Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread: OT: Bye Bye Common Core.

Default Re: OT: Bye Bye Common Core.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    No. It's called choice. You know, the fundamental principles codified in our Constitution: freedom, liberty, etc.
    You call it choice.a more sane person calls it inviting profit margins into the education of your child. Can't pass the second grade, if you don't pass the Hardee's/Carl's Jr. exit exam.

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    It is easier to build strong children than to repair broken men. ---Frederick Douglass
    “Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice." - Donald Trump

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by CajunRebel View Post
    “Frederick Douglass is an example of somebody who's done an amazing job and is being recognized more and more, I notice." - Donald Trump
    A lot of people are saying .

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    You call it choice.a more sane person calls it inviting profit margins into the education of your child. Can't pass the second grade, if you don't pass the Hardee's/Carl's Jr. exit exam.
    That's what you get with 3 textbook companies that own the tests.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    Well it's not like Common Core moved these states to the top of the list! I think it would be great to get back to teaching kids to simply memorize (anyone ever used flashcards) that 3 + 3 = 6 & 4 x 4 = 16 instead of getting the answer by going to the moon and back. My daughter teaches 1st grade and must teach her kids in a manner that won't even allow me to help my grandkid's with their homework without confusing them or them confusing me! Education in the U.S.A. used to be the best in the world. However, since teaching method's have changed and advanced students have been held back and kept with slower learners and social promotions have been mandated, education has taken a nose dive.

I think a big part of the answer to solving our education problem is quite simple. 1st, determine what students must learn at each grade level AND MAKE THEM PROVE THEY KNOW THE MATERIAL THROUGH "LEGITIMATE" TESTING before being promoted to the next grade (yes, it would be possible to FAIL). 2nd, quit making teachers teach students to pass a standardized test rather than teaching students about the material they need to learn and need to know to pass. 3rd, reinstate stricter discipline in schools at all levels. Students that continually disrupt schools and classes should not be allowed to hold back those that want to learn.

These are not a complete list or what I think should change, but I think it would be a pretty good start. Just my opinion.
    . True that, Duggie

How bout the fact that the WHOLE country has taken an educational dive from Jan 2009 - Jan 2017? Let the teachers use their creativity again to teach our kids. Reintroduce social studies and real history again. The sciences, spelling, reading and English (as two separate subject); less time on the computer until your in late middle school. Build them up.

Reb is absolutely correct in his assessment of where Common Core came from.

It was a creation of the National Governors Association, which at the time and even today, was and is a Republic controlled entity.

https://www.nga.org/cms/home/special.ards-init.html

"The Common Core State Standards Initiative (CCSSI) is a state-led effort to establish a single set of clear educational standards for English-language arts and mathematics that states can share and voluntarily adopt."

Yes, the Obama Administration did tie-in funding to the legislation, but make no mistake, the initiative came from the States and its Governors.

Why do private schools outperform public? Sure some have more money, many don't.

I'm sure there are myriad small reasons that can be pointed to but the main, overriding driver is that the parents are more involved, in general. That's it. If we have a society or a system where people are sending their kids off and expecting them to just come back educated, we will are failing.

I don't know the answer, but it will need to involve forcing real parental involvement in their own kids' education.

Ran into Freddie at Lourdes this weekend. He was going to yoga.

Actually, he told his wife he was going to yoga. He just swiped his card and then went to Dwyers for breakfast. He's a card, I tell you.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Why do private schools outperform public? Sure some have more money, many don't.

I'm sure there are myriad small reasons that can be pointed to but the main, overriding driver is that the parents are more involved, in general. That's it. If we have a society or a system where people are sending their kids off and expecting them to just come back educated, we will are failing.

I don't know the answer, but it will need to involve forcing real parental involvement in their own kids' education.
    That's the same as comparing Football recruits to Baseball recruits. Parent involvement has nothing to do with it, and the cost of entry has everything to do with it. You are dealing with a better group of students in general, due to socioeconomics. Trust me.I went to a private school.most of the parents neglected their kids the same as public schools parents did.they just threw money at the issue instead of asking someone else to fix the issue.

From what I understand the biggest causes of poor school performance are things you can’t fix in a classroom. There is a distinct causal relationship between poor school performance and issues like poverty, broken homes, etc. If you’re a kid living in a poor household, your single mother has to work long hours to make ends meet, or you’re dealing with family issues at home, your schoolwork will obviously suffer.

It shouldn’t surprise anyone that the poorest states in the US also have the worst educational performance. And it shouldn’t surprise anyone that the US, which has more income inequality and higher poverty than almost every other first world country, would also have worse school performance despite spending more money than they do.
    I don't disagree, but wouldn't it make more sense to let those individuals (regardless of circumstances) who are not caught up (or can overcome) in those type of situations to advance at a different pace that leads to bigger and better things, rather than holding them back waiting on the less privileged to attempt to catch up? Then the system could group those that struggle or are slower to learn and implement specialized programs in an "attempt" to assist them as needed.

Regardless of if one is white, black, green, yellow, rich, poor, African, Asian, French or English etc., we are not all equal (regardless if the government tries to make it that way) in the ability to learn and comprehend. One size does not fit all. Never has, never will!

Quote Originally Posted by cajunhawk View Post
    That's the same as comparing Football recruits to Baseball recruits. Parent involvement has nothing to do with it, and the cost of entry has everything to do with it. You are dealing with a better group of students in general, due to socioeconomics. Trust me.I went to a private school.most of the parents neglected their kids the same as public schools parents did.they just threw money at the issue instead of asking someone else to fix the issue.
    Bull____. When parents have skin in the game, IN GENERAL they are more involved. I went to private school and without the parents being extremely involved the lights wouldn't have stayed on. Most of these parents were making tough choices to spend money send their kids thereand they made sure the kids were not wasting it.

Putting skin in the game makes all the difference.

Why do you think those students are better students due to socioeconomics? What MAKES them better? It's the parental involvement. Poor kids with parents who push them and who are involved, will have a much better chance to succeed. That seems almost irrefutable.

I also have to guess that the majority of kids that see their parents get out of bed each morning and head out to work everyday, would tend to have a little more work ethic engrained in their lives than those that don't.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Bull____. When parents have skin in the game, IN GENERAL they are more involved. I went to private school and without the parents being extremely involved the lights wouldn't have stayed on. Most of these parents were making tough choices to spend money send their kids thereand they made sure the kids were not wasting it.

Putting skin in the game makes all the difference.

Why do you think those students are better students due to socioeconomics? What MAKES them better? It's the parental involvement. Poor kids with parents who push them and who are involved, will have a much better chance to succeed. That seems almost irrefutable.
    Parent involvement at home is crucial, especially when you have a child that requires special attention but there are also a lot of parents who are in denial and do not give the child the required help he needs at home and at school. My wife is a first grade teacher at a very good school district in the Houston area. She has a few kids who are not even on Kindergarten level and have major behavior issues. Not only are the parents in denial, the school ties the teacher's hands. she is not allowed to give the kid an F and the kid does not get punished for behavior issues. They will pass the poor kid to 2nd Grade. It only hurts the kid. My wife gets paid relativity well but it is not nearly enough for what they put up with.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunJack55 View Post
    My wife gets paid relativity well but it is not nearly enough for what they put up with.
    AMEN Brother!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 . LastLast

Thread Information