Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 89, McNeese 78

Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 89, McNeese 78

Players are mad because they did not beat Ryan street by more I like their attitude

2. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 89, McNeese 78

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    BTW, awesome welcome to glasco and his new staff at halftime. Standing O, and a pretty long one at that. May me proud to be a Cajun.
    Good to hear. They deserve it. We deserve it.

My thoughts on the game last night:

When we move the ball we will create good shots. This year's team can hit those shots as evidenced by the perimeter shooting that created and extended large leads in the game. Marquetti was able to step into clear looks and was draining them as well as other guys. This was because of player and ball movement without hesitation.

This game was not as close as the final score. Mcneese went on big runs to end each half and cut large deficits but we controlled the entire game and that was most impressive.

Gant is definitely a rim protector and I can't remember the last time we had one. He needs to watch how much he swings that arm on block attempts though because refs will call fouls on you, even on clean blocks, when you swing like you are trying to put every block in the student section. Its a matter of appearance and they will often assume a foul is committed.

We have to work on ball defense. Guys were just getting beat too much one on one. That really created open looks on the perimeter which they started hitting in the second half and got the game close.

We gotta clean up senseless turnovers. We threw the ball away on inbounds plays and just easy outlets. Gonna have to get on the right track with those if you want to contend in conference.

Outside of those few things, the team looked good and I think there's a lot of potential. This is all in preparation for 3 days in March baby!

4. Default Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 89, McNeese 78

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    My thoughts on the game last night:

When we move the ball we will create good shots. This year's team can hit those shots as evidenced by the perimeter shooting that created and extended large leads in the game. Marquetti was able to step into clear looks and was draining them as well as other guys. This was because of player and ball movement without hesitation.

This game was not as close as the final score. Mcneese went on big runs to end each half and cut large deficits but we controlled the entire game and that was most impressive.

Gant is definitely a rim protector and I can't remember the last time we had one. He needs to watch how much he swings that arm on block attempts though because refs will call fouls on you, even on clean blocks, when you swing like you are trying to put every block in the student section. Its a matter of appearance and they will often assume a foul is committed.

We have to work on ball defense. Guys were just getting beat too much one on one. That really created open looks on the perimeter which they started hitting in the second half and got the game close.

We gotta clean up senseless turnovers. We threw the ball away on inbounds plays and just easy outlets. Gonna have to get on the right track with those if you want to contend in conference.

Outside of those few things, the team looked good and I think there's a lot of potential. This is all in preparation for 3 days in March baby!
    We saw the same things.

The game got extra sloppy when Marcus Stroman went down. I continue to say, he is the guy to our team in 2017. Really like his ability to run the team. He makes the game easier for the other 4 guys on the floor.

This team is deep and athletic. That is exciting as a fan, because it gives us possibilities. However, we have to find some consistency. I'm also not quite sure what our identity is yet. We can't show flashes of brilliance and then get lazy and sloppy. But in every game we've played this year, you've seen extreme highs and pretty low lows. We may be able to chalk that up to chemistry, and I would buy that argument, but we need to clean this up before conference starts.

Gant is a difference maker. He's got some special ability. It was good to see Marquetti knock down some shots, and I thought he played a lot more under control last night. I think he's been trying to force some things, but seemed more comfortable against Ryan St.

I would have liked to see Stalculp get more minutes last night. I think his development is important down the stretch and into the tournament run. We need a physical presence when Bryce is not in the game, and I was encouraged by how he's bulked up. He seems more confident and I think he's had some really nice minutes to this point.

I agree that Stroman is a big piece of the puzzle, but I think Bryce Washington is the leader and glue that holds the team together. We are a certainly a different team when Bryce is on the bench!

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We saw the same things.

The game got extra sloppy when Marcus Stroman went down. I continue to say, he is the guy to our team in 2017. Really like his ability to run the team. He makes the game easier for the other 4 guys on the floor.

This team is deep and athletic. That is exciting as a fan, because it gives us possibilities. However, we have to find some consistency. I'm also not quite sure what our identity is yet. We can't show flashes of brilliance and then get lazy and sloppy. But in every game we've played this year, you've seen extreme highs and pretty low lows. We may be able to chalk that up to chemistry, and I would buy that argument, but we need to clean this up before conference starts.

Gant is a difference maker. He's got some special ability. It was good to see Marquetti knock down some shots, and I thought he played a lot more under control last night. I think he's been trying to force some things, but seemed more comfortable against Ryan St.

I would have liked to see Stalculp get more minutes last night. I think his development is important down the stretch and into the tournament run. We need a physical presence when Bryce is not in the game, and I was encouraged by how he's bulked up. He seems more confident and I think he's had some really nice minutes to this point.
    I think the biggest problem I've seen thus far is the whole team forcing things. The offense doesn't move and you have guys jacking up threes as the shot clock winds down. Nobody will win with that type of play. Ball and player movement are key. As a matter of fact, McNeese had to go to zone because we were getting guys wide open to often. I would have liked to have seen us take advantage of the rebounding opportunities when they did this.

Stalcup absolutely deserves more minutes. He can be that guy who crashes the boards and creates chaos in the lane. It appears to me that he has played much better this year. This team is so deep though that minutes may just be limited.

Quote Originally Posted by Duggie35 View Post
    I agree that Stroman is a big piece of the puzzle, but I think Bryce Washington is the leader and glue that holds the team together. We are a certainly a different team when Bryce is on the bench!
    I think Bryce is an important factor but in all honesty, he hasn't played that great thus far. He is not finishing very well at the rim and has not shot the ball very well at all. I'm sure he will get that component of his game together but if he's the glue, he will need to play much better.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I think Bryce is an important factor but in all honesty, he hasn't played that great thus far. He is not finishing very well at the rim and has not shot the ball very well at all. I'm sure he will get that component of his game together but if he's the glue, he will need to play much better.
    Agreed. And, agree he's the leader of the team.

But Stroman is the guy we can't do without.

Quote Originally Posted by talktomewillis View Post
    Agreed. And, agree he's the leader of the team.

But Stroman is the guy we can't do without.
    Yes, Bryce is great but when he is not in the game Gant, Miller, and Stalcup can all pick up some of that slack. I think even Davis and Marquetti could play alongside Gant in the post if they had to. No one else can run the offense like Stroman. I remember Marlin stating in an interview already that the only other PG in this program is currently playing his senior year at Cy Falls High School in Texas.

10. UL Basketball Re: MBB Final: Louisiana 89, McNeese 78

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Players are mad because they did not beat Ryan street by more I like their attitude
    In my opinion that's why they didn't win more decisively. They need to focus on the process instead of trying to run up the score. Watching coach K, Saban, Bilicheck has thought me focus on the process and the score , and wins take care of themselves.

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

It was great to get Stove back last night. He gets to the rim and finishes.
    I don't think anyone has outworked Miller so far. Dude acts like he thinks he should be starting and I'm ok with that. He has played hard on both ends of the floor.
    Agreed on Stroman. The guy has been the most impactful player for us so far.
    It was good to see Marquetti get it going last night. Hopefully he can build on it.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    We saw the same things.

Agree with message of this post. Especially the part about how important Stroman in. Note the sloppiness occurs when he is not on the floor. Even against the zone we are able to get the ball inside when he is on the floor. Guys also make more threes when he is in because he gives them the ball in the proper coach and shoot position. Our depth behind him is the main concern right now as he obviously can't play 40 minutes and the injury suffered last night may limit him on Friday so someone else will have to step up. Going forward when we go to the bench I would suggest we either have Stroman or Bryce remain in the game. That will prevent things from getting out of control.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Thread Information