Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread: Hudspeth Firing: Why The Timing Is Crucial

1. Default Hudspeth Firing: Why The Timing Is Crucial

Economy
    It's coming. It's ramping up. I've been doing directional consulting in PB and the Eagleford. The work load is 2014-esque. Prices have slowly trended up in 2017, but 2018 is poised to be big. Just one operator I've done work for has commissioned 50 additional land rigs by the end of April 2018. That's commissioned, not "planned". LNG is strong and holes are being punched. There are guys I trust within the industry forecasting $3.50 - 3.80, and even the magical $4 number. GOM will not bounce back as fast, but job numbers will steadily trickle up.

Donors and Attendance
    I've not been able to get a specific number (rumor is 200 donors down), and it is true that people tend to give at the end of the year, but the fact is, our numbers are down. Amounts and people actually giving money. For example, we've gone from 88 RV Tailgating spots and a substantial waiting list to 66 RV tailgating spots and no waiting list. The is a big deal. As you guys know, we've always been known to attract the TGers. When these casual folks stop coming and stop paying, that is indicative of a much larger problem. QB club attendance is dismal as well. A 16k fan season average is a colossal failure on so many levels, but it's a message to the ADs office. The community has spoken. Bowl or no bowl.

Football Calendar
    Early signing period is a few days away. How can you possibly recruit with a Lame Duck HC? If 247sports is any indication, you can't. We have no one lining up to play football here. Furthermore, this will be our first year off of probation. We need someone in place to go out and get the absolute most out of our full allotment of scholarships. We need to rebuild the guts of this football team. With a fresh start this week, maybe we can even salvage the early signing period.

We are poised to see basketball do something special this year. Maybe even a tournament run. Why is this important? Galvanizing the fan base. Diamond sports have historically been a bright spot. Why is that important? Listen, heading into the athletic off season with a fan base that is happier, hopeful and ready for a fresh start in the fall is IMPERATIVE to the amount of money folks with their jobs back are willing to give. Things are lining up for a very promising 2018. Give the base something to be excited about throughout the year, and a fully revived football program could be easily attainable. RCAF numbers will increase dramatically. Hopefully, all of the people that reduced donations, promised more donations with the removal of Farmer and new fans coming aboard to see what the new football staff can do will all come to fruition.

It's right here in front of us. Dr. Maggard, don't let indecision torpedo the possibilities. The time is now.

Default Re: Hudspeth Firing: Why The Timing Is Crucial

I keep hearing the buyout is the issue. I can't see how. Leaving aside if there is anyone willing to write a check for itlet's pretend there isn't for a minute.

Hud makes a million or so. The replacement coach will not. Let's say he makes $750,000. That's a $250,000 a year savings that can be used to make the payments on Hud's buyout. In a few years we are even-steven and that's not even factoring in the huge bump in revenue from improved RCAF donations and attendance that we will see from the excitement of a new coach. Any additional monies people are willing to donate to ease the blow is just icing on the cake. This is a no brainer. Hud has lost the fans, and once you do that it's time to move on.

3. Default Re: Hudspeth Firing: Why The Timing Is Crucial

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    I keep hearing the buyout is the issue. I can't see how. Leaving aside if there is anyone willing to write a check for itlet's pretend there isn't for a minute.

Hud makes a million or so. The replacement coach will not. Let's say he makes $750,000. That's a $250,000 a year savings that can be used to make the payments on Hud's buyout. In a few years we are even-steven and that's not even factoring in the huge bump in revenue from improved RCAF donations and attendance that we will see from the excitement of a new coach. Any additional monies people are willing to donate to ease the blow is just icing on the cake. This is a no brainer. Hud has lost the fans, and once you do that it's time to move on.
    Here's another thing no one is talking about. Say a new coach comes in and goes back to the NOLA bowl. With an exciting season. Between ticket sales and bowl pay out. Hudspeth's buyout is taken care of just like that.

