Thread: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

1. UL Football UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

The Ragin' Cajuns have some injuries at critical positions as they prepare to play ULM

2. Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

By using Monroe as the reference instead of ULM the Advertiser is subverting the "Louisiana" branding effort.

Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

You do the same thing by putting "Lady" in front of Cajuns.

4. Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    All Ragin' Cajuns began in 1999 surrounding the ethnic controversy promoted by some.

Lady Cajuns was dropped at the same time "Cajuns" (by itself) was removed from EVERYTHING. Helmets, shirts everything.

There had never been an official "Cajuns" (stand alone) branding statement by the school, it was organic.

Still Cajuns never left general fan usage.

Same with Lady Cajuns, it was never officially adopted by the school, it can't be unadopted and is unrelated to the use of Louisiana.

"Ethnic controversy"? Are you saying there was at one time a group maintaining that "Cajuns" perpetuated negative stereotypes of Acadian people, and demeaned their traditions and rituals? And that the university responded to that? Was that an organized effort?

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    By using Monroe as the reference instead of ULM the Advertiser is subverting the "Louisiana" branding effort.
    I am absolutely in agreement with using Monroe. They are defiant in how they regard our name and they will NEVER change their position. I'm not going to beat a dead horse by arguing with them as to why they should. Rather, we can just return the favor. Its never going to change their minds Turbine.

7. Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    I am absolutely in agreement with using Monroe. They are defiant in how they regard our name and they will NEVER change their position. I'm not going to beat a dead horse by arguing with them as to why they should. Rather, we can just return the favor. Its never going to change their minds Turbine.
    You haven't been paying attention.

Their going with ULM had a hand in ESPN going with Louisiana.

8. Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

Quote Originally Posted by Lexhead View Post
    "Ethnic controversy"? Are you saying there was at one time a group maintaining that "Cajuns" perpetuated negative stereotypes of Acadian people, and demeaned their traditions and rituals? And that the university responded to that? Was that an organized effort?
    If that was a component I am not fully aware other than the backlash to Cajun Man.

This was around 1998-99 and the 100 year anniversary of the school

The argument at the time was "Cajuns" were ethnic and not fully representative, but anyone could be a Ragin' Cajun. That was when it disappeared from helmets.

It was also to save money. They would invest in a pepper but couldn't afford Lady Cajuns branding. It was also to hide Title IX divergences by umbrellaing everything under Ragin' Cajuns.

Simultaneously some were saying Lady was derogatory and pushed for Women while totally unaware that a previously a push for use of Women had effectively banned female sports at UL for 50 years.

"Lady Cajuns" was the organic term and phoenix that rose from the ashes of the longest death penalty in American sports history.

Ignorance of UL history and certain misplaced agendas tried to snuff it out.

Quote Originally Posted by MelRock View Post
    Man I know our D has been soft but to call them ladies is a little harsh.

10. Default Re: UL dealing with key injuries prior to ULM game

Quote Originally Posted by KajunKrazy View Post
    Man I know our D has been soft but to call them ladies is a little harsh.
    The Bad Lad's will come around.

Thread Information