Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Beryl

UL Basketball Remembering Beryl

In 2014 Beryl Shipley was posthumously inducted into the Louisiana Sports Hall of Fame. Beryl died in 2011. In honor of reunion weekend I wanted to share this article by Dan McDonald.
    https://lasportshall.com/?inductees=beryl-shipley

2. UL Basketball Re: Remembering Beryl

I know of no fans of that era that backed the university lack of support. In fact that was a sad day regardless of relative guilt or innocence.

Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Iberia Cajun is Beryl Rouly or Babineaux?

“I asked him what he wanted to do here,” said Tom Cox, a 1965 assistant coach hire who became Shipley’s right-hand man and lifelong friend. “He said he wanted to win it all, and not just the NAIA championship. He wanted to compete in the major college division of the NCAA and beat the country’s best programs.

“I told him we’ve got to do two things … we’ve got to upgrade our schedule, and we’ve got to recruit black players.”

Upgrade the schedule? Haven't I heard that somewhere before?

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    “I asked him what he wanted to do here,” said Tom Cox, a 1965 assistant coach hire who became Shipley’s right-hand man and lifelong friend. “He said he wanted to win it all, and not just the NAIA championship. He wanted to compete in the major college division of the NCAA and beat the country’s best programs.

“I told him we’ve got to do two things … we’ve got to upgrade our schedule, and we’ve got to recruit black players.”

Upgrade the schedule? Haven't I heard that somewhere before?
    I thought that might get someone's attention.

I lived next door to Tom Cox. I remember when he had the players over for a 'get together' at his house. As a 'probably' ten year old kid, I was amazed at the players 'popping' the net from the street on his driveway basketball goal. That was a good memory. I've never met Mr shipley but I'm sure he was probably there.

What’s the latest on the Lights out in Blackham? Ive been suffering from blues balls for several years with the initial excitement.

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    What’s the latest on the Lights out in Blackham? Ive been suffering from blues balls for several years with the initial excitement.
    +1. The further we get down the road of life, the less the audience size that can relate.

9. Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    What's the latest on the Lights out in Blackham? Ive been suffering from blues balls for several years with the initial excitement.
    If I remember correctly, the movie maker, director, editor, producer had some unexpected family health problems that consumed 100% of his free time.

I'm even less aware of the current situation.

I wonder what Lamar's average per game would have been the year he averaged 36 if there'd been a 3 point shot back then?

I can remember him stopping and popping a 25 footer even though he had an uncontested lane to the basket.

I wonder what Lamar's average per game would have been the year he averaged 36 if there'd been a 3 point shot back then?
    He hit that average both his Junior and Senior year.

Great memories

I can remember him stopping and popping a 25 footer even though he had an uncontested lane to the basket.
    My most memorial event concerning Lamar was when the dunk was a penalty. Don't remember the team but with about 5 minutes in the game, Lamar with 35-40 points, and could have been over 40, he did a thunderning dunk and walked off the court (not fouled out) with even a louder thunderning cheer

Quote Originally Posted by Frenchie35 View Post
    My most memorial event concerning Lamar was when the dunk was a penalty. Don't remember the team but with about 5 minutes in the game, Lamar with 35-40 points, and could have been over 40, he did a thunderning dunk and walked off the court (not fouled out) with even a louder thunderning cheer
    Yup, was there for that one too. Don't recall the opponent, but do recall the dunk. That was back when our opponents were averaging something like 103 points per game.we were averaging 108. LOL

Did you forget the third and most important thing he did to achieve his stature or statue.CHEAT!!!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information