Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread: Who would fit and what style as UL head football coach?

Default Re: Who would fit and what style as UL head football coach?

We basically doubled the salary to hire the new SB coach. I know we're talking a factor of 10, but I would think we can find the funding to kick up the HC salary for football if it comes to that. JMO

We need a coach that fits the University and area

A winner

Someone who can close the deal with recruits above the SBC talent level

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    Sumlin is being subsidized by A&M. Much like Melvin Smith was being subsidized by Aubrun while he was here. Sumlin's career started by taking Houston from the outhouse to the penthouse. He's not an anti G5 guy. He's said as much.

Sumlin is in play. Does our admin have the STONES to be bold and make a bid for him?
    I’m a Sumlin fan. Always have been. But he took over after Art Briles who had them on very solid footing. He did a great job while at UH

He's a P5 coaching candidate. ZERO chance.
    MAT, why this comment about Manny Diaz...our having ZERO chance because he's a P5 candidate, but you think Kevin Sumlin is realistic? He's absolutely a P5 candidate. In fact, I'd bet the farm that Sumlin is more in demand than Diaz on the P5 coaching carousel.

Not being argumentative at all, just seems that your thoughts on these two guys are a bit contradictory, so just asking what the basis for that is.

5. Default Re: Who would fit and what style as UL head football coach?

Quote Originally Posted by sportsfanatic21 View Post
    MAT, why this comment about Manny Diaz...our having ZERO chance because he's a P5 candidate, but you think Kevin Sumlin is realistic? He's absolutely a P5 candidate. In fact, I'd bet the farm that Sumlin is more in demand than Diaz on the P5 coaching carousel.

Not being argumentative at all, just seems that your thoughts on these two guys are a bit contradictory, so just asking what the basis for that is.
    I didn't take it as argumentative. I'm happy to discuss.

Their situations are just substantially different. While I agree that Sumlin is certainly qualified to be coaching at another prime location next year, I don't know if the ADs around the country will "win the press conference" right now with a guy that's just been fired. It's stupid and sad, but it's increasingly more important to "win the press conference" with boosters and fan base.

With Diaz, you get a young, hot shot DC, at a high profile program that will probably be in the CFP. It's an ADs dream. Lots of flair and hype.

If we're discussing strictly coach for coach, I agree they are both qualified to be HC at most schools in this country. My opinion is based strictly on their present situations and how their seasons will be ending. Timing is everything my friend.

After I sent that question it dawned on me that Sumlin may be perceived as a "retread". And yeah, unfortunately "winning the press conference" matters.

That said, and while I hope I'm SO wrong and that Sumlin would even consider coaching here, he is a very well spoken, charismatic guy...who will get a check for $10.5 million sometime in the next 59 days. I'm sure he wants to continue to coach, but if the right job isn't there right now, I could easily see him with a TV gig until the right situation comes up. And unfortunately, I don't see how even the most die-hard Cajun fan would realistically think that UL football is the job that would get Kevin Sumlin out of the TV booth, or away from a myriad of other potential landing spots.

But like I said either here earlier on in one of the other threads, you have to make him tell you know...multiple times. Maybe he will have a suggestion of a young up and coming guy that would be a perfect fit.

On another note, Jim McIlwain was a hot shot hire at Florida a very short time ago. Dude crushed it at Colorado St before getting the job in Gainesville. His name has been conspicuously absent from the coaching carousel talks. That's another guy that HAS to get a call.

7. Default Re: Who would fit and what style as UL head football coach?

I didn't take it as argumentative. I'm happy to discuss.

Their situations are just substantially different. While I agree that Sumlin is certainly qualified to be coaching at another prime location next year, I don't know if the ADs around the country will "win the press conference" right now with a guy that's just been fired. It's stupid and sad, but it's increasingly more important to "win the press conference" with boosters and fan base.

With Diaz, you get a young, hot shot DC, at a high profile program that will probably be in the CFP. It's an ADs dream. Lots of flair and hype.

If we're discussing strictly coach for coach, I agree they are both qualified to be HC at most schools in this country. My opinion is based strictly on their present situations and how their seasons will be ending. Timing is everything my friend.
    Timing is everything, is an understatement.

If such an understatement is possible.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    We need a coach that fits the University and area

A winner

Someone who can close the deal with recruits above the SBC talent level
    I like Sumlin. He could probably do all of that and more. He's a stretch to get here... but I do think we should see before we assume he won't.

With what you just wrote, do you think the better FCS candidates (proven winners) would accomplish "closing the deal with recruits above the SBC talent level"? Or would they be more inclined to know how to take diamonds in the rough and coach them up to "above SBC talent level"?

