Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Student section

UL Basketball Basketball Student section

A friend asked me at the last home game where the student section was. I could not give him an answer They need to think out of the box and come up with something like GCU 'Havoc's'. http://ftw.usatoday.com/2017/02/gran.cs-dan-majerle

Default Re: Student section

sorry, but the university can't create the atmosphere that GCU has. it has to originate from the students. the passion has to come from the students themselves. the student section at the dome is behind the goal on the visitors side of the court, next to the pep band.

The student section will never be what it could be for 4 simple reasons.
    1. It’s in a terrible spot. There is a proximity problem. No real way to impact game.
    2. When they do get going, the “security” shuts em down. Happened a few times this year that I saw. Could only imagine what they would have done when we were students.
    3. Marketing to the student body is bad at best and largely non existent.
    4. They have been priced out of the game experience. Yeah yeah, “they get in free.” But once inside, there’s nothing for them. $13 dollar beer? Good luck. $10 burger? Not on college budget. Hell, $4 bag of candy!
    I understand that you have to pay back the cost of renovations, but you have to get the student body there and involved. And not all them have to go. Start with the dorm livers. Flood the dorms with info about the game. Have buses run them to the game and back. Dedicate a ballroom or 2 to student refreshments. Only students get in. Give them a shirt and a paper of interesting info on the opposition.
    This ain’t rocket science!

People keep _____ing about beer prices, Im not sure if anyone has been out lately but a bottled 12oz. is between 4-5 bucks at a club. 10 bucks for a 32oz beer is not expensive. Now the food I have to agree.

People keep b**ching about beer prices, Im not sure if anyone has been out lately but a bottled 12oz. is between 4-5 bucks at a club. 10 bucks for a 32oz beer is not expensive. Now the food I have to agree.

The student section has been dead for at least 10 years. When i was a student, it was basically me ane a few other students that really got into the game. Students use it as more of a social thing

7. Default Re: Student section

Quote Originally Posted by Derfdog View Post
    The student section will never be what it could be for 4 simple reasons.
    1. It’s in a terrible spot. There is a proximity problem. No real way to impact game.
    2. When they do get going, the “security” shuts em down. Happened a few times this year that I saw. Could only imagine what they would have done when we were students.
    3. Marketing to the student body is bad at best and largely non existent.
    4. They have been priced out of the game experience. Yeah yeah, “they get in free.” But once inside, there’s nothing for them. $13 dollar beer? Good luck. $10 burger? Not on college budget. Hell, $4 bag of candy!
    I understand that you have to pay back the cost of renovations, but you have to get the student body there and involved. And not all them have to go. Start with the dorm livers. Flood the dorms with info about the game. Have buses run them to the game and back. Dedicate a ballroom or 2 to student refreshments. Only students get in. Give them a shirt and a paper of interesting info on the opposition.
    This ain’t rocket science!
    I agree with all of your post, which is to say I disagree with everything about how they are currently handling students. It adds up to a huge keep out sign.

It can be fixed.

Besides being behind the opponents bench my solution would be a mandatory $500 per semester event subsidy fee that they could earn back in tuition credits based on how many events they attend, coupled with half off at the concession stand.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    People keep _____ing about beer prices, Im not sure if anyone has been out lately but a bottled 12oz. is between 4-5 bucks at a club. 10 bucks for a 32oz beer is not expensive. Now the food I have to agree.
    I totally agree with you that the concession prices at the Cajundome are really outrageous. What I've never understood is why people have to eat and drink at a game for a couple of hours. Just eat at home before you go and save your money.

Students showed up last home game and I'd the momentum keeps building I think they will keep showing up. That is the first key to the puzzle of getting them more involved during game.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I totally agree with you that the concession prices at the Cajundome are really outrageous. What I've never understood is why people have to eat and drink at a game for a couple of hours. Just eat at home before you go and save your money.
    Need to do like at football have a student menu with classes back in session thursday students section will be strong

Stop already.

Having the student section in the visiting end zone is done by more schools than not. You aren't getting center court seats.

If you learn how to properly harass an opponent, security will tolerate you. If you use vulgarity, they'll be on you every time.

Do NOT suggest nothing is being done to promote. It can and will be better. But it's not like they're being ignored. They're now doing shuttles right to the front door. And, there are student promotions planned.

Students that attend need to do a better job of selling it as well.

12. Default Re: Student section

You will know when there is sufficient student promotion . the general public will be aware.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Stop already.

Having the student section in the visiting end zone is done by more schools than not. You aren't getting center court seats.

If you learn how to properly harass an opponent, security will tolerate you. If you use vulgarity, they'll be on you every time.

Do NOT suggest nothing is being done to promote. It can and will be better. But it's not like they're being ignored. They're now doing shuttles right to the front door. And, there are student promotions planned.

Students that attend need to do a better job of selling it as well.
    I would be happy if the students that attend now actually get into the game. It's like they pretend to be too cool to cheer. My goodness, make some frickin noise people. Get off of your phones!

I will say it's tough to "really get into a game"'when you're drumming everyone you face.

Why no more UPC student spotlight shot for cash, bring that back and up the ante, make it so kids want to go to get a shot at it.

I refuse to believe that the section factors into a students decision to attend.

Page 1 of 9 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information