Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Cajuns' loss raises more questions

1. UL Football Cajuns' loss raises more questions

If it was possible to come away from a UL football game in this topsy-turvy season with more questions than you had going into it, Saturday's 34-24 loss to Georgia Southern might have done it.

For starters, how in the world do you start true freshman Levi Lewis?

Default Re: Cajuns' loss raises more questions

Wrong headline buddy.Answers to many questions revealed.

1) Hud is too pragmatic to be a head coach. Makes decisions based on past decisions and the optics vs who is the best quarterback.
    2) Hud does not believe in his players so he takes 3 vs 15 yards and a first down to attempt for 7.
    3) He is so hardheaded he will not change his mind even when he knows he's wrong.
    4) He continually throws his players under the bus.
    5) He didn't prepare his team to face an option offense, AND he doesn't make adjustments.

So headline could read, All Answers Concerning Coach Hud Confirmed but one, when is his departure date?

Quote Originally Posted by irokcj5 View Post
    Wrong headline buddy.Answers to many questions revealed.

1) Hud is too pragmatic to be a head coach. Makes decisions based on past decisions and the optics vs who is the best quarterback.
    2) Hud does not believe in his players so he takes 3 vs 15 yards and a first down to attempt for 7.
    3) He is so hardheaded he will not change his mind even when he knows he's wrong.
    4) He continually throws his players under the bus.
    5) He didn't prepare his team to face an option offense, AND he doesn't make adjustments.

So headline could read, All Answers Concerning Coach Hud Confirmed but one, when is his departure date?
    +1

The real question should be. When in the hell will they fire him? Should have been yesterday after the game.

Thank you Kevin Foote. Finally an article directly calling into question judgement of Ex-Coach Hud on multiple levels. Long overdue.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckster View Post
    Thank you Kevin Foote. Finally an article directly calling into question judgement of Ex-Coach Hud on multiple levels. Long overdue.
    This is as close as the Daily Advertiser will ever get to criticizing a head coach at UL. I'm shocked it's actually happened.

Thanks Kevin. The coach needs to be held accountable and the questions need to be asked.

The last main question raised is why is Hud still employed?

Quote Originally Posted by Redgineer View Post
    The last main question raised is why is Hud still employed?
    Thats the $1.5 million question. And the answer.

Very surprised he didn't start Jordan. His play last week was one of our best QB performances over the past 2 seasons and should have been an easy call to stay with the hot player.

Quote Originally Posted by SlickRick View Post
    Very surprised he didn't start Jordan. His play last week was one of our best QB performances over the past 2 seasons and should have been an easy call to stay with the hot player.
    Amazing, isn't it? Hud loves him some quarterback carousel.

Quote Originally Posted by ULvictory View Post
    Amazing, isn't it? Hud loves him some quarterback carousel.
    Gotta keep everyone on their toes!

In seriousness, as a workplace psychologist, manager behaviors that show a lack of confidence (i.e. micromanaging, keeping people guessing) or inconsistency (i.e. untrustworthy, not predicable) ALWAYS lead to poor individual and group performance. Let me stress the word, always. I have never seen a single exception to this in my career or in the research.

This is in contrast to the idea that putting pressure and introducing uncertainty among players breeds performance.

I am NOT an expert in sports team management but my educated guess is that it's very similar to other jobs, given that my findings are across ages, tenures, industries, job types, geographies, etc. Also, in college sports you have younger more immature players, which I would hypothesize exacerbates the impact of the "manager". i.e., a bad HUD has more negative impact on 18-21 year olds than on 22 - 65 year old working adults.

Based on Hud's words and apparent actions, he is what I would consider a "toxic manager".

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post

In seriousness, as a workplace psychologist, manager behaviors that show a lack of confidence (i.e. micromanaging, keeping people guessing) or inconsistency (i.e. untrustworthy, not predicable) ALWAYS lead to poor individual and group performance. Let me stress the word, always. I have never seen a single exception to this in my career or in the research.
    1000000x

-Starting a freshman quarterback over one who just came off a career game the week before

-declining a first down penalty for a field goal down 17 points

But it's the team's fault for "not stepping up." Let me say this once more.CHAOS

Quote Originally Posted by DocCajun View Post

This is in contrast to the idea that putting pressure and introducing uncertainty among players breeds performance.

I am NOT an expert in sports team management but my educated guess is that it's very similar to other jobs, given that my findings are across ages, tenures, industries, job types, geographies, etc. Also, in college sports you have younger more immature players, which I would hypothesize exacerbates the impact of the "manager". i.e., a bad HUD has more negative impact on 18-21 year olds than on 22 - 65 year old working adults.

Based on Hud's words and apparent actions, he is what I would consider a "toxic manager".
    Thanks Doc. One can only imagine how much this plays into our assistant coaching turnover rate as well as high player attrition

If someone other than Shultz is calling out HUD in the media, in the Lafayette media it usually means someone got “the wink”.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information