I've always been leery of P5 coordinators as G5 head coaches... especially for a UL SBC program. I feel like their "pick of the litter" backgrounds blind them to the reality we have with recruiting. I'm sure there are some exceptions... but do you think they have enough brand recognition to get better talent?

I'll hang up and listen...

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    I like Sumlin. He could probably do all of that and more. He's a stretch to get here... but I do think we should see before we assume he won't.

With what you just wrote, do you think the better FCS candidates (proven winners) would accomplish "closing the deal with recruits above the SBC talent level"? Or would they be more inclined to know how to take diamonds in the rough and coach them up to "above SBC talent level"?

I've always been leery of P5 coordinators as G5 head coaches... especially for a UL SBC program. I feel like their "pick of the litter" backgrounds blind them to the reality we have with recruiting. I'm sure there are some exceptions... but do you think they have enough brand recognition to get better talent?

I'll hang up and listen...
    We desperately need what I posted and something that may be even more important....a Head Coach and Staff that can evaluate and project prospects at a high level....as for P5 Coordinators in G5 HC positions....it can work and has worked....the staff that he will hire is key here....there are a bunch of "two star" level prospects that end up 3 and 4 star level football players if you know how to coach them up technique wise.........that's the guts of your program....

If and that’s a Big if we are in the market for a new HC at the end of the season there is two paths to take. Either can be the right path or they can fail. That is all dependent on the hire.

The first path would be to hire a retread/fired P5 HC that was successful but not successful enough. With this type of hire the name must carry enough weight to open recruiting doors within Louisiana and the I10 cooridoor. Opening that door and being able to close the deal on more 3 Star kids than we miss on will be critical.

The other path is hiring an FCS HC that knows how to win and maximize the capability of the players that he can sign. Being able to coach to the current players in the program and cater the system to what you have instead of running a system that you like but can’t execute due to lack of talent at important positions.

I also think that there will be more P5 coaches available that were just not successful enough to remain at their current jobs who are damn good coaches. Like Sumlin or Sexy Cliff, if he gets canned, that would absolutely crush it here.

But it all comes down to timing and the willingness to make a move. Plus a little bit of luck.

Quote Originally Posted by basinbear View Post
    We desperately need what I posted and something that may be even more important....a Head Coach and Staff that can evaluate and project prospects at a high level....as for P5 Coordinators in G5 HC positions....it can work and has worked....the staff that he will hire is key here....there are a bunch of "two star" level prospects that end up 3 and 4 star level football players if you know how to coach them up technique wise.........that's the guts of your program....
    sounds like the Herb Brooks method. Instead of 80 talented individuals; you create a systematic game plan that allows the most effective use of that talent inside the system for the benefit of the team.

Greg Schiano is available...

I know I'm on an island on this one, but Kevin Sumlin is unemployed. We need to be ringing his phone every second of every minute of every day. I do not care if y'all think it is impossible. Lane Kiffin is about to win CUSA in year one at FAU. F A freaking U. We need to stop limiting ourselves.

I don't care if Sumlin says no a million times. Keep calling. Use contacts. Do whatever it takes. I don't care that we still have a HC. Make the call and keep calling.
    I agree 100%. Sumlin would be the home run. Someone said earlier he is going to ASU. Arizona or Arkansas St?

14. Default Re: Who would fit and what style as UL head football coach?

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    I agree 100%. Sumlin would be the home run. Someone said earlier he is going to ASU. Arizona or Arkansas St p?
    Rumored to be considered at Arizona St. But it's just rumor. They have their eye on someone.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    If and that’s a Big if we are in the market for a new HC at the end of the season there is two paths to take. Either can be the right path or they can fail. That is all dependent on the hire.

The first path would be to hire a retread/fired P5 HC that was successful but not successful enough. With this type of hire the name must carry enough weight to open recruiting doors within Louisiana and the I10 cooridoor. Opening that door and being able to close the deal on more 3 Star kids than we miss on will be critical.

The other path is hiring an FCS HC that knows how to win and maximize the capability of the players that he can sign. Being able to coach to the current players in the program and cater the system to what you have instead of running a system that you like but can’t execute due to lack of talent at important positions.

I also think that there will be more P5 coaches available that were just not successful enough to remain at their current jobs who are damn good coaches. Like Sumlin or Sexy Cliff, if he gets canned, that would absolutely crush it here.

But it all comes down to timing and the willingness to make a move. Plus a little bit of luck.
    I just read your post and it made me go Google "Sexy Cliff". It came up with a bunch of sexy girls cliff jumping... really nice videos. I was gone away from Ragin Pagin for a little while... but I'm back now.

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Thread Information