Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread: 2017 Enrollment

Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Quote Originally Posted by cb089 View Post
    Is there any future chance we can acquire and build on Girard Park? If Moncus becomes the grand central park they envision, it kind of lessens the need for a park like Girard. When were as land locked as we are, it's hard not to look at a big piece of undeveloped land next to our campus and start thinking.

Or is the St Mary corridor our best bet for future expansion? There would be a few more existing structures to deal with going that route but going thay way does eventually tie us into available lands toward the athletics campus and research park.
    I would think that would extremely unlikely, for numerous reasons.....not the least of which is that I believe there was a covenant placed on the land at the time of donation: should it ever not be used as a park, it would revert back to the family.
    This is also the case with the former Planetarium: now that it relocated/expanded to downtown, the 'old' one cannot be turned into anything other than a museum....so it just sits there decaying. Makes me want to vomit each time I drive by there: I can still remember very well the thrill of going there as a kid when it was brand new, not only for the star show and exhibits, but I thought that building was the coolest thing ever. Still do, in fact.

2. Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I would think that would extremely unlikely, for numerous reasons.....not the least of which is that I believe there was a covenant placed on the land at the time of donation: should it ever not be used as a park, it would revert back to the family.
    This is also the case with the former Planetarium: now that it relocated/expanded to downtown, the 'old' one cannot be turned into anything other than a museum....so it just sits there decaying. Makes me want to vomit each time I drive by there: I can still remember very well the thrill of going there as a kid when it was brand new, not only for the star show and exhibits, but I thought that building was the coolest thing ever. Still do, in fact.
    I'm with you.

I was mesmerized by everything they displayed, from the Indian artifacts to the Solar system displays and everything in between.

I don't think any other building would have hypnotised me like that one did.

Is there any future chance we can acquire and build on Girard Park? If Moncus becomes the grand central park they envision, it kind of lessens the need for a park like Girard. When were as land locked as we are, it's hard not to look at a big piece of undeveloped land next to our campus and start thinking.

Or is the St Mary corridor our best bet for future expansion? There would be a few more existing structures to deal with going that route but going thay way does eventually tie us into available lands toward the athletics campus and research park.
    So that makes the former OLOL property the only logical place for expansion. Once we have that we can not only expand, but then also 'stitch' the 2 campuses together.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the stipulation placed on the donation of Girard. I believe the master plan targets the St. Mary corridor for growth anyway. I'm all for an eventual merging of the main campus and athletics campus. They kind of feel like separate places at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    I'm with you.

I was mesmerized by everthing they displayed, from the Indian artifacts to the Solar system displays and everything in between.

I don't think any other building would have hypnotised me like that one did.
    As a 6-7 yr old kid, who loved Star Trek and sci-fi, I really thought it was an alien ship or something from the future the first few times I went, lol.
    I had done some research on it a few years back, and have some nifty pics of it when it...and all of us....were in much better shape. I will have to hunt them down and post them into the campus section this weekend.

Quote Originally Posted by LaCajunsFan View Post
    I thought that little "echo" area outside the planetarium was just awesome.

7. Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Why couldn't the Planetarium be used for a UL Sports Museum?

8. Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Ah, I wasn't aware of the stipulation placed on the donation of Girard.
    If it had been possible the best move would have been trading the UL Horse Farm for Giraurd Park.

Ah, I wasn't aware of the stipulation placed on the donation of Girard. I believe the master plan targets the St. Mary corridor for growth anyway. I'm all for an eventual merging of the main campus and athletics campus. They kind of feel like separate places at this point.
    Tjoe wants a tram system between main campus to old Lourdes to cajun field

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Why couldn't the Planetarium be used for a UL Sports Museum?
    Because it was recently out to bid for demolition. Was abandoned because it flooded every big rain which meant mold issues. Also may have legal restrictions tied to donation from Heymann.

Tram is a dream. From the same mindset group that wants gondolas to Maurice. Planning is good, but that's too much weed...

11. Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Quote Originally Posted by ZoomZoom View Post
    Because it was recently out to bid for demolition. Was abandoned because it flooded every big rain which meant mold issues. Also may have legal restrictions tied to donation from Heymann.

Tram is a dream. From the same mindset group that wants gondolas to Maurice. Planning is good, but that's too much weed...
    Well that's that.

I was oblivious to the Planitarium flooding issues as a child, wasn't around enough I guess.

I was aware that my Abbeville Jr. High school's basement (under the auditorium) flooded and the Abbeville Post Office basement flooded.

I was pretty much basement infatuated as a kid because all my relatives in Nebraska had them.

City bar is not on a waterway why would anyone want to boat through Maurice

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    City bar is not on a waterway why would anyone want to boat through Maurice
    Overhead, like Six Flags years ago. Can't make that kind of stuff up but it's out there. Monkee saw it in some long range dream list I think the state had.

If I remember correctly that demo is allotted 300k.

14. Default Re: Overall enrollment rises for fourth consecutive year

Overhead, like Six Flags years ago. Can't make that kind of stuff up but it's out there. Monkee saw it in some long range dream list I think the state had.

If I remember correctly that demo is allotted 300k.
    ....more chatter of the Cox rising.....a money thing, with a complete press box overhaul.....this instead of the tower building!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ....more chatter of the Cox rising.....a money thing, with a complete press box overhaul.....this instead of the tower building!!!
    This is disappointing if happens. What's the point of having a master plan if you don't follow it?

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 ... LastLast

Thread Information