The buyout is not and never has been in question. The money is there, regardless of any scenario we can drum up to pay this guy off. The Big Check books have been ready to pay him off to leave since the Trump stuff. That is the truth.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Economy
    It's coming. It's ramping up. I've been doing directional consulting in PB and the Eagleford. The work load is 2014-esque. Prices have slowly trended up in 2017, but 2018 is poised to be big. Just one operator I've done work for has commissioned 50 additional land rigs by the end of April 2018. That's commissioned, not "planned". LNG is strong and holes are being punched. There are guys I trust within the industry forecasting $3.50 - 3.80, and even the magical $4 number. GOM will not bounce back as fast, but job numbers will steadily trickle up.

Donors and Attendance
    I've not been able to get a specific number (rumor is 200 donors down), and it is true that people tend to give at the end of the year, but the fact is, our numbers are down. Amounts and people actually giving money. For example, we've gone from 88 RV Tailgating spots and a substantial waiting list to 66 RV tailgating spots and no waiting list. The is a big deal. As you guys know, we've always been known to attract the TGers. When these casual folks stop coming and stop paying, that is indicative of a much larger problem. QB club attendance is dismal as well. A 16k fan season average is a colossal failure on so many levels, but it's a message to the ADs office. The community has spoken. Bowl or no bowl.

Football Calendar
    Early signing period is a few days away. How can you possibly recruit with a Lame Duck HC? If 247sports is any indication, you can't. We have no one lining up to play football here. Furthermore, this will be our first year off of probation. We need someone in place to go out and get the absolute most out of our full allotment of scholarships. We need to rebuild the guts of this football team. With a fresh start this week, maybe we can even salvage the early signing period.

We are poised to see basketball do something special this year. Maybe even a tournament run. Why is this important? Galvanizing the fan base. Diamond sports have historically been a bright spot. Why is that important? Listen, heading into the athletic off season with a fan base that is happier, hopeful and ready for a fresh start in the fall is IMPERATIVE to the amount of money folks with their jobs back are willing to give. Things are lining up for a very promising 2018. Give the base something to be excited about throughout the year, and a fully revived football program could be easily attainable. RCAF numbers will increase dramatically. Hopefully, all of the people that reduced donations, promised more donations with the removal of Farmer and new fans coming aboard to see what the new football staff can do will all come to fruition.

It's right here in front of us. Dr. Maggard, don't let indecision torpedo the possibilities. The time is now.
    Let me add the R1 classification we will have in 2020 can t afford to be rebuilding a team then

That is the most simple solution I’ve heard yet. It’s a gamble as far as hoping RCAF donations increase, but it’s better than the losses they are taking now.

Depending on the coach pursued, i wouldn't assume that amount.

Flat out stopping a HUD firing is the buy out. The morning net isn't there and Hud the did will be the coach next year.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Here's another thing no one is talking about. Say a new coach comes in and goes back to the NOLA bowl. With an exciting season. Between ticket sales and bowl pay out. Hudspeth's buyout is taken care of just like that.

The buyout is not and never has been in question. The money is there, regardless of any scenario we can drum up to pay this guy off. The Big Check books have been ready to pay him off to leave since the Trump stuff. That is the truth.

Why not pay the next coach on a "production" basis? Pay him a base salary of say $75k and then every win he produces is worth $100k to $125k, with a bonus for post season play.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    Why not pay the next coach on a "production" basis? Pay him a base salary of say $75k and then every win he produces is worth $100k to $125k, with a bonus for post season play.
    Chances are.any coach you get that agrees to that, will make about $275,000

The one we have now who can’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag would have $575k right now with a possibility of more. Just saying.

I don’t know about everyone else on this board, but most of us who live in the real world don’t get paid if we don’t produce.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunAmos View Post
    Depending on the coach pursued, i wouldn't assume that amount.
    $800,000 would make him the highest paid sun belt coach, once HUD is not included. HUD makes 1.15.

I don't think we should be setting the bar with the new hire. No need to.

Found this online

WOWJust WOW

Quote Originally Posted by CajunProud View Post
    The one we have now who can’t coach his way out of a wet paper bag would have $575k right now with a possibility of more. Just saying.

I don’t know about everyone else on this board, but most of us who live in the real world don’t get paid if we don’t produce.
    I'm not saying another coach couldn't make more by winning a few games, I'm saying that any coach worth his salt (and any agent that has a brain) would never agree to a contract like that. Your candidate pool would basically consist of area high school coaches.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 . LastLast

Thread Information