    Same here. I do get frustrated with poor execution for periods of time but in many ways, all teams do this. What I like most about this team is that it knows how to win. They will do it in different ways on different nights. I also like how this team is able to just overwhelm the opponent over a 40 minute game. Every conference win has been in double digits and regardless of the conference strength, this is pretty impressive.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We may have to get to the Sweet 16 two consecutive years and start strong the following season to get over 6000 when conference play starts. I know MAT disagrees with me but people don't care about basketball in the south. Others say that we need to do something special for people to notice. That won't happen in the regular season. We need to get to NCAA tourney and have success for people to notice. I have noticed that we are not the only school to have this issue. College basketball attendance is down at most places. Of course that is not true for the TV conferences major powers. However it is down at about 200 places. We are better off than most. The focus on the NCAA tournament is one reason why. All that being said, there are some folks planning to go to Monroe. Hopefully some of you can make it as well.
    I am planning on going to New Orleans!

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Both correct. WAS 55, now 58. Nice to watch, won’t matter.
    It might. If the incredible happens and the Cajuns win out, that selection rpi ranking might be the difference between an 11 or 12 seed and a 13 or 14.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I don't recall a game where I saw so many late calls. The ball would almost be going down the court the other way and the ref would make a call. Its as if they were waiting to see if it would go in and decide to call a foul if he missed it. The dark haired ref was a toolbag. That guy was more worried about how he looked running down the court than seeing the action and being where he was supposed to be.
    I had not lost my s in years at a game until the second half when Stove clearly had the ball off a steal AND bounced the ball at least once down court and the shot clock went off and the jack ars blew the whistle. Take a note from soccer refs and learn the phrase "play on".

Quote Originally Posted by lcitsh View Post
    It might. If the incredible happens and the Cajuns win out, that selection rpi ranking might be the difference between an 11 or 12 seed and a 13 or 14.
    That will take care of itself, only if we win the tournament. We win the regular season and the tournament, we are not a play in team. But everyone else in our conference is.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    I had not lost my s in years at a game until the second half when Stove clearly had the ball off a steal AND bounced the ball at least once down court and the shot clock went off and the jack ars blew the whistle. Take a note from soccer refs and learn the phrase "play on".

That will take care of itself, only if we win the tournament. We win the regular season and the tournament, we are not a play in team. But everyone else in our conference is.
    That was unbelievable. We had clear possession of the ball. The horn should sound and there should be no stoppage of play. I couldn't believe they made that call.

7. UL Basketball Re: MBB Game ON: Louisiana vs. Troy

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    We played 7 guys. That's not a sign of much depth.
    We’re missing Miller due to injury.

Honestly we’ve got 8 guys who,when healthy are all first stringers. Not only that but I’m never afraid of anyone taking a three except Washington who’d only take a three for shot clock issues.

That’s pretty damed deep.

8. UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    It is not mandatory to make a purchase at the concession stand to watch basketball!
    Nothing is mandatory, but concessions, especially for kids is part of the experience. To dismiss predatory pricing as a fan problem actually ignores opportunities to grow the fan and revenue stream for UL and the dome.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    We’re missing Miller due to injury.

Honestly we’ve got 8 guys who,when healthy are all first stringers. Not only that but I’m never afraid of anyone taking a three except Washington who’d only take a three for shot clock issues.

That’s pretty damed deep.
    Miller could be back against ULM if he’s cleared this week

10. UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Most everyone here knows that. The point of my post is when Miller is in we've got 8 players who would be solid starters on every team in the SBC. That's a DEEP team.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunGrad16 View Post
    Miller could be back against ULM if he’s cleared this week
    I think I'd hold him out against ULM and give him an extra week to get right. Give Stalcup those minutes against ULM

12. UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 81, Troy 69

Probably doesn't need the time, probably didn't need any time off. We're into the concussions era. In my day most of the time it was getting your bell rung. You'd be back in the next series. During the fall I'd get my bell rung at least once a year just playing rough and tumble.

I'm all for protecting the players from themselves, but basketball isn't football, or boxing. He's fine to go.

Oh okay, yeah you are right about that

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I think I'd hold him out against ULM and give him an extra week to get right. Give Stalcup those minutes against ULM
    Yeah that would be a good idea

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Probably doesn't need the time, probably didn't need any time off. We're into the concussions era. In my day most of the time it was getting your bell rung. You'd be back in the next series. During the fall I'd get my bell rung at least once a year just playing rough and tumble.

I'm all for protecting the players from themselves, but basketball isn't football, or boxing. He's fine to go.
    And now all of us here at RP are having to put up with those consequences.Ha!

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst . 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 . LastLast

Thread Information