Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: Basketball Student section

Quote Originally Posted by ragin50 View Post
    I totally agree with you that the concession prices at the Cajundome are really outrageous. What I've never understood is why people have to eat and drink at a game for a couple of hours. Just eat at home before you go and save your money.
    And get creative with the alcohol issue.

Default Re: Student section

Pretty simple solution to this.get the pecan police or CD security to stand down, let the rowdyness to insue. Second, for those students under 21, allow for a $5 student dome "feast and flee" special of a refillable drink, refillable popcorn, and a hot dog or nachos.if over 21 the same with a beer option for an additional $5.8 oz draft only, 1 per visit.ain't rocket surgery

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    I can’t argue further bc I don’t know the exact prices and sizes of beers at the Cajundome because I refuse to pay for what I recall being expensive beer.but I do know that soft drinks are $6 for a small and you can get an xtra large for around 79cents at Circle K.I can’t imagine they’re margins are all that different on 2 fountain/draft style products.

Edit: Very first place I looked up to compare prices: the Tap Room. Draught Bud Light is $3.50 for a pint (16 oz) $10+ for 32oz is a rip off.
    Kind of apples and oranges though. People go to bars specifically to drink and occasionally eat, people go to sporting events to watch the sporting event.food and drink are only part of that experience.

4. Default Re: Student section

Concessions are part if the experience. Kids especially love concessions. Clear plastic bags means far less black market candies smuggled into the dome.

Because basketball games are multiple events the prices shouldn’t be like once or twice a year special events. Surely someone could figure out a way to make it pay for everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    Kind of apples and oranges though. People go to bars specifically to drink and occasionally eat, people go to sporting events to watch the sporting event.food and drink are only part of that experience.
    This FPC cat said the beer was cheap at the Cajundome compared to restaurants and bars.that’s not the case based of off 1 search result.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJeaux View Post
    This FPC cat said the beer was cheap at the Cajundome compared to restaurants and bars.that’s not the case based of off 1 search result.
    Go downtown, prices arent that cheap. I work at several bars that our draft is more expensive then that. Most of them or 4-5 bucks for a 16oz. We dont post drink prices online. I know what college kids are willing to pay for alcohol. $10 for a single shot of patron is outrageous,but we get it for it so why not charge it.

Now food on the other hand is expense at the dome, when you can stop at a fast food resturant and get a full meal for 6-8 bucks. We buy the 32oz beers without a question and will continue to do so.

Quote Originally Posted by Derfdog View Post
    The student section will never be what it could be for 4 simple reasons.
    1. It’s in a terrible spot. There is a proximity problem. No real way to impact game.
    2. When they do get going, the “security” shuts em down. Happened a few times this year that I saw. Could only imagine what they would have done when we were students.
    3. Marketing to the student body is bad at best and largely non existent.
    4. They have been priced out of the game experience. Yeah yeah, “they get in free.” But once inside, there’s nothing for them. $13 dollar beer? Good luck. $10 burger? Not on college budget. Hell, $4 bag of candy!
    I understand that you have to pay back the cost of renovations, but you have to get the student body there and involved. And not all them have to go. Start with the dorm livers. Flood the dorms with info about the game. Have buses run them to the game and back. Dedicate a ballroom or 2 to student refreshments. Only students get in. Give them a shirt and a paper of interesting info on the opposition.
    This ain’t rocket science!
    as a student who goes to pretty much every game i can back up pretty much every point here. There is room for improvement

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I Can't prove anything but there was an extremely noticable decrease in student zone rowdiness the season after the move.

For the students that had something to compare. If you are not having as much fun, are you as likely to attend?
    there is a MUCH BIGGER difference sitting behind the visitors bench vs behind the the goal

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin' Caleb View Post
    there is a MUCH BIGGER difference sitting behind the visitors bench vs behind the the goal
    Yes, I wish students still sat behind the bench, but this might be a sunbelt rule now.

10. Default Re: Student section

Absolutely recall that the SBC said they couldn’t be directly behind the bench.

We are arguing over a prefrence which differs from person to person. I have no problem buying a $10 32oz yeungling at a home game. I will however stop and eat somewhere before or after. Personally for me the food is over priced.

Has anybody ever ask or had a survey, asking the students why they either don't or do attend basketball games? We speculate on here why they don't attend and give thoughts on what should be done to entice them to attend. As far as my thoughts on things that can be done, I have none. I have no idea why they don't attend. A student body of 19000+ and maybe 150-200 at the games. Why do some university have students standing in line for 2-3 hours before games? Is it because they live and die for basketball? There is something that draws them to attend. What? Maybe ask the right person, the students. Would it be hard for each professor to hand out a survey in class and ask the questions."What will it take for you to attend each and every game"What would the dome do if 40% of the student body show up for a game?.7600.some of us would have to stay home and listen to Jay

Quote Originally Posted by anhil8tor View Post
    We are arguing over a prefrence which differs from person to person. I have no problem buying a $10 32oz yeungling at a home game. I will however stop and eat somewhere before or after. Personally for me the food is over priced.
    Exactly!

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I Can't prove anything but there was an extremely noticable decrease in student zone rowdiness the season after the move.

For the students that had something to compare. If you are not having as much fun, are you as likely to attend?
    (98 - 04) I sat behind the visitors bench and the student section seemed to always have a decent crowd. We went for 2-3 large beers and the opportunity to harrass the bad guys all game long. We gave the bench hell, were effective, and never got kicked out. We got there early to get the front row. I think that moving the student section was a bad move. Going up on the beer prices does suck for a student when you can pregame at someone's house before going out. The basketball game was pregaming for the night out afterwards.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    I don't know, for our crew all opportunities were for the drink. The cheaper the better

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information