Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

1. Training Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

The University of Louisiana's weightlifting team was the best in the nation, bar none.

Between 1957 and 1971, the squad won eight national championships – including five consecutive titles – and established itself as one of the nation's most-successful collegiate lifting programs.

Research and interviews are underway for a documentary about the squad's achievements, which filmmaker Nicholas Campbell characterized as improbable.

He's tentatively titled the film The Ragin' 13, a reference to the number of first- and second-place finishes the team collected in national championship matches.

"It's an underdog story. They excel on every level, beating universities that had a lot of support and a lot of money behind them," said Campbell, who holds bachelor's degrees in history and media art from UL. The Lafayette native also earned a master of fine arts degree from the Art Center College of Design in Pasadena, California.

Competitive weightlifting requires speed, skill and strength. In the 1950s through the 1970s, judges scored lifters on how quickly they hoisted bars loaded with weighted iron plates in three competitions: the snatch, the clean and jerk, and the clean and press.

Weightlifting at UL began in 1955 at an off-campus gym owned by student Mike Stansbury. Among the students Stansbury introduced to the sport was Walter Imahara.

Imahara is a legendary figure in Ragin' Cajuns athletic history. As a weightlifter at Louisiana , in the U.S. Army, and after his discharge, Imahara amassed nearly 70 regional, national and international titles.

In 1955, Imahara enrolled at Louisiana and met Stansbury, whose gym on Jefferson Boulevard in Lafayette was a gathering place for students who wanted to lift. By 1956, a group of them felt confident enough in their skills to represent the school at the National Collegiate Weightlifting Championship. The team placed second.

The following year, the team took the crown decisively, more than doubling the score of its nearest opponent, the University of Hawaii. It was the first national championship in any sport in UL's history.

Seven more titles followed – in 1963, 1965, 1966, 1967, 1968, 1970 and 1971, the streak of consecutive wins broken only when a lack of sponsorship resulted in the competition's cancellation in 1969.

The team's record, which included undefeated seasons and innumerable regional titles, drew attention from national weightlifting publications and newspaper sportswriters.

The story enticed Campbell as well. Warren Perrin, who was a member of the 1966, 1967 and 1968 championship teams, approached the filmmaker earlier this year with the idea for the documentary.

"We all came from unique backgrounds," Perrin said of his teammates in a recent interview, "but we all helped each other gain a positive attitude, that through hard work, you win – and gain pride.

"It was a shared passion for the sport – man against iron – that forged the team and its successes."

Perrin, an attorney and Acadian activist, worked with Campbell on one of the filmmaker's previous projects, Forked Island, a fictional story of a Cajun family grappling with cultural changes wrought by the oil industry and the pressure to assimilate in 1950s Vermilion Parish.

Perrin said he envisions the documentary as "an inspiring story of the UL student-athletes from the 1950s, 1960s and 1970s – from diverse backgrounds – who came together, without a coach, to organize a weightlifting team that won an amazing eight national championships. Their determination and camaraderie remain to this day."

Weightlifting at the University of Louisiana ended after the 1972 season, when the squad's last two members graduated.

Recreating the 17-year period the sport existed at the University requires scores of primary sources. Training diaries and scrapbooks of photographs and newspaper clippings kept by the competitors are particularly valuable. They'll supplement filmed interviews, and corroborate memories of events that took place, in some instances, more than six decades ago.

"Walter (Imahara) has an old notebook. It's yellowed and brownish from age, but it's got every single competition he ever took part in – every single one," Campbell said.

"Warren (Perrin) did the same exact thing," he continued. "Every competition they were ever a part of, how much they lifted, what they felt they could have done at that moment to do better. All the guys who were really successful kept one.

"You can'task for any better primary sources than that."

Louisiana.edu

2. Default Re: Powerhouse: Documentary to chronicle weightlifting's glory days at UL

This is one of UL's great untold stories.

Can't wait..

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Turbine View Post
    This is one of UL's great untold stories.

Can't wait..
    Agreed, this sounds very cool

4. Default Re: Powerhouse: Documentary to chronicle weightlifting's glory days at UL

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    Agreed, this sounds very cool
    ......Back in the days would stop by the dungeon and say hi to the guys.....lSome of the track guys benefited from these guys like Joe Murray (coached the weight workouts for OJ's Buffalos and got one of his diamond bracelets that Simpson gave the offensive line)....Louis Lenfant (ex Jesuit javelin chunker) and UL All American!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
    ......Back in the days would stop by the dungeon and say hi to the guys.....lSome of the track guys benefited from these guys like Joe Murray (coached the weight workouts for OJ's Buffalos and got one of his diamond bracelets that Simpson gave the offensive line)....Louis Lenfant (ex Jesuit javelin chunker) and UL All American!!!
    Geaux blue jays! (in before MAT)

6. Default Imahara's legacy like chapters in a book

There is a sense of history when you visit Imahara's Botanical Garden in St. Francisville, as well as a sense of pride in celebrating a life well-lived._

Default Re: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

Can't wait to see this!

I only wonder if I will get to a completed "The Ragin' 13" before I get to watch "Lights out in Blackham"....

8. Default Re: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

Thought I would bump this to coincide with Bruce Brown's article on Walter Imahara being inducted in the La. Hall of Fame.

The whole program was amazing.

9. Default Re: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

. . . is the Stansbury the article refers to Mike Stansbury?

10. Default Re: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

yes

Quote Originally Posted by CajunVic View Post
    . . . is the Stansbury the article refers to Mike Stansbury?

11. Default Re: Powerhouse: Louisiana weightlifting's glory days at UL

. . . he was a very fun and interesting person . . .

I had a boss, Dave Kernion (1964-1968) BS Civil Engineer, who told me he was on the weightlifting team. He told me that the team would say, the "curles get the girls"

Quote Originally Posted by RCFan View Post
    I had a boss, Dave Kernion (1964-1968) BS Civil Engineer, who told me he was on the weightlifting team. He told me that the team would say, the "curles get the girls"
    S&^% yea baw!

Let's Geaux.

Where can this film be watched. I'm having no luck finding it. All i see are worthless google results that talk all about it, by Nicholas Campbell. But no film.

Anybody know how to screen this thing

Quote Originally Posted by Swamp View Post
    Where can this film be watched. I'm having no luck finding it. All i see are worthless google results that talk all about it, by Nicholas Campbell. But no film.

Anybody know how to screen this thing
    I had the chance to see the screening at the Cite des Arts downtown (Dad was on the '68 team) earlier this year. It was a well put together highlighting Mr. Imahara's journey to Louisiana as well as the competitions the team participated in through those years.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information