Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Winning 21 games means nothing if your not dancing in March!
    Agree but you can't say the guy is a bad coach if he is winning over 20 plus games a year. that is a really good year by any college teams standard!

Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Quote Originally Posted by mxpxfr690 View Post
    Agree but you can't say the guy is a bad coach if he is winning over 20 plus games a year. that is a really good year by any college teams standard!
    I somewhat agree, but if your schedule is full of cream puffs then winning 20 games is nothing to be proud of.

3. UL Basketball Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

Winning 21 games means nothing if your not dancing in March!
    Of course going to the dance is what it's all about. Still any team can play well for three or four games. I'm more about having a strong, great program. You simply cannot be 15/15 get to the dance and say you're a good program. We actually need outstanding regular season, 25 plus wins, tournament champ, and at least get to 2nd round of the tournament. Do that consistently, and you can begin to think machine.

With the schedule we have we have to win the conference to go to the NCAA tournament

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Of course going to the dance is what it's all about. Still any team can play well for three or four games. I'm more about having a strong, great program. You simply cannot be 15/15 get to the dance and say you're a good program. We actually need outstanding regular season, 25 plus wins, tournament champ, and at least get to 2nd round of the tournament. Do that consistently, and you can begin to think machine.
    This

We did win 21 games last year! That has not been done in a while at UL so yeah we are on the right path the only time you really arrive in college basketball is when you are constantly ranked in the top 25 and making tourney appearances regular season conference championships mean nothing, but conference tourney champs is everything I'll take tourney champs over regular season conference champs any day bud, because that means we are going dancing!
    Bull____. Conference championships are much more a sign of building success and a consistent winner than random conference tourney wins. The hottest team can win that and go dancing. That's great and all to lose the first game. That 4 game journey likely did little to BUILD your program. You put together success and a name for yourself winning conference titles. That leads to 20+ win seasons and likely prepares your team better for the conference tourney than floundering along all year and hoping to put it together at the end.

20+ wins is good enough to keep your job. It's not necessarily a great year. Our schedule has been horrible in recent years. We still have no program building wins over a named opponent (similar to football), no conference championships and we often lose to multiple teams per year that we shouldn't such as a McNeese or Lamar. Nobody claims Marlin is a poor coach but its on a same parallel as Hud where you weigh the money you spend for the results you get. Let's not pretend we go to the big dance every year either. He's been, what? twice

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    20+ wins is good enough to keep your job. It's not necessarily a great year. Our schedule has been horrible in recent years. We still have no program building wins over a named opponent (similar to football), no conference championships and we often lose to multiple teams per year that we shouldn't such as a McNeese or Lamar. Nobody claims Marlin is a poor coach but its on a same parallel as Hud where you weigh the money you spend for the results you get. Let's not pretend we go to the big dance every year either. He's been, what? twice
    Once

9. Default Re: Bob Marlin is building a program Machine

It has taken a while, but Marlin is starting to build a consistent winner and possibly a consistent tourney team I noticed one thing for sure this is the deepest team Marlin has had and really the most athletic team I like this team a lot and I think Marlin can turn our Bball program into a nationally respectable team!
    I agree 100%

How he rebounded from the early hand he was dealt is amazing and should be applauded.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Winning 20 games a year should never be a benchmark for keeping your job if you never make it to the big dance. He’s making 500k a year. We should expect more than 1 tournament appearance in 7 years.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I agree 100%

How he rebounded from the early hand he was dealt is amazing and should be applauded.
    How long do you give a coach to turn things around? 7 years, 8, 9, 10?

Winning 20 games a year should never be a benchmark for keeping your job if you never make it to the big dance. He’s making 500k a year. We should expect more than 1 tournament appearance in 7 years.
    Considering he had to deal with a mess his first three years here and how he has improved the program speaks volumes. you must be fooling oneself if you think Rome will be built in a day!

He had Peyton and Long on the same team and could not win a conference title. I think he will keep us competitive in the belt, for what that’s worth. I don’t see him building a dynasty here in Lafayette.

This was exactly my point. The only reason he has remained is because he has won 60% of his games but that is not my idea of stability or success.

Considering he had to deal with a mess his first three years here and how he has improved the program speaks volumes. you must be fooling oneself if you think Rome will be built in a day!
    Rome wasn't built in a day but I bet by year 7 it was much further along than we are.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information