Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: UL's Lucas: 'We want to be the No. 1 swarm defense'

1. UL Football UL's Lucas: 'We want to be the No. 1 swarm defense'

As he prepares to try to slow the team once under his command, Mike Lucas leaves no doubt as to his 2017 Ragin' Cajun defense's mission.

It's all about running to the football.

Quickly.

Default Re: UL's Lucas: 'We want to be the No. 1 swarm defense'

Quote Originally Posted by NewsCopy View Post
    As he prepares to try to slow the team once under his command, Mike Lucas leaves no doubt as to his 2017 Ragin' Cajun defense's mission.

It's all about running to the football.

Quickly.

Go back and watch the South Al game in Mobile from a couple years ago to see what a swarm defense can do. Namely, give up boatloads of yardage because your guys are too busy trying to strip the football instead of tackling people.

Now, I predict we'll have more turnovers this year, but it will have nothing to do with swarming. It will be because we've got some pretty good DBs that will allow more man coverage and more blitzing which will lead to more interceptions and fumbles by the QB.

3. Default Re: UL's Lucas: 'We want to be the No. 1 swarm defense'

Resurrected talk about swarming to the ball is the scariest thing I have read this off season.

After last night's performance, i kind of had a chuckle in seeing this article today.

Quote Originally Posted by zephyr View Post
    After last night's performance, i kind of had a chuckle in seeing this article today.
    Killer bees they weren't.

Whenever I read\hear coachspeak the only thing that goes through my mind is this quote from Vince Lombardi:

"Some people try to find things in this game that don't exist but football is only two things - blocking and tackling."

They swarmed to the ball so fast that they ran right by the ball carrier most of the time.

8. Default Re: New system: LA averaging 40-plus points per game

Defense doesn't feel needed unless they see a punt. ;jk

Default Re: New system: LA averaging 40-plus points per game

Quote Originally Posted by GATOR GRUNT View Post
    Could it be that since Hud gave up the offense this year, he took over the defense AGAIN?
    He's not calling the defense. The same DC we had last year with most of the same players is who is calling the defense.

He's not calling the defense. The same DC we had last year with most of the same players is who is calling the defense.
    Then maybe Hud does need to take over the defense hahahacan't get any worse!

11. Default Re: New system: LA averaging 40-plus points per game

Why did he pick up Hud's phraseology?

"Swarming Defense"

That is not a phrase the current DC used last year, but is one Hud DC's have used in the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    Why did he pick up Hud's phraseology?

"Swarming Defense"

That is not a phrase the current DC used last year, but is one Hud DC's have used in the past.
    Geez. I'm not sure why I would even respond to this. You every thought that MANY coaches have used this term to describe a defense they wanted to deploy. Do you think Hud is the only coach in the country that would state he wants a "swarming defense"?

You are correct sir. So did that same DC from last year all of a sudden forget how to call that same defense? It's just real stinky to me.

14. Default Re: New system: LA averaging 40-plus points per game

Geez. I'm not sure why I would even respond to this. You every thought that MANY coaches have used this term to describe a defense they wanted to deploy. Do you think Hud is the only coach in the country that would state he wants a "swarming defense"?
    If it is such a desirable non descript phrase why didn't the guy taking over after game 2 use it at all last year?

Yet after a summer of internal planning and discussions uses it to in his first 2017 press interview to describe his defense.

The phraseology shows influence.

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    If it is such a desirable non descript phrase why didn't the guy taking over after game 2 use it at all last year?

Yet after a summer of internal planning and discussions uses it to in his first 2017 press interview to describe his defense.

The phraseology shows influence.
    I agree with you Turb.
    I kinda feel sorry for Lucas, because he will be Hud's "flavor of the year fall guy" for this season.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information