Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Hitting woes

Default Hitting woes

Anyone notice guys that go away from our baseball team are lighting it up. IE. Sensley, Robbins. Is the problem the style hitting taught by our coaches?

2. Default Re: Hitting woes

This has been a heated topic of conversation for 3 years. Obviously there are a ton of variables involved, but imho, yes, our hitting coach and his decisions making processes (and frankly his interpersonal skills with the players) are a huge problem. Our hitters have not been receptive to his style of coaching. They do not trust him, nor do they like him very much. It's been a trend that I've been trying to (ever so slightly) bring to light.

Default Re: Hitting woes

In my profession circumstances backed by facts are called a clue I cant argue this point at all. I fail to believe that hitting talent simply evaporates by putting on a Cajun Uniform.

Quote Originally Posted by ManAboutTown View Post
    This has been a heated topic of conversation for 3 years. Obviously there are a ton of variables involved, but imho, yes, our hitting coach and his decisions making processes (and frankly his interpersonal skills with the players) are a huge problem. Our hitters have not been receptive to his style of coaching. They do not trust him, nor do they like him very much. It's been a trend that I've been trying to (ever so slightly) bring to light.
    Was hoping he took another job Doubt robe will fire the man

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by cajun_lannister View Post
    Was hoping he took another job Doubt robe will fire the man
    Had heard some rumblings, but if true, it would have happened by now. I'm extremely disappointed to say the least.

Quote Originally Posted by fpc4life99 View Post
    Anyone notice guys that go away from our baseball team are lighting it up. IE. Sensley, Robbins. Is the problem the style hitting taught by our coaches?
    Yes. Of course I love hearing how well these guys are doing, but I've also said to myself "why didn't we see more of THAT while he was at UL?" often lately.

Todd Lott is hitting .294 in Alaska with wood bats, versus .266 this spring.

8. Default Re: Hitting woes

The heavy focus on bunting takes away from actual swings and somewhat slows down the "groove" process.

jmo

Quote Originally Posted by Dad04 View Post
    Todd Lott is hitting .294 in Alaska with wood bats, versus .266 this spring.
    Actually not unusual or surprising. Lott was a freshman hitting at the D1 level for the first time, there is bound to be up's and down's. There is also bound to be growth and adjustments. Moving from .266 to .294 is a lot fewer hits than you would imagine, especially considering sample size. Also, in these summer leagues the pitchers are trying to catch pro scouts attention, thus they try to light up the radar gun no ride the fastball. In the season, the focus is more on outs, so there are a lot more breaking balls and off-speed. I'm hopeful that Lott is going to do some damage next season.

It's time to replace our hitting coach and get someone equal to Coach Deggs. Offense is important to winning games.

Quote Originally Posted by SMD7636 View Post
    It's time to replace our hitting coach and get someone equal to Coach Deggs. Offense is important to winning games.
    Why do people keep saying this like it's just so easy to go find a hitting coach that's the equivalent of a D1 head coach who got his team ranked and a game from Omaha in 3 yearsI hate to break it to everyone, there aren't a whole lot of Matt Deggs out there and damn sure not many looking to be a hitting coach in the sun belt.

Quote Originally Posted by Hark Mudspeth View Post
    Why do people keep saying this like it's just so easy to go find a hitting coach that's the equivalent of a D1 head coach who got his team ranked and a game from Omaha in 3 yearsI hate to break it to everyone, there aren't a whole lot of Matt Deggs out there and damn sure not many looking to be a hitting coach in the sun belt.
    Jace Conrad?

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Jace Conrad?
    Maybe one day, but people forget Matt deggs was primed for a head job in the SEC after being the hitting coach of Arkansas and Texas A&M. If he doesn't have some personal struggles, we never know who he is or we certainly don't know him as our hitting coach. There is a reason he got a D-1 head job after only 2 years of being here. The guy is a top notch baseball coach that we were lucky to have here. I wouldn't be against Jace at all but I'm sure if he wanted to continue I'm baseball for peanuts, he would have stayed playing.

Quote Originally Posted by Textitan View Post
    Actually not unusual or surprising. Lott was a freshman hitting at the D1 level for the first time, there is bound to be up's and down's. There is also bound to be growth and adjustments. Moving from .266 to .294 is a lot fewer hits than you would imagine, especially considering sample size. Also, in these summer leagues the pitchers are trying to catch pro scouts attention, thus they try to light up the radar gun no ride the fastball. In the season, the focus is more on outs, so there are a lot more breaking balls and off-speed. I'm hopeful that Lott is going to do some damage next season.
    Umm. So college pitchers simply go to summer ball to light up guns and hitters usually hit better with wood bats. We will agree to disagree. Lott is 6th in his 5 team league in batting. There are 7 guys over .300 out of about 100 guys.

http://www.anchoragebucs.com/view/anchoragebucs

Quote Originally Posted by RedBug58 View Post
    Jace Conrad?
    Jace needs to be a part of this team in some capacity. Idc what his title is, but he needs to be teaching compete. Something we struggle with.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread Information