Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Coaches Matter

UL Football Coaches Matter

I like this quote, "

Coaching changes do not slow down programs; bad hires do.
    "
    This article speaks to the importance of a university making the right hire for a new head football coach.
    https://www.nytimes.com/2016/11/27/s.20of%20Houston

Ragin' Cajuns Re: Coaches Matter

good article. I hate to agree with him re: txam. they have so much money over there it's scary.

Default Re: Coaches Matter

Quote Originally Posted by CajunSaint View Post
    good article. I hate to agree with him re: txam. they have so much money over there it's scary.
    Yeah, all the "why would Fisher leave Florida State for Texas A&M?" folks in the national media had no clue.

A quote from the link above with a new coach, "with virtually the same roster from that 5-7 team — went 10-3, finishing the season ranked 12th". Does that give us hope in the coming season?

5. Default Re: Coaches Matter

Cannot ever compare based on win loss records of anyone in a vacuum. It’s all individual circumstances. Do you think our non starters on this bad defensive team can with mostly freshman truly be that improved. Can we get competitive offensive lineman in year one.

Both these things are highly unlikely. Additionally there’s no consensus 1A QB at UL.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Cannot ever compare based on win loss records of anyone in a vacuum. It’s all individual circumstances. Do you think our non starters on this bad defensive team can with mostly freshman truly be that improved. Can we get competitive offensive lineman in year one.

Both these things are highly unlikely. Additionally there’s no consensus 1A QB at UL.
    Jerry, if Hud was coming back, l'D totally agree with you. And you may still be right, but l think Napier & staff may be able to cobble together enough to win some games that we wouldn't have under last year's regime. Not that l'm expecting big things next season. I am not. But l think with new recruiters & better coaching, 2018 might be a little bit better than we thought a month ago.

7. Default Re: Coaches Matter

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    Jerry, if Hud was coming back, l'D totally agree with you. And you may still be right, but l think Napier & staff may be able to cobble together enough to win some games that we wouldn't have under last year's regime. Not that l'm expecting big things next season. I am not. But l think with new recruiters & better coaching, 2018 might be a little bit better than we thought a month ago.
    I’m all in.

Quote Originally Posted by RaginFan2 View Post
    It is not unrealistic to think we can get to 6 or 7 wins, but we have so many holes on Defense it will be tough to do much better than that. I just hope we can outscore a few teams next year.

Quote Originally Posted by MetryCajun View Post
    It is not unrealistic to think we can get to 6 or 7 wins, but we have so many holes on Defense it will be tough to do much better than that. I just hope we can outscore a few teams next year.
    Well, even App fans said that it was obvious that the team had quit on Hud. While we got blown out by them, how many close games might we have won had those boys been playing at 100% for Hud? Coaching matters.

10. Default Re: Coaches Matter

IMO we quit the week before Ga Southern.

Ummm, you realize coach Hud ain’t coming back next year right? We have a coach that wants to win games and will get his players to play. Why all the negative vibes?

We have to outscore every team we want to beat. That’s how it all works. The days of determining the winner by turnover margin are over.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    We have to outscore every team we want to beat. That’s how it all works. The days of determining the winner by turnover margin are over.
    😁

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    Turnovers are important in close, competitive games. Getting your arse handed to you on line of scrimmage is almost always an ugly loss. We had several games where the latter was true. Several games were over in 1st half. Only exception was ULM. They took foot off throttle too early & it almost cost them.

Quote Originally Posted by Kid Cajun View Post
    Ummm, you realize coach Hud ain’t coming back next year right? We have a coach that wants to win games and will get his players to play. Why all the negative vibes?
    Ummm, you do realize we have little returning talent on a very weak defense. Who is playing LB? Or CB? Without a major infusion of talent we will be bad on that side of the ball. 2 win improvement would be monumental in my opinion and show we are on the right track.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information