Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Give me 20+ wins, conference tourney champs over a regular season championship. Sunbelt is not a 2 team league.

2. Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Considering he had to deal with a mess his first three years here and how he has improved the program speaks volumes. you must be fooling oneself if you think Rome will be built in a day!
    It’s not Rome. Two or three outstanding players should get you an SBC tournament and regular season title we’re still waiting to be a top two team in conference, and just one top three.

Again it’s not Rome.

3. UL Basketball Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree 100%

How he rebounded from the early hand he was dealt is amazing and should be applauded.
    So no mutiny from Lee recruits, a back stabbing coach he hired whose never had a public problem with any other program he’s been associated with.

All his problems were self inflicted by his choice of players, and coaches he alleges were cancerous. Curious and curiouser for sure.

Also his claims of AAU disputes. It turns out that in basketball the AAU teams are where the best talent are. You’ve got to find a way to coexist with them. If you don’t you’re fighting a sunami. Just this week the NBA commissioner said exactly that about where the best amateur talent is. He said the vast majority of quality players are not in high school, but AAU.

Bob can pretend he’s the good guy, but if the tables crooked you get out the game, or learn to deal with it. We’re not accepting cheating, or mediocrity.

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Give me 20+ wins, conference tourney champs over a regular season championship. Sunbelt is not a 2 team league.
    We really won't know what type of team we have until a few games into conference play. I don't think we can rely on past performance in this case to make a prediction on this year's team. After all we have never had three transfers from P5 programs being significant contributors. I have no idea how we will do in conference other than to say I expect us to win more than we will lose and that is obviously not good enough to satisfy expectations. It appears we do have some talent but our guard depth is a concern. It is up to the staff to manage that situation and they know it.

With EP playing in the Association, & having former players playing overseas along with the D league Marlin is benefiting from that with possible recruits.

Quote Originally Posted by ragin2112cajun View Post
    With EP playing in the Association, & having former players playing overseas along with the D league Marlin is benefiting from that with possible recruits.
    Playing in tournaments like we just did and finding opportunities for guys to take overseas trips in the summer are also recruiting positives.

7. Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    We really won't know what type of team we have until a few games into conference play. I don't think we can rely on past performance in this case to make a prediction on this year's team. After all we have never had three transfers from P5 programs being significant contributors. I have no idea how we will do in conference other than to say I expect us to win more than we will lose and that is obviously not good enough to satisfy expectations. It appears we do have some talent but our guard depth is a concern. It is up to the staff to manage that situation and they know it.
    Having P5 transfers isn’t an indicatior of anything one way or the other. We’ve had lots of players better than P5 players, especially P5 role players who didn’t work out. It only means they were better prospects coming out of high school.

As an example Gant looks really good, but I think too thin as a P5 forward. He was being schooled by McNeese 31 last night. He’d not be a solid P5 starting forward IMO, but he’s going to be all SBC 1st,2nd, or 3rd team.

I’m damed glad we got him though.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    He had Peyton and Long on the same team and could not win a conference title. I think he will keep us competitive in the belt, for what that’s worth. I don’t see him building a dynasty here in Lafayette.
    Everyone overlooks the talent on the team that did win the league that year.they were no slouches

Quote Originally Posted by ulXrunner View Post
    Again, you guys want to oversimplify this as if you have to have only one over the other. Why? If you are not focusing on winning conference titles I don't want you as a coach. That should be the primary goal. That is the primary step in building a program. With that comes conference tourney wins and NCAA tourney invites. Again, what is the benefit of going to the tourney if the chances of winning are slim to none? You play the whole season for 4 games in March? That doesn't build programs or prestige. Our goal has been to go to the dance for 7 years now, this much is admitted by Marlin, and we've been to one NCAA tournament.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Having P5 transfers isn’t an indicatior of anything one way or the other. We’ve had lots of players better than P5 players, especially P5 role players who didn’t work out. It only means they were better prospects coming out of high school.

As an example Gant looks really good, but I think too thin as a P5 forward. He was being schooled by McNeese 31 last night. He’d not be a solid P5 starting forward IMO, but he’s going to be all SBC 1st,2nd, or 3rd team.

I’m damed glad we got him though.
    I've seen plenty of P5 forwards that are thinner than Gant. Have you watched Kentucky play this year? They have guys of that frame. When you can play you can play, especially today where the game is called much closer eliminating all the physical play that would make a thicker guy have the advantage.

I'm not saying that he would benefit from bulking up a bit but that's not what's keeping him out of P5. He is more of a tweener. He has the frame of a 3 but the game of a 4 or 5.

Quote Originally Posted by Cajunsmike View Post
    Playing in tournaments like we just did and finding opportunities for guys to take overseas trips in the summer are also recruiting positives.
    Not only are these good recruiting tools but those types of games are crucial in helping build your team moving forward. Win or lose you will learn much more from those games than you will beating Centenary.

12. UL Basketball Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, you guys want to oversimplify this as if you have to have only one over the other. Why? If you are not focusing on winning conference titles I don't want you as a coach. That should be the primary goal. That is the primary step in building a program. With that comes conference tourney wins and NCAA tourney invites. Again, what is the benefit of going to the tourney if the chances of winning are slim to none? You play the whole season for 4 games in March? That doesn't build programs or prestige. Our goal has been to go to the dance for 7 years now, this much is admitted by Marlin, and we've been to one NCAA tournament.
    I'm with your thinking, but In the history of the SBC being regular season champions isn't nearly as important as luck. The regular season champions aren't often tournament champions. It's almost as if we'd do better to send the regular season champions and not have a tournament.

If we’d do this we might actually require better from our head coach than three games in March.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    I’m with your thinking, but In the history of the SBC being regular season champions isn’t nearly as important as luck. The regular season champions aren’t often tournament champions. It’s almost as if we’d do better to send the regular season champions and not have a tournament.
    Forget the immediate result of being conference champs. Forget what "it gets you". Its about building a winning tradition and with that comes consistency in success. When that pattern is built, the end results will follow. If you win a conference title but lose in the conference tourney to a hot team, you still likely had a good season and get to hang that championship banner.

You want to be able to schedule better? You want to be able to get those good programs to maybe travel to your place and pack that house? I'd say there's a better chance of doing it with a program that isn't a SOS killer for good teams even if they win. Teams like VCU, Creighton and Wichita State come to mind. They weren't born in great conferences but they made a name for dominating their conference title picture and going to the dance.

14. Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Totally agree.

Quote Originally Posted by CrappDaddy View Post
    He had Peyton and Long on the same team and could not win a conference title. I think he will keep us competitive in the belt, for what that’s worth. I don’t see him building a dynasty here in Lafayette.
    It’s worth 10 cents and a cup of bad coffee

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information