Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14

Thread: MBB Final: Louisiana 76, Ole Miss 94

Ragin4U's Avatar Ragin4U is offline Ragin Cajuns of Louisiana Ragin' Cajuns Fan for Sure

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by VObserver View Post
    The one thing we absolutely need ASAP is a coach who is more interested in making his team better than in padding his record. Every single problem you list is a coaching problem, and every one of them has been a problem for every Marlin team at UL. There is a common theme, and it is the head coach.
    I wonder if Marlin knows that he can "pad his record" if he makes his team better? Interesting concept.
    Cajuns shot 70% FT at Ole Miss but improved to 84% at home.
    Sunbelt is guard heavy. Tough to win with a lot of big bodies. Bryce shows you dont need a 7 footer to have a double-double most nights.
    Finishing at the rim is a HUGE issue. Not sure of the problem there. Back in the day, we shot layups while getting knocked around with blocking shields.
    Agree with the halftime adjustments but a big issue at Ole Miss is that we seemed flat after halftime. No one was moving their feet and trying to play defense with hands and arms doesn't work.

2. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by Ragin4U View Post
    I wonder if Marlin knows that he can "pad his record" if he makes his team better? .
    Brilliant!!!

3. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    Again, the coach has to come in and coach the players. There is much more to coaching than recruiting wouldn't you say? This is the same general response you get when someone wants to diminish what a coach accomplished. "Oh, he did it with someone else's kids" but that is only a small component of the job done.
    So he won with good coaching and talent. He became a bad coach with lesser talent. Yeah I think talent is clearly more than a small component.

Default Re: MBB: Louisiana at Ole Miss

Quote Originally Posted by CajunEXPRESS View Post
    So he won with good coaching and talent. He became a bad coach with lesser talent. Yeah I think talent is clearly more than a small component.
    Actually, I did not call him a "good coach". That would suggest that he did it consistently in his tenure. What I originally stated was that it was sad that he was able to win a conference title outright while Marlin has not sniffed one while being paid much more. He did a great job that season and it was kind of a magical season. I will not diminish what he and his staff did even if it was for a short period of time since it apparently is something our program is incapable of doing. I don't think he brought in lesser talent. i think he had issues with either discipline or retention which is what I think Marlin has as well because Lee did bring in some good players.

5. Default Re: MBB: Louisiana at Ole Miss

I recall Robert signed a class of all state players. Some left, and some were injured. Sadly Robert simply couldn’t keep enough quality talent on the team at one time.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst . 4 11 12 13 14

Thread Information