Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Student section

Default Re: Student section

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Stop already.

Having the student section in the visiting end zone is done by more schools than not. You aren't getting center court seats.

If you learn how to properly harass an opponent, security will tolerate you. If you use vulgarity, they'll be on you every time.

Do NOT suggest nothing is being done to promote. It can and will be better. But it's not like they're being ignored. They're now doing shuttles right to the front door. And, there are student promotions planned.

Students that attend need to do a better job of selling it as well.
    Good to hear. How about Maggard speaking directly to both the men's and women's frat leaders to encourage them to encourage their members to attend? Just an idea.

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    I will say it's tough to "really get into a game"'when you're drumming everyone you face.
    I for one never had a problem with watching us beat the living crap out of a conference opponent.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I totally agree with you that the concession prices at the Cajundome are really outrageous. What I've never understood is why people have to eat and drink at a game for a couple of hours. Just eat at home before you go and save your money.
    This is the way I feel also. We get a bag of peanuts and share a coke. For a 2 hour game, food is more in the way than helpful. We usually go eat at Deano's after the game. I do think the idea of one of the party rooms being open for students BEFORE the game is a good idea, but it should close before the game starts.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    People keep b**ching about beer prices, Im not sure if anyone has been out lately but a bottled 12oz. is between 4-5 bucks at a club. 10 bucks for a 32oz beer is not expensive. Now the food I have to agree.
    Exactly.a 12 oz BOTTLE is $4.they’re charging $10+ for draft.which is significantly cheaper than bottles.it’s expensive at the dome, point blank.

Quote Originally Posted by Derfdog View Post
    The student section will never be what it could be for 4 simple reasons.
    1. It’s in a terrible spot. There is a proximity problem. No real way to impact game.
    2. When they do get going, the “security” shuts em down. Happened a few times this year that I saw. Could only imagine what they would have done when we were students.
    3. Marketing to the student body is bad at best and largely non existent.
    4. They have been priced out of the game experience. Yeah yeah, “they get in free.” But once inside, there’s nothing for them. $13 dollar beer? Good luck. $10 burger? Not on college budget. Hell, $4 bag of candy!
    I understand that you have to pay back the cost of renovations, but you have to get the student body there and involved. And not all them have to go. Start with the dorm livers. Flood the dorms with info about the game. Have buses run them to the game and back. Dedicate a ballroom or 2 to student refreshments. Only students get in. Give them a shirt and a paper of interesting info on the opposition.
    This ain’t rocket science!
    Except for point 1, I totally agree. And even that I kind of agree with. The spot isn't right behind the visiting bench anymore, but it's in the place most student sections are. And I agree with anhil8or, where they put you isn't really an issue as a student. I would've sat wherever they put us as long as we got in free and got to go to games. But then again, we were always self-motivated to attend.

The concession prices are a huge issue, the beer especially. And no, you don't have to go spend a bunch of money at a game to enjoy the game. Eat, drink, whatever at home before and after. Especially easy to do now with shuttles to the front door. But a) if I'm a student and I know I'm going to be spending $40 on the night, do I go spend that on 2 beers and a hamburger at the game, or do I spend that at, say, Pete's and get a better burger, an incredible shake for dessert, more viewing options, and 4 or 5 beers depending on the specials? and b) you don't HAVE to have it, but having affordable alcohol loosens up the entire crowd, but students especially. Want them engaged and making noise? Make it affordable for them to get loose (while not making it dirt cheap and having a bunch of blackouts).

6. Default Re: Student section

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    I refuse to believe that the section factors into a students decision to attend.
    I Can't prove anything but there was an extremely noticable decrease in student zone rowdiness the season after the move.

For the students that had something to compare. If you are not having as much fun, are you as likely to attend?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I Can't prove anything but there was an extremely noticable decrease in student zone rowdiness the season after the move.

For the students that had something to compare. If you are not having as much fun, are you as likely to attend?
    Turbine, this is complete BS. My senior year in 14 it was just me and basically one other guy getting in opponents heads. The next season, i got season tickets right next to the student section. The student section behind the bench was always empty, they had no one talking to players at all.

They moved the students the year after this

I would guess that at least 1/2 of the student population at UL is under the legal drinking age. They cannot even sell beer to these students, so what is the difference how much it costs?

Surely people of limited means (including students) can go a couple of hours without a beer. This is not why the students do not show up for games.

I think it may also be hard for students to get into games now because of the proliferation of the "safe space" mentality. Too many college kids are worried about offending someone or being offended.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    Exactly.a 12 oz BOTTLE is $4.they’re charging $10+ for draft.which is significantly cheaper than bottles.it’s expensive at the dome, point blank.
    Let me know where a 32oz draft, can, bottle or any other domestic beer is a lot cheaper than $10.

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I would be happy if the students that attend now actually get into the game. It's like they pretend to be too cool to cheer. My goodness, make some frickin noise people. Get off of your phones!
    Speaking of making some noise, Didn’t the Cajundome used to have one of those large noise level sticks and It would light up as the volume would go up? They need something to get people Into the game. I’m one of those that have to yell at every play and feel uncomfortable when I feel like I’m sitting in the library. Yes, it gets very loud at times but it’s very inconsistent.

Quote Originally Posted by leeman View Post
    Speaking of making some noise, Didn't the Cajundome used to have one of those large noise level sticks and It would light up as the volume would go up? They need something to get people Into the game. I'm one of those that have to yell at every play and feel uncomfortable when I feel like I'm sitting in the library. Yes, it gets very loud at times but it's very inconsistent.
    Yeah, I agree. Despite the good attendance the last home game, it was really quiet at times. The best atmosphere we have is still at the Tigue. And with basketball it could get so loud, and they have two of my favorite ul cheers: 'CaaaJUUUUUNS BaaaaaaaaaLLL!!!!' and 'you let your whole team down!!!' Lol.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Let me know where a 32oz draft, can, bottle or any other domestic beer is a lot cheaper than $10.
    I can’t argue further bc I don’t know the exact prices and sizes of beers at the Cajundome because I refuse to pay for what I recall being expensive beer.but I do know that soft drinks are $6 for a small and you can get an xtra large for around 79cents at Circle K.I can’t imagine they’re margins are all that different on 2 fountain/draft style products.

Edit: Very first place I looked up to compare prices: the Tap Room. Draught Bud Light is $3.50 for a pint (16 oz) $10+ for 32oz is a rip off.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I would guess that at least 1/2 of the student population at UL is under the legal drinking age. They cannot even sell beer to these students, so what is the difference how much it costs?

Surely people of limited means (including students) can go a couple of hours without a beer. This is not why the students do not show up for games.
    Of that half, 3/4ths have a fake id!

Quote Originally Posted by HOUCajun View Post
    Of that half, 3/4ths have a fake id!
    Or all you need is 1 friend that can buy for the whole crew.

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 . LastLast

Thread Information