Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Q&A with Louisiana FB coach Billy Napier

1. UL Football Q&A with Louisiana FB coach Billy Napier

The Advocate: In your first news conference, you talked about knowing the potential of the UL program. How and when did you first become aware of the Cajuns?

NAPIER: I think, to be honest, it was during the good times during Hud's career, we were playing a common opponent and I saw the film. As I recruited this state and got comfortable with the dynamics, you think about the potential. Where I was, we were always competing against LSU, but you also got a feel for the type of football in the state. I always heard about the facility commitment that was made the last couple of years here, and I had some friends on the staff. I knew they had done very well, they had a good thing going. They didn't perform quite like they would have liked over the last couple of years, but certainly they made themselves significant

Default Re: Q&A with Louisiana FB coach Billy Napier

I absolutely love this guy's no nonsense approach. No cliche's. No coachspeak. Just straightforward answers.

When's the first game?

Ruffin Rodrigue was on Ben Loves show yesterday and said he spoke to Napier last week. He said when the job opened Napier and Sale looked at each other and knew this is where they wanted to be. That's not an exact quote but it tells me he knows the potential in this area and he wants to unlock it.

" This is a talent acquisition business, and I firmly believe our staff is going to be tireless in our efforts in this area."

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    I absolutely love this guy's no nonsense approach. No cliche's. No coachspeak. Just straightforward answers.

When's the first game?
    Same here. What we need is a great coach, with a great football brain.and every time he speaks you can tell that he has both those qualities.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post

When's the first game?
    Sept. 1, 2018.
    Grambling
    I hope the stadium looks like this!

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Sept. 1, 2018.
    Grambling
    Not me I hope it still has seats, concessions and restrooms in the south end zone.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    Sept. 1, 2018.
    Grambling
    I kinda like the red end zones still.

Would be nice to have it filled to capacity like that. Except with much more red

Quote Originally Posted by FacelessBuffoon View Post
    Not me I hope it still has seats, concessions and restrooms in the south end zone.
    Last year you had your pick of seats, no waiting at the concession stand and clean restrooms!

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    Same here. What we need is a great coach, with a great football brain.and every time he speaks you can tell that he has both those qualities.
    What I like most is he seems to believe it’s the process that yields the results.

Build the program on a foundation of sound process, not smoke and mirrors.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    What I like most is he seems to believe it's the process that yields the results.

Build the program on a foundation of sound process, not smoke and mirrors.
    After listening to his first speech I turned around to my buddy "this guy is not selling snake oil like the last one I love it "

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    After listening to his first speech I turned around to my buddy "this guy is not selling snake oil like the last one I love it "
    I'm not going to diminish what Hud accomplished the first few years, even though his methods eventually were not sound enough to yield long term success. He came into a program that needed motivation, a spark, some excitement. And he delivered that in spades. We have a castle of an APC, 4 very memorable bowl experiences, and the ability to hire who we just did and pay his staff 2 million in large part due to what Hud did accomplish.

I really believe we needed Bustle when we got himhe rebuilt us from nothing then hit a ceiling due his limitationsHud came in with a different set of skills and moved the program to another level.but was ultimately stopped by his limitations. I hope, and it appears, we have found that guy that lays the proper foundation for long term, sustainable, high level success.

14. Default Re: Q&A with Louisiana FB coach Billy Napier

I'm not going to diminish what Hud accomplished the first few years, even though his methods eventually were not sound enough to yield long term success. He came into a program that needed motivation, a spark, some excitement. And he delivered that in spades. We have a castle of an APC, 4 very memorable bowl experiences, and the ability to hire who we just did and pay his staff 2 million in large part due to what Hud did accomplish.

I really believe we needed Bustle when we got himhe rebuilt us from nothing then hit a ceiling due his limitationsHud came in with a different set of skills and moved the program to another level.but was ultimately stopped by his limitations. I hope, and it appears, we have found that guy that lays the proper foundation for long term, sustainable, high level success.
    This ^

Yes!!!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information