Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 61, Wyoming 70

Default Re: Gametime: Louisiana vs Wyoming

I attended that game, I think it was in Birmingham. From our seats it was hard to tell what just happened. I later saw the replay and saw we got hosed.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    Another example. UL down 2 vs Tennessee in NCAA tournament. Bret Smith makes a clean steal from Tennessee All American. Zebra blows a whistle. All American sinks two free throws with less than a minute in the game. Tennessee wins. Multiple views show he was never in two feet of hands of Tennessee player. Zebra didn’t see what his lying eyes saw. Call it cheating, call it subliminal. Happens all the time.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by Tripple Threat View Post
    While reading through this thread, that was the play playing over and over in my head. I don't believe all of these refs are intentionally helping a big conference team not lose, but they definitely seem to be biased. Maybe in some instances it's unconscience?
    That's why I added that it might be subliminal. It goes on massively in basketball. The Brett Smith phantom foul call was not subliminal. It was done intentionally to give the game to Tennessee. There was no contact whatsoever.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    That's why I added that it might be subliminal. It goes on massively in basketball. The Brett Smith phantom foul call was not subliminal. It was done intentionally to give the game to Tennessee. There was no contact whatsoever.
    Yeah, that call was devastating.we're almost there, we're in the tournament, we could get past the high seed in the first round, we're competing and out playing the opponent, and then the refs make a call like that.

I love basketball - Cajun basketball in particular. but what I HATE about the basketball game is that officials have SO much power and control over the tempo and outcome in the game. Infuriating. And what can you do about it?

No doubt - umpires have influence in baseball and referees in football, but can't single-handedly determine the outcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Crawfish View Post
    I attended that game, I think it was in Birmingham. From our seats it was hard to tell what just happened. I later saw the replay and saw we got hosed.
    I was there too.so close.

there was definitely contact, the guy clearly grabbed bret smith's arm after the steal

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by GeauxCajuns View Post
    there was definitely contact, the guy clearly grabbed bret smith's arm after the steal
    That's a fact. What I meant was that Brett stole the ball cleanly. He was the one fouled.

For anyone who is interested referee bias has been studied before.

LINK:
    http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas.ory?id=4682821

That's a fact. What I meant was that Brett stole the ball cleanly. He was the one fouled.
    i will say this, it was so egregious that even ESPN when showing highlights later on paused it on the foul, zoomed in, and spotlighted the grab, and talked about how horrible the call was and how the cajuns were hosed. it was weird to see them of all people to point it out

Quote Originally Posted by Localyokel View Post
    I'm at the tournament, and it was obvious early on in the game that this particular ref was out to get Marlin. Coach questioned this guy about whether he called a foul on the right player, and this dude screamed back at him, "I was looking right at 3". Felt very unprofessional on the ref's end.
    When the first technical was called, I was disappointed in Coach Marlin as we were still in striking range and you have to control your emotions at times. However, upon hearing what was said to trigger the technical, I can understand why he got the second. Officials need to let that go and not pretend they are perfect and never miss a call. He could have simply said Coach, I called what I saw. Understand you may have seen something different. He then walks away and the timeout continues. That is what happens in most games. Basketball is by far the most difficult sport to officiate as action seldom stops, the space is confined, athletes are tremendous, and decisions have to be made quickly. That being said, seems most calls went against us yesterday. Still, that is not the reason we lost. You almost have no chance for success the way we shot yesterday. No matter how well a play is designed or executed until the ball leaves the guys hands, success is determined by how many times you can put the ball in the basket. Hopefully yesterday was an anomaly and we get back to a normal percentage today. When officials call a lot of charges, a way to adjust is to stop your drive and pop the shot from 10 feet or so. We did not do that yesterday often and when we did, we could not knock it down. Granted that is a difficult shot in today's game but guys who can do that really help their team.

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst . 4 5 6 7

Thread Information