Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Remembering Beryl

UL Basketball Re: Remembering Beryl

"The university, only two miles from Shipley's home, did not honor him for his championship career until a reunion ceremony in January, when he was too sick to attend. There has never been a school-sponsored celebration of his role in the integration of team sports in the Deep South, no plaque with fancy script etched into the metal. Until the school hired Bob Marlin in March 2010 to coach the team, Shipley was persona non grata to many of the people associated with the program. Marlin changed that by showing up at Shipley's home at odd hours to talk X's and O's with him and by calling him from road trips to let the old coach know how much he meant to him."
    From John Ed Bradley's article in Sports Illustrated May 2, 2011.
    https://www.si.com/vault/2011/05/02/.ipley-19262011

2. Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    "The university, only two miles from Shipley's home, did not honor him for his championship career until a reunion ceremony in January, when he was too sick to attend. There has never been a school-sponsored celebration of his role in the integration of team sports in the Deep South, no plaque with fancy script etched into the metal. Until the school hired Bob Marlin in March 2010 to coach the team, Shipley was persona non grata to many of the people associated with the program. Marlin changed that by showing up at Shipley's home at odd hours to talk X's and O's with him and by calling him from road trips to let the old coach know how much he meant to him."
    From John Ed Bradley's article in Sports Illustrated May 2, 2011.
    https://www.si.com/vault/2011/05/02/.ipley-19262011
    Just one of the reasons I have respect for Bob Marlin.

Never met the man.

Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Please tell me this documentary "Lights out in Blackham" is going to happen in the near future. The build up was tremendous!

Quote Originally Posted by chauncey View Post
    Please tell me this documentary "Lights out in Blackham" is going to happen in the near future. The build up was tremendous!
    Yeah. No. I wouldn’t get your hopes up.

Speaking of Lamar, anyone remember the opening of our game against Marshall in the 1972 NCAA playoffs? We controlled the tip and got the ball over to Lamar. He drove over to the sideline and almost standing on the line nailed a shot from that hashmark. How far is that hashmark from the basket?

That's terrible if this project never makes it to a small screen.

I highly doubt it.

Quote Originally Posted by Big Buds View Post
    I highly doubt it.
    Disappointing.

9. Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunfanatico View Post
    “I asked him what he wanted to do here,” said Tom Cox, a 1965 assistant coach hire who became Shipley’s right-hand man and lifelong friend. “He said he wanted to win it all, and not just the NAIA championship. He wanted to compete in the major college division of the NCAA and beat the country’s best programs.

“I told him we’ve got to do two things … we’ve got to upgrade our schedule, and we’ve got to recruit black players.”

Upgrade the schedule? Haven't I heard that somewhere before?
    The correct answer should have been, we need to do 3 things.upgrade the schedule.recruit black players and CHEATCHEAT.CHEAT

Fade to black.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunPride View Post
    Fade to black.
    You are a "ham"!

That's terrible if this project never makes it to a small screen.
    Certainly glad I never donated to the project.

13. Default Re: Remembering Beryl

Douglas Domingue went though a 'no fault' family emergency that changed his life focus.

Hopefully someday we may see the final product.

This is the sort of opportunity that Lierfield could finish up. They may have access to production facilities, finish the production, generate some revenue with spot or barter sales and then syndicate out to markets across the country.

Its content, and everyone in the media landscape is after "content"

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information