Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 105, Nicholls 80

Default Re: GameON: Louisiana at Nicholls

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Most of run was with Justin Miller in for Bryce. He did a fine job and did not force things like he did against McNeese. Made some free throws, drew charges, made some nice passes, and made more layups than Bryce was making. Zone was key as it slowed Nicholls down. It seems strange that you would use a zone against a team that likes threes. However the Colonels like to shoot transition threes off turnovers from their press. They seemed to struggle when it was more of a half court setup. Once they stopped scoring, they could not press us and that is how they got a lead. When they did the adjustment to throw it over the top of them and let Gant go get it was successful. Anyone count how many "and ones" we got by doing that, it was several. I was surprised Nicholls stayed with that so long. Winning by 25 on the road without your point guard is satisfying. If Stroman had played we may never had been in trouble as he would have handled the press. I wonder if they play him against Loyola. I understand wanting him to be 100% for Tech but if you hold him out till then it will be two weeks since he played and he could be rusty. I guess you hold him out and go at him hard in practice with better athletes than Loyola has. Going forward if we find ourselves down by 10 in second half on the road in a conference game, perhaps we can take something form this game and know we can come back.
    I agree with most of what you said. Conference competition will be tougher. What was Nicholls fg% against the zone? I don't see another team going that cold. Defeating their press definitely helped us to shoot something like 80% in the second half. I don't see that happening again; shooting that high a percentage! I thought coach almost waited too late to go to the zone. Miller did play better tonight. A lot of players contributed. I think the bench just got a little deeper tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by IberiaCajun View Post
    I agree with most of what you said. Conference competition will be tougher. What was Nicholls fg% against the zone? I don't see another team going that cold. Defeating their press definitely helped us to shoot something like 80% in the second half. I don't see that happening again; shooting that high a percentage! I thought coach almost waited too late to go to the zone. Miller did play better tonight. A lot of players contributed. I think the bench just got a little deeper tonight.
    Nicholls shot well less than 20% when we went to zone. You are right in that you can't expect a team to go that cold and stay there quite often. However, our guys did a real good job in the zone. They moved quickly to cover the perimeter shooters as the ball was swung from side to side. You are also correct in that a team won't stay in a press as long as Nicholls did. Hopefullly we have STroman healthy for hose games.

3. Default

Nicholls shot well less than 20% when we went to zone. You are right in that you can't expect a team to go that cold and stay there quite often. However, our guys did a real good job in the zone. They moved quickly to cover the perimeter shooters as the ball was swung from side to side. You are also correct in that a team won't stay in a press as long as Nicholls did. Hopefullly we have STroman healthy for hose games.
    Great zone defense is great man within your area.anticipation helps to get to the man being passed to to get the man for man set upIf the match up is played correctly it does almost look like manthe 2-3 also helps defend the feed passes to the biggies down low.I remember Southhall's trying to cross the lane and being cut off by three guys teaming up down lowlove Syracuse's through the years!!!

Beat down

Most of run was with Justin Miller in for Bryce. He did a fine job and did not force things like he did against McNeese. Made some free throws, drew charges, made some nice passes, and made more layups than Bryce was making. Zone was key as it slowed Nicholls down. It seems strange that you would use a zone against a team that likes threes. However the Colonels like to shoot transition threes off turnovers from their press. They seemed to struggle when it was more of a half court setup. Once they stopped scoring, they could not press us and that is how they got a lead. When they did the adjustment to throw it over the top of them and let Gant go get it was successful. Anyone count how many "and ones" we got by doing that, it was several. I was surprised Nicholls stayed with that so long. Winning by 25 on the road without your point guard is satisfying. If Stroman had played we may never had been in trouble as he would have handled the press. I wonder if they play him against Loyola. I understand wanting him to be 100% for Tech but if you hold him out till then it will be two weeks since he played and he could be rusty. I guess you hold him out and go at him hard in practice with better athletes than Loyola has. Going forward if we find ourselves down by 10 in second half on the road in a conference game, perhaps we can take something form this game and know we can come back.
    Great summary. Now, do you remember the prize the guy won for the layup, free throw and 3 pointer? That may have been the wieredest prize ever.

The depth really showed tonight, doing that without Stroman and making the big run with Bryce on the bench was impressive. I thought Marquetti really stepped it up rebounding when Bryce got the 4th foul, he is a well rounded player. Stove seems to be over the injury, he was leaping out the gym on some of those dunks and rebounds as well. It really was a fun atmosphere to watch a game in. I agree that Nicholls is a pretty good team, they will be near the top of the Southland. Overall a great win.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Great summary. Now, do you remember the prize the guy won for the layup, free throw and 3 pointer? That may have been the wieredest prize ever.
    Hotel night. My wife and I had a good laugh about that.

I was impressed with Nicholls press. Small time basketball gym. Nice location on campus. Fairly good student turn out. Makes me appreciate the Cajundome a whole lot even without my cup holder.

A night at the Hampton Inn of Thibodeaux. That’s kind of a head scratcher.

Ragin' Cajuns Re: GameON: Louisiana at Nicholls

Quote Originally Posted by angeleast View Post
    I ll take Stevie P any day Not boring
    no! never!! not him, please.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 105, Nicholls 80

I listened to the video feed and it was pretty good. The announcers were very respectful to The Cajuns and actually used "UL" and "Louisiana." The also seemed to be knowledgeable about both teams. They once stated that the Cajun team was an "elite upper mid major."

One thing that has to be said is that the coaches made some excellent adjustments to neutralize that nagging press. I think if the Cajuns would not have started those long football style passing that some of the Nichols players would have ended up fouling out. The were were getting a lot of fouls.

Default Re: MBB Preview: Louisiana at Nicholls

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    UL should not do more than a 2-Home and 1-Away with schools like Nicholls.

At the same time UL should be doing as many 2-Away, 1-Home games as possible with P5 (basketball focused) schools. 3-1 if that is what it takes to get the ball rolling.

This approach is the only way to get back to Home-Home with peers from around the country.

jmo
    This feels weird but.I agree?

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I listened to the video feed and it was pretty good. The announcers were very respectful to The Cajuns and actually used "UL" and "Louisiana." The also seemed to be knowledgeable about both teams. They once stated that the Cajun team was an "elite upper mid major."

One thing that has to be said is that the coaches made some excellent adjustments to neutralize that nagging press. I think if the Cajuns would not have started those long football style passing that some of the Nichols players would have ended up fouling out. The were were getting a lot of fouls.
    Until Stroman gets healthy the Cajuns will likely see a lot of full court press

Quote Originally Posted by Hudsheen#Fired View Post
    I don't know what's up with Bryce on the offensive side of the ball this year. Normally he's silky smooth, making amazing passes to teammates. He's forced a few shots where if he would have passed someone would have had easy bucket
    Just Rhythm. Can't always have it. I think he will settle down, particularly once he gets a couple good games in his system.

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 105, Nicholls 80

Speaking of rhythm, that last 10-15 minutes of the game was probably the best 15 minutes we’ve put together in a long time. Utter and complete domination. Our fans got going behind the team the the Nicholls fans just sat there stunned.

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    A night at the Hampton Inn of Thibodeaux. That's kind of a head scratcher.
    The second place prize was 2 nights at the Hampton Inn. :-)

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst . 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information