Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: 2017: What about Butch Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by no1cajunfan View Post
    Not sure who this John Grass is but based on what I’ve read we should be able to do much better than a someone who has only coached 3 years at the FCS level
    He’s only 37-7 in his coaching career.

Don’t believe you have any idea if Brent Pry is coming here or not
    PSU coordinator is better than our HC job.

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    He’s only 37-7 in his coaching career.
    Zero conference losses.

Default Re: What about Butch Jones?

Quote Originally Posted by cajun4life View Post
    PSU coordinator is better than our HC job.
    Doesn’t hurt to ask. Most if not all asst. coaches wants to be a head coach at some point.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunT View Post
    Jones won at Cincinnati. He couldn't get the job done at Tennessee, but their fans are living in the past.
    I agree.

Doesn’t hurt to ask. Most if not all asst. coaches wants to be a head coach at some point.
    Don’t get me wrong, I think Pry is a damn good coach. I just think John Grass and Mike Houston are better choices than he is.

7. Default Re: What about Butch Jones?

UL is, and has always been a coaching graveyard. Just thinking it’s going to be very hard to get anyone who’s already a head coach at a division one program to coach here as their next step.

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    UL is, and has always been a coaching graveyard. Just thinking it's going to be very hard to get anyone who's already a head coach at a division one program to coach here as their next step.
    I disagree. yes, it once was but with higher budgets, facility improvements, high coaches pay and a new president and AD there is no reason it should be anymore

9. Default

I disagree. yes, it once was but with higher budgets, facility improvements, high coaches pay and a new president and AD there is no reason it should be anymore
    But no one has proven that yet, so, currently UL is still a coaching graveyard.

Just1More's Avatar Just1More is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Greatest Fan Ever

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    But no one has proven that yet, so, currently UL is still a coaching graveyard.
    When you look back to the start with Hud. we were worried we'd lose him to the SEC. He would have been the first HC to use UL as a launch pad. He was a cruise missile back then. Now, he's a sparkler that got wet and won't light.

Quote Originally Posted by Just1More View Post
    When you look back to the start with Hud. we were worried we'd lose him to the SEC. He would have been the first HC to use UL as a launch pad. He was a cruise missile back then. Now, he's a sparkler that got wet and won't light.
    My question is this.why wasn't he plucked away after four straight 8-4 seasons with bowl wins which was never seen in this football program before??? He was even getting national attention from college press.

Quote Originally Posted by studentfan View Post
    My question is this.why wasn't he plucked away after four straight 8-4 seasons with bowl wins which was never seen in this football program before??? He was even getting national attention from college press.
    Because he didn't beat any significant program. He has only proven to be able to win against medium to low level FBS programs.

Quote Originally Posted by ULGrad@HOU View Post
    Because he didn't beat any significant program. He has only proven to be able to win against medium to low level FBS programs.
    And that was one of the knocks on him before we hired him.couldn't win the big ones. He would have good seasons at North Alabama, but always lose in the semi's or quarters. I think one thing we should look for if we hire a HC from the lower levels is a proven history of not just winning seasons, but getting over the hump and winning the big games when they count. Of the two mentioned earlier, Mike Houston has that history.

Quote Originally Posted by charliek View Post
    And that was one of the knocks on him before we hired him.couldn't win the big ones. He would have good seasons at North Alabama, but always lose in the semi's or quarters. I think one thing we should look for if we hire a HC from the lower levels is a proven history of not just winning seasons, but getting over the hump and winning the big games when they count. Of the two mentioned earlier, Mike Houston has that history.
    Mike Houston or John Grass would be homerun hires. Period.

Coaching graveyard applies only because we choked in Gainesville and then the violations He wins that game, he's gone.

2 kinds of coached are hired away from G5 schools. The young gun or the veteran that has re-branded.

The young gun probably had no prior head coaching experience before the G5 job. The re-branding veteran comes with baggage (Kiffin, Petrino)

Either one of these were really never seriously considered in prior searches. We focus on head coaches and shy away from controversy like the plague. Hence, the graveyard.

If we have a search, I would definitely include guys like Butch Jones and those young, hot shot OC's out there with no head coaching experience.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst . 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information